Zherdev wants to come back to the NHL

Bullwinkle

That's the scuttlebutt. Rumor is that team is Boston, but how can they do it without fixing their cap problem? AND he's a RW - something w sorely need.

Darcy? Darcy??? Are you there?

What am I thinking? If he didn't want Kulikov, why would he be interested in Zherdev?

So he's not going to draft any players because of the risk of them going to the KHL, but he's going to give a large long term contract to a player who played last season in the KHL?

It's not like I thought Kulikov was the best player in the draft. It's just that we could have had a blue chipper and settled for a thug. That is what rankles me still...along with Darcy letting Montreal get the jump on Tinordi this year.

Everything written said Tinordi wasn't the guy he was targeting and Tinordi was a lower rated prospect than Pysyk. I'm fine with the criticisms of Darcy, but don't make BS up.

Everything written said Tinordi wasn't the guy he was targeting and Tinordi was a lower rated prospect than Pysyk. I'm fine with the criticisms of Darcy, but don't make BS up.

:thumbsup:

Everyone says how there are not that many big guys that can do alot of things well. Everyone is hopping on the Tinordi band wagon cuz it would be awesome to hae two giants on our blue line but we dont need that im happy with pysyk i would rather have a guy that is extremely good in his own end so myers can jump up in the rush in a few years.

That's the scuttlebutt. Rumor is that team is Boston, but how can they do it without fixing their cap problem? AND he's a RW - something w sorely need.

Darcy? Darcy??? Are you there?

What am I thinking? If he didn't want Kulikov, why would he be interested in Zherdev?

if you're 65, what are you doing up posting at 3 AM?

I would sign Zherdev to a 4 year 3.5 million dollar contract. That wouldn't an issue. He is a RWer and actually has noticably better numbers than Stafford except his plus minus, but I think that would change playing for Buffalo.

He is an offensive player at Right Wing, which would fill one of the Sabres need IMO.

I'd be on board with signing him, but not at this kind of contract. A 4-year deal? NFW. Not for a guy who was completely invisible down the regular season stretch AND in the 1st round of the playoffs (which his team, the Rangers, lost in 7).

I guess but this guy is just more of what the Sabres have too much of, indifferent players. Signing this chump would be a bad, bad move.

Despite fading down the stretch in 08-09, he is a skilled player and was pretty good for the Rangers in a year in which they finished with 95 points and should've beaten the Caps in the 1st round (had Lundy not fallen off the table). He only played 1 season there, put up 23-35-58 and got just under 17 minutes per game.

He had 3 seasons of 23 goals or more (23, 26, 27) out of his 4 full seasons in the NHL. He's 6'2", 197 and 25 years old.

He was also #3 in scoring (Jiri Novotny was #4, btw) for a KHL team that finished #6 in a 24-team league this year, his 1st year on that team and in that league. (It should be noted that his team got bounced in the 1st round of the KHL playoffs by a lower seed.)

I agree with DeLuca that he is better than Stafford, and that it's not clear whether this is an "impact" move. Nevertheless, he would be a top-6 winger on this team and I could see him scoring 25-34-59, which would be a nice addition.

I'd be happy if the Sabres signed him to a 2-year deal and even happier if the Sabres picked up a 2nd top-6 forward. I suspect if this happens though, he's all we're going to get.

Why do you think it is B.S.? It was a poorly kept secret that the Sabres were after Sheahan and Tonordi.

Yes, they could have been afraid of Kulikov going to the KHL, but they missed out on what looks to be a good player. Buffalo's loss is Florida's gain.

if you're 65, what are you doing up posting at 3 AM?

I'd be on board with signing him, but not at this kind of contract. A 4-year deal? NFW. Not for a guy who was completely invisible down the regular season stretch AND in the 1st round of the playoffs (which his team, the Rangers, lost in 7).

Despite fading down the stretch in 08-09, he is a skilled player and was pretty good for the Rangers in a year in which they finished with 95 points and should've beaten the Caps in the 1st round (had Lundy not fallen off the table). He only played 1 season there, put up 23-35-58 and got just under 17 minutes per game.

He had 3 seasons of 23 goals or more (23, 26, 27) out of his 4 full seasons in the NHL. He's 6'2", 197 and 25 years old.

He was also #3 in scoring (Jiri Novotny was #4, btw) for a KHL team that finished #6 in a 24-team league this year, his 1st year on that team and in that league. (It should be noted that his team got bounced in the 1st round of the KHL playoffs by a lower seed.)

