Next year's lineup...

Barnabov

Players arriving in camp and receiving the "C" isn't new. Some guys are natural leaders and it's recognized immediately. I'm not privy to how it worked with Rivet, and I'm not giving an opinion on him wearing the "C", but I'd guess he fell into it naturally and it was recognized. I'm not--repeat NOT--comparing Rivet to him, but as an example Mark Messier showed up with the Rangers and was almost immediately named captain. His reputation preceded him, which accounted for that, but he would've worn it anyway because he was a natural leader.

Plus, the players voted for Rivet.

The type of player that most around here are usually calling for on the blueline is that guy that won't let anyone come anywhere near Miller. A guy who won't lose many battles for the puck behind the net. Very little of that stuff is actually going to show up in the hits stat kept by the NHL. That stat is almost always about plays made on the puck. The stuff that the big time physical defenseman does is away from the puck a good amount of the time, so that stat means very little when trying to analyze that kind of player.

Deluca's golden boy of this year's free agent class of defenseman, Anton Volchenkov? Ranked 28th in hits last year. His games played factors in a bit, but even with a full 82 game season, he doesn't find his way into the top 10. In fact, in the same number of games played, Volchenkov was out-hit by a margin of 25 hits by 5'9 journeyman defenseman Freddy Meyer. I guess that makes Meyer the big time physical defenseman that everyone needs. He's a free agent too.

153 hits and 172 blocked shots? The day you know what you are talking about is the day I stop posting here. Guess I'll be here a really long time.

153 hits and 172 blocked shots? The day you know what you are talking about is the day I stop posting here. Guess I'll be here a really long time.

So did he say something in error? You continue to have problems dealing with the issue discussed in the previous post.

So did he say something in error? You continue to have problems dealing with the issue discussed in the previous post.

By simply including a Freddie Myers in a conversation that includes Volchenkov he erred. Just another attempt by those that support Status Quo to try and reduce the value of the quality players that were available to this team that could have greatly improved the quality of this roster that is clearly and sorely lacking.

By simply including a Freddie Myers in a conversation that includes Volchenkov he erred. Just another attempt by those that support Status Quo to try and reduce the value of the quality players that were available to this team that could have greatly improved the quality of this roster that is clearly and sorely lacking.

The problem is you have still haven't shown a correlation between these un-official stats and success. All that keeps happening is that guys like Myers and teams like the Islanders and Panthers keep showing up on the leader board.

Given that NHL general managers only saw fit to give Volchenkov a contract with a $4.25 million cap hit, apparently they don't value those stats as much as you do either.

I still have a feeling that Regier is going to make a trade.

After Kovalchuk signs, it will be a busy, busy time for the GM's of the league. There should be alot of player movement.

I don't think so. I think Darcy is truly done.

He has high hopes for the young guys coming out of Portland.

Ennis, Gerbe, Weber and Gragnani look to make a push in training camp.

We still have Butler and Sekera to fill spots as well.

Forwards

Vanek

Roy

Pommers

Connolly

Hecht

Stafford

McCormick

Gaustad

Kaleta

Kennedy

Grier

Niedermayer

Ennis

Gerbe

I count 14 forwards.

Defense

Rivet

Myers

Montador

Leopold

Sekera

Butler

Weber

Gragnani

I count 8 defensemen.

Nope, I firmly believe Regier thinks he has all of the pieces he needs.

I realize many of the fans think other wise (including myself).

No way Kassian makes the club this year. From all reports he looked a step behind in his skating a puck work. Having toughness is cool but not for the sake of just being tough. He isn't going to be an Andrew Peters, we didn't draft him to be Andrew Peters anyway. That role is dying too, we drafted him to be more of a Lucic type player and to do that he needs to be able to keep up with the big boys. That, combined with his off ice difficulties, mean to me that he needs to PROVE himself in the minors to this team. I like my players developed in Portland before coming up to the big club. I think that's worked well before, and I believe in that system..

If Stafford plays in the top six it will be a grave injustice to some of the younger talent on the team.

If Stafford isn't dealt before the beginning of the season, I bet the house his ###### is gone at the trade deadline.

I'm not watching any game that Stafford plays in, it's that simple.

Biggest. Waste. Of. A. Roster. Spot. Ever.

You have erred by trying to make a point using a subjective statistic, hits, and relating it the perceived toughness of a player and using stafford as an example.

As i said Gaustad had more hits than chris pronger, who someone in a post earlier said was big bad and tough.

Quite frankly most of the time your posts are off base and condescending.

The problem is you have still haven't shown a correlation between these un-official stats and success. All that keeps happening is that guys like Myers and teams like the Islanders and Panthers keep showing up on the leader board.

Given that NHL general managers only saw fit to give Volchenkov a contract with a $4.25 million cap hit, apparently they don't value those stats as much as you do either.

Thanks to Tyler, everyone is now finally spelling it Myers. :lol:

Just to be clear, the player we're talking about here is Freddy MEYER. I don't want anyone to think we suddenly switched over to talking about Tyler all of a sudden.

No way Kassian makes the club this year. From all reports he looked a step behind in his skating a puck work. Having toughness is cool but not for the sake of just being tough. He isn't going to be an Andrew Peters, we didn't draft him to be Andrew Peters anyway. That role is dying too, we drafted him to be more of a Lucic type player and to do that he needs to be able to keep up with the big boys. That, combined with his off ice difficulties, mean to me that he needs to PROVE himself in the minors to this team. I like my players developed in Portland before coming up to the big club. I think that's worked well before, and I believe in that system..

Once again, Kassian cannot play in the minors this year (at least until his junior team's season is done). Its Buffalo or juniors to start season.

Once again, Kassian cannot play in the minors this year (at least until his junior team's season is done). Its Buffalo or juniors to start season.

Curious if he can play in the pre-season? I would think so. Then again, if he's not trying to make the team why play him?

Curious if he can play in the pre-season? I would think so. Then again, if he's not trying to make the team why play him?

Assuming that they end up signing him, then they can even have him play nine NHL games without using a year of his contract (like they did with Myers before deciding to keep him.) If they don't sign him yet (I believe that they have another one year before they lose his rights), then I don't know if he can play even in pre-season.

Assuming that they end up signing him, then they can even have him play nine NHL games without using a year of his contract (like they did with Myers before deciding to keep him.) If they don't sign him yet (I believe that they have another one year before they lose his rights), then I don't know if he can play even in pre-season.

Based on Ruff's statement following the development camp, does Kassian even get the 9 game try out?

If Stafford plays in the top six it will be a grave injustice to some of the younger talent on the team.

If Stafford isn't dealt before the beginning of the season, I bet the house his ###### is gone at the trade deadline.

Its a down right crying shame if Stafford gets another shot this season. He may very well do much better with another organization, he just isn't working out here I agree.

Archived