Next year's lineup...

Barnabov

He got pts in 6 games in 10 reg season games and with 9 pts in those 10 games.

He's got pts in 3 of 6 playoff games with 4 total pts.

Also taking 3-5 shots a game.

A bit more experience and he's DB.

I have hope for the kid, don't get me wrong -- I expect him to make the roster. I'm just sayin' you can't really guarantee him a roster spot just because he played well in 10-15 games at the NHL level. We'll see how he does in camp, and then see how he fares in the season. hopefully he can be consistent and help the team out.

I'm confident they make the playoffs with this lineup. I think they look slightly worse going into the season than they were last season when they were the 3 seed. They replaced Lydman with Leopold, which I view as a wash, and Leo has more of an offensive game and can pitch in on the PP. So the only downgrade is Tallinder to whomever of Sekera, Butler, and Weber replace him in the lineup. Ennis can probably pitch in 20 and improve the offense.

Good summary.

Which was solely due to Miller's performance.

If he has anything less than another Vezina year, we're talking 8-10th where the rest of this team belongs.

Miller will probably drop a little bit, but not much. But I think most of the defensemen will have better years next year than last, Myers most significantly. And probably so will Kennedy, Ennis and Vanek. Maybe even Stafford.

i dont know thats a tough one, we have enough small dudes who can score, how bout switchin it up and bringin a beast up? or just bring them both up id say. send goofy stafford down or cut him.

Excellent question.

Ennis hasn't proven he can score on a consistent basis either, so only time will tell.

if Lindy Ruff thinks he needs more time, I'm leaning towards his opinion.

I think Ennis is going to score a lot this year and well into the future. I agree on Lindy and Kassian.

Thank you, especially for the bolded part.

i dont know thats a tough one, we have enough small dudes who can score, how bout switchin it up and bringin a beast up? or just bring them both up id say. send goofy stafford down or cut him.

THIS!

If ever there was a player whose departure would be considered addition by subtraction, it's Stafford.

There is NO valid reason he should ever play another game for the Sabres.

Jack is right when he said Ennis hasn't proven that he can be consistent, but with what you've said here, he's shown that he deserves to be given the chance. And when it comes to that Ennis vs. Kassian conversation from a few posts ago, while Ennis hasn't proven much, he has proven far more than Kassian so far.

THIS!

If ever there was a player whose departure would be considered addition by subtraction, it's Stafford.

There is NO valid reason he should ever play another game for the Sabres.

He's got talent and size, but not enough fire in the belly. Sometimes that comes from competition, pride and of course a contract year. All of those are in play for Stafford this year. He lost his spot to Ennis at the end of last year, Ennis is going to try to take his spot again this year, he got healthy-scratched a number of times, which had to be embarrassing, and he's playing for a contract this year.

A bounceback year for Stafford is quite possible. I would trade him in a heartbeat if we could get something for him, but it's not impossible that he could play well this year.

Miller will probably drop a little bit, but not much.

News flash!

We already saw Miller's drop.

Miller was Miller again during the second half and playoffs.

The question is whether Miller can somehow get his game back to where it was in the fall, when it was truly elite. Then he has to keep it there for a whole season.

Not bloody likely.

News flash!

The question is whether Miller can somehow get his game back to where it was in the fall, when it was truly elite. Then he has to keep it there for a whole season.

Not bloody likely.

Save % for season: 92.9%

Save % for last 11 games of reg. season: 92.5%

Save % for playoffs: 92.6%

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good, irrational, half-baked theory!

Lest we all forget that Lindy was saying similar things about Myers during camp last year and look how that turned out. He's playing coach by making sure these kids don't think they've already secured a spot. I don't doubt Kassian will get his play during the preseason and that will be the true decider. Tell a man he's not good enough and he'll do everything he can to prove he is.

Save % for season: 92.9%

Save % for last 11 games of reg. season: 92.5%

Save % for playoffs: 92.6%

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good, irrational, half-baked theory!

I don't really rely on numbers to support my theory. I'd be surprised if a serious observer of the Sabres wouldn't agree that Miller's game dropped off -- not dramatically but enough to make a difference.

If I had to pull out some numbers, I'd pull out these. October through January, Miller was below 2.00 GAA in three of the four months and recorded all five of his shutouts during this span. February through April he was above 2.38 GAA in all three months. April does not include the playoffs. I'll admit to being a little intrigued by your last 10 games breakdown, but not enough to want to forget the two-goal leads he hacked up against Boston, the Miro goal etc.

I don't really rely on numbers to support my theory. I'd be surprised if a serious observer of the Sabres wouldn't agree that Miller's game dropped off -- not dramatically but enough to make a difference.

