Next year's lineup...

Barnabov

Consulting the most useful cap geek website shows our lineup to be something like this:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Kennedy - Connolly - Pominville

Hecht - Gaustad - Grier

McCormick - Niedermayer - Kaleta

AHL callups or guys who might stick out of camp: Ennis (deserves a regular NHL shift) / Gerbe & if they resign him: Mancari

Myers - Leopold

Rivet -

Montador -

Sekera, Weber & Butler compete for the 2 final spots + 7th D position. If they resign him, Gragnani would be 1st callup or maybe makes the roster over one of the other guys above with a good camp.

G: Miller & Lalime

So that looks to be it barring any trades. Guess our team's success next year will depend on how many guys slump/slack versus improve over the previous year. Personally I'd like to see Stafford & Connolly replaced but there doesn't look to be any improvements over them available from the UFA pool. Connolly will be gone next year to UFA and Stafford seems to have plateaued so if they can be spun into something of value, better to be traded. Gragnani & Mancari have maxed out at the AHL level, are probably subject to be claimed off waivers & might not want to resign with Buffalo when they could make another team's NHL lineup (not sure if they are NHL caliber or just AHL career quality). I don't get the McCormick signing but hope to be surprised by it. Maybe there were better D-men available via UFA than our young guys but Regier didn't want to pay for them & big name players don't seem to be coveting signing in Buffalo.

Last year prior to the start of the season I predicted we would win the Northeast Division. I don't see that happening this year but I think we do make the playoffs and go into the later rounds. The best performing Sabres teams of recent years (like 1999) weren't pegged to do much but they had the right mix of guys, excellent goal tending (a blessing still upon us) and peaked post-season.

That's all I have to offer until the season starts...feedback is appreciated.

Based on what we saw last year, I can't imagine their lineup without Tyler Ennis, but there isn't a lot of room as the roster is currently constructed. If they do trade one of their current forwards, it absolutely decimates their depth. Maybe using a bench rotation of Stafford and McCormick(please no!)

Consulting the most useful cap geek website shows our lineup to be something like this:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Kennedy - Connolly - Pominville

Hecht - Gaustad - Grier

McCormick - Niedermayer - Kaleta

AHL callups or guys who might stick out of camp: Ennis (deserves a regular NHL shift) / Gerbe & if they resign him: Mancari

Myers - Leopold

Rivet -

Montador -

Sekera, Weber & Butler compete for the 2 final spots + 7th D position. If they resign him, Gragnani would be 1st callup or maybe makes the roster over one of the other guys above with a good camp.

G: Miller & Lalime

That's all I have to offer until the season starts...feedback is appreciated.

This looks to be about correct. A few adjustments based on last seasons observations though, not much.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford (yep folks, were stuck with this non chemistry forming plague)

Hecht - Connolly - Pomminstein (No matter how Ennis performed, Ruff will stay with this line most of the season)

Kennedy - Niedermayer - Grier (Goose proved he couldn't keep pace last season on this line, blew alot of chances for K and G)

McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta (same old, same old, no heavy bodies but a great energy line)

Ennis on line 1? Unless Vanek can successfully transition to RW I don't see it happening

Gerbe in the lineup anywhere? Kennedy's spot if he falters

Rivet - Leopold or Weber/Gragnani/Sekera/Butler (Something has to give here with these 3)

Myers - Leopold or Weber/Gragnani/Sekera/Butler (Most likely stay at home Weber, but, ya never know with Ruff)

Montador - Weber/Gragnani/Sekera/Butler (the left over of the top 2 pairings)

Weber/Gragnani/Sekera/Butler - 2 open slots for D, 4 players shooting for them. My money is on Weber for sure, then Gragnani or Sekera.

I hope (fingers crossed) we've seen the last of that disaster known as Butler. Kid looked like a deer in the headlights this past season.

And of course, for dessert: Miller, Lalime

And get ready for Miller to wear himself down again with 70 games or so. Just another season for Ryan, but hey, he'll be refreshed for that June NHL awards show :thumbsup:

*sigh*

How can anyone truly expect anything else here is just beyond me. :doh:

No one is mentioning that Rivet will be out until December (I think).

Also, Gerbe will definitely be in Portland, probably McCormick too.

Ennis HAS to make the team. He's definitely in the top 6 on offense. I'd have him replacing Stafford on your line setup. One winger will have to get used to playing the off wing. Stafford can move to the 4th line.

UNLESS Darcy has a surprise in store. sure.

P.S. What happened to Mair? Did we let him walk?

