Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

Darcy never mentioned that in his, uh, Utterances to Mannequins.

Yet a number of commentators, fans, etc. have all thought it possible. Didn't say it was definite. It's possible.

PA, stop making it a personal battle between you and me. If you want me gone from the site, fine; it's really not that important to me. Just say so. I want my time following the team to be enjoyable, whether online or at the game.

Yet a number of commentators, fans, etc. have all thought it possible. Didn't say it was definite. It's possible.

PA, stop making it a personal battle between you and me. If you want me gone from the site, fine; it's really not that important to me. Just say so. I want my time following the team to be enjoyable, whether online or at the game.

What makes you think these discussions are a personal battle? I go back and forth with dozens of fans on here.

Your reply is more than a little creepy.

Put me on ignore and be happy, by all means.

I agree that most/many teams have made similar mistakes in overpaying players. The big difference is that with Buffalo they "recover" from those mistakes by getting rid of "young and promising talent" (I really do think the Dumont situation is similar to Kennedy, even though he was older)... the kind of talent that a team that refuses to sign big $ free agents absolutely has to have to remain competitive.

But which young guys have they given up that they should've kept? I don't think you can count Dumont, as he played 5 full seasons for the Sabres and scored 20+ in 4 of them before they let him go (also following an arbitration, IIRC). The other young guys -- Bernier, Pyatt, Paille, MacArthur -- haven't amounted to much. I like Kennedy, and I think he'll probably be a better pro than any of those 4, but it's not like they're sacrificing Myers or even Ennis.

Internal Budget? Let's see, the qualify him at what? roughly 650k? It was reported they offered him somewhere up to 800k? Then he is awarded a million and buy him out andsign a Defenseman at just over 2 mil? The point on this is I would believe it if they hadn't qualified him, but since that happened long before Morrisonn was a shine in Darcy's eye this arguement is totally D Bunked!

Internal Budget my a$.

It'll be most likely Ennis-Connolly-Pomminstein on line 2 which you can kiss the Calder trophy goodbye for Ennis with Pomminsteins miss the net shots and Connolly's dissappearing acts.

The other guys beat me to it on the 2-way contract being the key.

As for Ennis-TC-Pommer -- you aren't looking forward to seeing that line? Ennis getting a lot of ice time with 2 skilled, experienced linemates? I know TC and Pommer aren't true elite players, but that still could be a highly entertaining and skilled line.

It may be because the Sabres wanted a two-way deal, and not because of 200K. A number of people have posted that idea.

there we go.

Yes he did. He made multiple references to the 2-way contract issue.

Not acceptable.

What makes you think these discussions are a personal battle? I go back and forth with dozens of fans on here.

Your reply is more than a little creepy.

Put me on ignore and be happy, by all means.

What about the SWF maneuver you're doing with the avatar?

Here's what I still don't get. Right up to the hearing day, as Darcy tells it, the two sides were negotiating. The Sabres wanted him at, let's say, 800k. They wanted him and had the roster spot for him and he fit into their plans on left wing. The award is 200k higher, and all of a sudden, they have to waive him because of roster and budget considerations? Makes no sense.

I have no doubt the internal budget is to tight, and OSP is also so tight, that the 200k actually did make a difference -- then on top of that Regier surely wanted to make a statement about arbitration in the future.

It wasn't an "all of the sudden" thing -- the second they lost Lydman and Tallinder, Kennedy no "fit" into their plans anywhere unless he got a two-way contract and could play in Portland. But they had no way out because they expected his arbitration award to be below $1 mil, and therefore below buyout rights. The award comes back and grants the team buyout rights -- a ~$350K buyout to shed a player that didn't generate any trade or waiver interest. Then the roster spot was used elsewhere, signing another defenseman to fill the Lydman/Tallinder hole.

Yes he did. He made multiple references to the 2-way contract issue.

i am not listening to that thing again, but i recall him mentioning it at least twice.