If I had to pull out some numbers, I'd pull out these. October through January, Miller was below 2.00 GAA in three of the four months and recorded all five of his shutouts during this span. February through April he was above 2.38 GAA in all three months. April does not include the playoffs. I'll admit to being a little intrigued by your last 10 games breakdown, but not enough to want to forget the two-goal leads he hacked up against Boston, the Miro goal etc.

Funny, you use numbers in order to show how the second half of the season was such an "epic" failure but not when the numbers don't support your anecdotal theories.

Lest we all forget that Lindy was saying similar things about Myers during camp last year and look how that turned out. He's playing coach by making sure these kids don't think they've already secured a spot. I don't doubt Kassian will get his play during the preseason and that will be the true decider. Tell a man he's not good enough and he'll do everything he can to prove he is.

I was waiting for someone to catch on to that one. Nice work.

Funny, you use numbers in order to show how the second half of the season was such an "epic" failure but not when the numbers don't support your anecdotal theories.

Those monthly numbers don't support my theory? OK.

It's a lot easier to use numbers to measure a team's season than a goalie's season.

The Sabres started something like 30-12-5. Is it so wrong to be disappointed in what happened after that?

My opinion is based off of thursday's scrimmage: Kassian will be in juniors this year. Looked to make plays by himself. Sloppy stick handling. Frustrated on multiple occassions. Slapped the puck into the glass after play was dead. Slammed his stick on the way to the beach. A year of maturing seems to be the ticket for him.

Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe, and Luke Adam are on the cusp

Watch in the future for Boyd, Sutter and McNabb

My opinion is based off of thursday's scrimmage: Kassian will be in juniors this year. Looked to make plays by himself. Sloppy stick handling. Frustrated on multiple occassions. Slapped the puck into the glass after play was dead. Slammed his stick on the way to the beach. A year of maturing seems to be the ticket for him.

Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe, and Luke Adam are on the cusp

Watch in the future for Boyd, Sutter and McNabb

Who are Boyd and Sutter?

The Sabres started something like 30-12-5. Is it so wrong to be disappointed in what happened after that?

There's nothing wrong with the disappointment, as I think most of us saw the writing on the wall come April (or at least had a bad feeling), it's how you're expressing the disappointment, quoting some numbers while not relying on numbers, and calling a 100-point season an epic failure because the second half wasn't as good as the first half. Like I said in the other thread, a bad second half, or a half not nearly as good as the first half, doesn't equate to epic failure. If they'd missed the playoffs or blown a huge division lead or something, then absolutely. But they won the division relatively comfortably (which may have contributed to their playoff dump). The Yankees or ruins blowing a 3-0 lead in a best-of-7 is what I'd call an epic failure, but like your definition, that's just my opinion.

Those monthly numbers don't support my theory? OK.

It's a lot easier to use numbers to measure a team's season than a goalie's season.

Of course not, but it is wrong to blame Miller for the team losing its edge and to make conclusory statements like:

which are not supported by the facts.

And WTF does "Miller was Miller again" mean? He's an excellent goalie and has been since 2005-06. Has there been a better goalie in the NHL over that period?

Of course not, but it is wrong to blame Miller for the team losing its edge and to make conclusory statements like:

which are not supported by the facts.

And WTF does "Miller was Miller again" mean? He's an excellent goalie and has been since 2005-06. Has there been a better goalie in the NHL over that period?

I didn't blame Miller.

Miller was Miller means he came back to his level. He was elite in the fall and early winter, but just good the rest of the way.

I bet his second half numbers would look very much like his season numbers for his first four years.

PA, he's right. You're ALL about numbers when it's points won in certain months, but no numbers when it doesn't help your pessimism? Look, you're a stubborn dude, I get that. But you're also a good hockey guy, always have been, and frankly, you're starting to hurt your own credibility with some of the stuff you wrote today. Maybe just a bad mood, I'll hope.

PA, he's right. You're ALL about numbers when it's points won in certain months, but no numbers when it doesn't help your pessimism? Look, you're a stubborn dude, I get that. But you're also a good hockey guy, always have been, and frankly, you're starting to hurt your own credibility with some of the stuff you wrote today. Maybe just a bad mood, I'll hope.

I provided Miller's numbers by month to support my comment. Would you like me to share them again?

If you think Miller was as sharp at the end of the season and in the playoffs as at the beginning, bless you.

What date was Miller's last shutout?

As for my credibility among folks on a hockey forum, I really don't give two shits.

I provided Miller's numbers by month to support my comment. Would you like me to share them again?