No one is mentioning that Rivet will be out until December (I think).

Also, Gerbe will definitely be in Portland, probably McCormick too.

Ennis HAS to make the team. He's definitely in the top 6 on offense. I'd have him replacing Stafford on your line setup. One winger will have to get used to playing the off wing. Stafford can move to the 4th line.

UNLESS Darcy has a surprise in store. sure.

P.S. What happened to Mair? Did we let him walk?

Regier thinks Rivet will be back in time for training camp.

McCormick is on a one-way deal and cannot play in Portland. He could potentially sit in the press box like Paetsch did 95% of the 08-09 season. Mair is currently a UFA (thank god).

Stafford is useless, even in a 4th line role.

Vanek-Roy-Ennis

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Stafford-Niedermayer-Grier

Kennedy-Gaustad-Kaleta

McCormick

Myers-Leopold

Rivet-Sekera

Montador-Butler

Weber

Stafford is nowhere near my top 6, he may even be a scratch depending on who they're playing. Kennedy can bump up to the 3rd line with McCormick on the 4th.

Vanek-Roy-Ennis

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Stafford-Niedermayer-Grier

Kennedy-Gaustad-Kaleta

McCormick

Myers-Leopold

Rivet-Sekera

Montador-Butler

Weber

Stafford is nowhere near my top 6, he may even be a scratch depending on who they're playing. Kennedy can bump up to the 3rd line with McCormick on the 4th.

that has gotta be the weakest looking defense since the lockout when I didn't know who lydman/hank/numminen etc even were

that has gotta be the weakest looking defense since the lockout when I didn't know who lydman/hank/numminen etc even were

They need one of Butler/Sekera/Weber to step up and replace Tallinder to form a solid #1 pairing with Myers. Leopold can replace Lydman.

While I don't completely disagree with your sentiments, let's put things in perspective. Myers and presumably Leopold will be on the ice close to 30 minutes a night. Barring a sophomore slump, he'll be better which right on the heels

of sensational. Rivet should be better as in healthy. Butler could resume his form of his rookie year, and Sekera was coming on after the Olympics. Weber will be a delight as he takes no ######.

It's not the ideal scenario but I think they will be better than most think.

I've defended Darcy in the past. And I'm not going to say that he hasn't earned some level of derision for decisions he's made recently, and for lack of movement in the past couple of previous offseasons.

But FA opened on July 1st. It's July 8th. Why are we pretending that this is the roster for the upcoming season? Critique him for waiting too long to dip in, missing out on player x, that's all warranted...but can we not rip him for doing nothing of substance until a little more time has passed? ######, I'm not even saying give him the benefit of the doubt, or to be positive about the outlook, or hope for a big trade...all I'm saying is let's save the 'Darcy did nothing again' and 'this is our roster' posts until a little more than 7 days have passed.

I've defended Darcy in the past. And I'm not going to say that he hasn't earned some level of derision for decisions he's made recently, and for lack of movement in the past couple of previous offseasons.

But FA opened on July 1st. It's July 8th. Why are we pretending that this is the roster for the upcoming season? Critique him for waiting too long to dip in, missing out on player x, that's all warranted...but can we not rip him for doing nothing of substance until a little more time has passed? ######, I'm not even saying give him the benefit of the doubt, or to be positive about the outlook, or hope for a big trade...all I'm saying is let's save the 'Darcy did nothing again' and 'this is our roster' posts until a little more than 7 days have passed.

Oh, I am not saying he may not make a trade before the season. But as far as FA goes, he failed horribly. Lombardi was out there and would have made an excellent line 3 center. There really wasn't much in the way of RWer's but I'll leave that for a possible trade.

Oh, I am not saying he may not make a trade before the season. But as far as FA goes, he failed horribly. Lombardi was out there and would have made an excellent line 3 center. There really wasn't much in the way of RWer's but I'll leave that for a possible trade.

I get that - many of the FAs that might have made a difference are gone. As mentioned, that criticism can be warranted. I'm really just taking issue with the subject of this post. We're evaluating lines and d-pairings as if this is it...done, roster is set.

One week does not an offseason make.

What worries me is Darcy's comment that he believes his offense is good just as it is.

But last April wasn't he lamenting the lack of a PP in the playoffs? We were the ONLY team not to score on a PP in the playoffs. What has he done to remedy that disaster?

And don't tell me "Leopold".