PA, stop making it a personal battle between you and me. If you want me gone from the site, fine; it's really not that important to me. Just say so.

easy, hoppe. :nana:

OK. Here's my Lindy bashing post. I wonder if Kennedy's numbers wouldn't have been higher if Ruff didn't stick him at center for a quarter of the season and maybe he would even have been worth that million dollar award. You think he would have learned his lesson with Hecht. Some guys are what they are. I wish he would stop trying make guys "fit" into his,.. system, and just figure out how to use guys the way they were meant to be used.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford on line 1

Ennis-Connolly-Pomminstein on line 2

Line 3 Hecht-Nieds-Grier.

Line 4 McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

And where is the roster spot for a $1mil/yr healthy roster scratch that everyone is complaining about? Where do you slot Gerbe, Kassian?

I thought the complaint a month ago was that Sabres had too many forwards?

And where is the roster spot for a $1mil/yr healthy roster scratch that everyone is complaining about? Where do you slot Gerbe, Kassian?

I thought the complaint a month ago was that Sabres had too many forwards?

Gerbe is still on a 2 way contract correct? If so I would imagine its back to Portland for him until an injury occurs.

Kassian is headed back to Juniors would be my guess, considering Ruff's comments about him after developemtn camp.

They didn't really have any choice, did they? They had to accept the award IIUC.

After accepting it, they had the option of doing nothing or waiving him.

Here's what I still don't get. Right up to the hearing day, as Darcy tells it, the two sides were negotiating. The Sabres wanted him at, let's say, 800k. They wanted him and had the roster spot for him and he fit into their plans on left wing. The award is 200k higher, and all of a sudden, they have to waive him because of roster and budget considerations? Makes no sense.

I have no doubt the internal budget is to tight, and OSP is also so tight, that the 200k actually did make a difference -- then on top of that Regier surely wanted to make a statement about arbitration in the future.

What wasn't asked or discussed was if the 800,000 contract they offered was one way or two. I dont think they where prepared to give a guaranteed roster spot. They have told Ennis he was not guaranteed a roster spot because I think they wanted to have a camp competition. Now Ennis is certainly gauranteed a spot on this roster.

Gerbe is still on a 2 way contract correct? If so I would imagine its back to Portland for him until an injury occurs.

Kassian is headed back to Juniors would be my guess, considering Ruff's comments about him after developemtn camp.

Kassian has a big body but not good feet yet.

OK. Here's my Lindy bashing post. I wonder if Kennedy's numbers wouldn't have been higher if Ruff didn't stick him at center for a quarter of the season and maybe he would even have been worth that million dollar award. You think he would have learned his lesson with Hecht. Some guys are what they are. I wish he would stop trying make guys "fit" into his,.. system, and just figure out how to use guys the way they were meant to be used.

They had too many forwards and not enough centers. If they kept a center like Domonic Moore than another forward gets cut and kennedy was the last guy to make the roster. But that is an organization problem for two years now.

They had too many forwards and not enough centers. If they kept a center like Domonic Moore than another forward gets cut and kennedy was the last guy to make the roster. But that is an organization problem for two years now.

So their solution was to take a NHL LWer,.. and make him play as an AHL center,.. then compare his salary to others with similar point production even though he only played there for 3/4ths of the season,.. say he's getting too much and then get rid of him,.. giving us the excuse that we have too many LWers,.. even though right now I see we only have three.

Got it.

Here's a thought. How about letting one of the actual AHL centers play with the big club, get some experience, and go back down when they fill the void with an actual NHL center?

Here's a thought. How about letting one of the actual AHL centers play with the big club, get some experience, and go back down when they fill the void with an actual NHL center?

Probably because the only AHL centers they have are as small or smaller than what they have now...Byron and Schutz(I am not sure if they are going to play Adam on the wing or at center).

Guys who are true centers both in Buffalo and in the ranks have been a problem since they let D&B go. This is why we continue to get a steady dose of Hecht as a scoring line center when Connolly goes down with an injury.

Have no fear though, 3 more blueliners drafted in the first 4 picks of the 2010 draft will fix this problem. <_<

So their solution was to take a NHL LWer,.. and make him play as an AHL center,.. then compare his salary to others with similar point production even though he only played there for 3/4ths of the season,.. say he's getting too much and then get rid of him,.. giving us the excuse that we have too many LWers,.. even though right now I see we only have three.

Got it.

Didn't Neidermeyer just fill this void.

Archived