If you think Miller was as sharp at the end of the season and in the playoffs as at the beginning, bless you.

What date was Miller's last shutout?

As for my credibility among folks on a hockey forum, I really don't give two shits.

Please, you're all about your credibilty constantly telling us how more impartial you are and implying your old age wisdom in every post.

Please, you're all about your credibilty constantly telling us how more impartial you are and implying your old age wisdom in every post.

Let's put it this way. If I have to debate someone about how much progress the Sabres made this season on their self-imposed quest for a Cup, then it's not my credibility that should be in question.

The Sabres took advantage of a friendly early schedule and a goalie on a personal mission -- Darcy said as much about the Olympic year helping the Sabres' cause. They stockpiled the points through January and it was enough to win a very weak division. Meanwhile, they were exposed on that Western trip and crawled into the playoffs, pretty fortunately, actually, that Ottawa didn't keep surging and take that precious bedsheet away from them. The playoffs were anti-climactic, a foregone conclusion.

What do we hang our hats on this fall? The hope that Miller can find some different internal motivation and be elite all year? That Myers will be as good, or better? Beyond that, it's the same old Sabres of 07-08 through 08-09. I don't see the progress, the manifest destiny like we saw in '98 or '06. Sorry. I really hope to be wrong.

Let's put it this way. If I have to debate someone about how much progress the Sabres made this season on their self-imposed quest for a Cup, then it's not my credibility that should be in question.

The Sabres took advantage of a friendly early schedule and a goalie on a personal mission -- Darcy said as much about the Olympic year helping the Sabres' cause. They stockpiled the points through January and it was enough to win a very weak division. Meanwhile, they were exposed on that Western trip and crawled into the playoffs, pretty fortunately, actually, that Ottawa didn't keep surging and take that precious bedsheet away from them. The playoffs were anti-climactic, a foregone conclusion.

What do we hang our hats on this fall? The hope that Miller can find some different internal motivation and be elite all year? That Myers will be as good, or better? Beyond that, it's the same old Sabres of 07-08 through 08-09. I don't see the progress, the manifest destiny like we saw in '98 or '06. Sorry. I really hope to be wrong.

Have you watched sports at all in the past few years.

History is full of teams that take games off after building a lead, teams that pile up the wins after the pressure is off, teams that rest players when they don't need a win.

Its like I said, show me where they keep those segmented stats or show me some correlation between how you finish the season and how you start the next year. Do some teams figure it out too late and then carry it over? Sure. But do other teams continue to excell only when the season is already lost? You bet.

The Sabres lost to the Bruins because their power play failed them and their top two centers did nothing. How they played in the last 35 games had nothing to do with it.

The Flyers and the Canadians limped into the playoffs, got hot and went to the finals. What does it mean?

1. So now we're blaming the team for winning games it should have won.

2. The only division in the entire freaking league with four playoff teams was "very weak?"

3. Western trip sucked. Crawled into the playoffs? They won the division, PA; they weren't fighting for eighth. This is the type of stuff that you recently--not historically--spout, which is questionable.

4. As above, yes, as soon as they lost to the Devils. Had both teams been smart about it (and had they colluded, which is not exactly sportsmanlike), both teams may have advanced. It's hockey. Matchups are important. Sabres-Flyers and Devils-Bruins may have been very different than the series that we saw.

5. From tenth place to third. No progress? From third in a division with two playoff teams to first in a division with four playoff teams. No progress? Wait for it on the manifest destiny. A rebuild takes a little longer than you're giving it. Or are you even older than you profess (and I still think you're younger than me, and I'm not that old); are you running out of time?

Stubborn, stubborn.

1. So now we're blaming the team for winning games it should have won.

2. The only division in the entire freaking league with four playoff teams was "very weak?"

3. Western trip sucked. Crawled into the playoffs? They won the division, PA; they weren't fighting for eighth. This is the type of stuff that you recently--not historically--spout, which is questionable.

4. As above, yes, as soon as they lost to the Devils. Had both teams been smart about it (and had they colluded, which is not exactly sportsmanlike), both teams may have advanced. It's hockey. Matchups are important. Sabres-Flyers and Devils-Bruins may have been very different than the series that we saw.

5. From tenth place to third. No progress? From third in a division with two playoff teams to first in a division with four playoff teams. No progress? Wait for it on the manifest destiny. A rebuild takes a little longer than you're giving it. Or are you even older than you profess (and I still think you're younger than me, and I'm not that old); are you running out of time?

Stubborn, stubborn.

When did the Sabres state they are rebuilding?

Archived