Agreed. With this defense I don't see us making the playoffs. I'm usually optimistic about things, but other than Myers there just isn't any talent there. Sure, Hank and Tony weren't all that, but their minutes allowed us to hide that we really only had 3-4 real d-men last year. Rivet only stayed in the line-up because he was captain. Montador was a scratch on some nights because he was so poor. I don't even want to start on the other guys, they were just plain terrible. Now to fill the gap we're going to start playing Myers like other teams have played Chara (30 minutes a night) and hope that the other guys can fill in the other 90. Talk about setting him up for a sophomore slump.

:wallbash:

What worries me is Darcy's comment that he believes his offense is good just as it is.

But last April wasn't he lamenting the lack of a PP in the playoffs? We were the ONLY team not to score on a PP in the playoffs. What has he done to remedy that disaster?

And don't tell me "Leopold".

Haven't you heard? Neidermeyer is the answer. :wallbash:

Darcy was hoping we'd ALL have forgotten what he said in April. I mean hey, the season ticket holders sure have.

Not a damn thing ever changes with this club.

God it sucks to be a Sabres fan these days.

Stafford, Connolly and Roy back for another season of slow, lazy, uninspired hockey.... ######, I think I just puked all over my keyboard :wallbash:

let's hope my enthusiatic friend, let's hope...

I should be clear - I'm not describing myself as enthusiastic. Or even guardedly optimistic. I'm just saying let's not throw the whole thing out the window until Darcy actually holds true to previous offseasons' form. He's sure off to a good start as far as that's concerned...but the game's only just begun. Let's see if he's grown a pair in the next few weeks.

If you're okay with the current roster you're a sucker.

I wouldn't describe myself as 'okay' with this roster, either. But we're only 1 WEEK into free agency. There is plenty of opportunity for more movement. (And, admittedly, plenty of time for none...but let's actually see NOTHING happen before crucifying him.)

Not a damn thing ever changes with this club.

Stafford, Connolly and Roy back for another season of slow, lazy, uninspired hockey.... ######, I think I just puked all over my keyboard :wallbash:

How do you know this for sure? How is one week enough for you to know there aren't more changes coming? If this was August - you'd probably be right...but again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record...let's just wait and see. You and others who are ready to throw Darcy to the wolves will have my full support if he does nothing again. But let the offseason play out just a little bit longer, okay?

I should be clear - I'm not describing myself as enthusiastic. Or even guardedly optimistic. I'm just saying let's not throw the whole thing out the window until Darcy actually holds true to previous offseasons' form. He's sure off to a good start as far as that's concerned...but the game's only just begun. Let's see if he's grown a pair in the next few weeks.

I wouldn't describe myself as 'okay' with this roster, either. But we're only 1 WEEK into free agency. There is plenty of opportunity for more movement. (And, admittedly, plenty of time for none...but let's actually see NOTHING happen before crucifying him.)

How do you know this for sure? How is one week enough for you to know there aren't more changes coming? If this was August - you'd probably be right...but again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record...let's just wait and see. You and others who are ready to throw Darcy to the wolves will have my full support if he does nothing again. But let the offseason play out just a little bit longer, okay?

Past record with Darcy - All talk, and no substance.

I may sound like a broken record, but this organisation is a broken record.

Still hope you're right though, but experience tells me you're not.

Well, we will probably have to think twice on this roster make up.

It looks like Kassian actually has a really good chance of making the big club this season.

My question would be, how are they going to fit 15/16 fowards on a 12 man roster?

Here's my best guess as to the young guys making very strong pushes this coming training camp for a spot.

Tyler Ennis

Nathan Gerbe

Zach Kassian

Luke Adam

It may appear unlikely Adam gets in, but I believe this young kid can push for a spot if he bring it during training camp.

In any event, he is my wild card. Whats everyones thoughts on where Ennis, Gerbe and Kassian would fit in the line up and what happens to those they replace?

In any event, he is my wild card. Whats everyones thoughts on where Ennis, Gerbe and Kassian would fit in the line up and what happens to those they replace?

I desperately want Kassian in the lineup but they need to make some roster moves for that to happen.

I desperately want Kassian in the lineup but they need to make some roster moves for that to happen.

I don't really know ###### about prospects as I never get a chance to see many college/junior/AHL level games, but I think it's interesting that you guys want Kassian in the lineup. I mean, he's obviously unproven at this level, but like I said, I really have no idea where his development is at. A few months ago you guys all wanted his head after that bar fight fiasco -- don't know if it was you specifically, but I recall conveying the idea that the situation wouldn't affect his career at all, and was virtually torn apart by you guys. :death:

Archived