I agree with DeLuca that he is better than Stafford, and that it's not clear whether this is an "impact" move. Nevertheless, he would be a top-6 winger on this team and I could see him scoring 25-34-59, which would be a nice addition.

I'd be happy if the Sabres signed him to a 2-year deal and even happier if the Sabres picked up a 2nd top-6 forward. I suspect if this happens though, he's all we're going to get.

Why not sign Zherdev and Frolov? That would change the complexion of the forward ranks and players like Kennedy, Stafford and Gaustad can drop down to the third and fourth lines where they belong. You would be adding two "top six" forwards with size. I know they are flawed, if they weren't they wouldn't be affordable to the Sabres. If you look at it as a two year plan? $10 million is dropping of the books next year with Connolly, Rivet and Montador. Use that money to fill in the center position. There just isn't quality left at center this year. Maybe Zach Parise with the Kovi news?

Why not sign Zherdev and Frolov? That would change the complexion of the forward ranks and players like Kennedy, Stafford and Gaustad can drop down to the third and fourth lines where they belong. You would be adding two "top six" forwards with size. I know they are flawed, if they weren't they wouldn't be affordable to the Sabres. If you look at it as a two year plan? $10 million is dropping of the books next year with Connolly, Rivet and Montador. Use that money to fill in the center position. There just isn't quality left at center this year. Maybe Zach Parise with the Kovi news?

Parise isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Its unfortunate, but thats the truth.

As for Frolov, no thank you. We have plenty of depth at LW.

We need a RWer and a Center badly.

Why do you think it is B.S.? It was a poorly kept secret that the Sabres were after Sheahan and Tonordi.

Yes, they could have been afraid of Kulikov going to the KHL, but they missed out on what looks to be a good player. Buffalo's loss is Florida's gain.

Since when are the Sabres bad at keeping secrets? If I can say one positive about Regier it is that if you hear a name you can bet your @ss they are the last players the Sabres wanted.

Kulikov looks like a nice player. He just doesn't have the size or the toughness that could be of use to the Sabres.

Parise isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Its unfortunate, but thats the truth.

As for Frolov, no thank you. We have plenty of depth at LW.

We need a RWer and a Center badly.

Don't be so sure. He is a UFA after the season and Devils need to dump cap space. Zach Parise could garner a nice return of prospects and picks for the Devils.

Quote from Buffalo News:

Though the Sabres were happy with the selection of Pysyk, the disappointment was equally obvious when the Detroit Red Wings picked Riley Sheahan with the 21st pick. The big Notre Dame center, who was born in St. Catharines, Ont., seemed an ideal choice for the Sabres.

Regier and the scouts at the Sabres' table shook their heads and frowned as Sheahan made his way toward the stage.

"There were a few guys that went right before us that were in our mix for sure," Devine said. "Still, Mark was higher on our board than those guys."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/25/1094928/sabres-make-pysyk-first-pick.html

They would have taken Sheahan for their need up the middle but Pysyk was their highest rated Dman. I think your analysis of them wanting Tinordi and getting outplayed for him is BS.

Quote from Buffalo News:

Though the Sabres were happy with the selection of Pysyk, the disappointment was equally obvious when the Detroit Red Wings picked Riley Sheahan with the 21st pick. The big Notre Dame center, who was born in St. Catharines, Ont., seemed an ideal choice for the Sabres.

Regier and the scouts at the Sabres' table shook their heads and frowned as Sheahan made his way toward the stage.

"There were a few guys that went right before us that were in our mix for sure," Devine said. "Still, Mark was higher on our board than those guys."

They would have taken Sheahan for their need up the middle but Pysyk was their highest rated Dman. I think your analysis of them wanting Tinordi and getting outplayed for him is BS.

If they wanted him they would have moved up like they did for Myers.

If they wanted him they would have moved up like they did for Myers.

I believe Phx had the pick before them. They didn't see Phx taking him - whether they inquired as to trading the pick we don't know. But I think they took the chance and Mtl skunked them.

The Myers deal was unnecessary as Atl (I think it was), who had the pick before us wasn't interested in taking him but Darcy made the trade anyway. A move I've never understood.

Quote from Buffalo News:

Think whatever you want. But if we could go back in time I'll bet you we wouldn't have Pissick (or however you spell his name) as our selection. The notion of Twin Towers - Myers and Tinordi - had to be very appealing to Darcy.

Think whatever you want. But if we could go back in time I'll bet you we wouldn't have Pissick (or however you spell his name) as our selection. The notion of Twin Towers - Myers and Tinordi - had to be very appealing to Darcy.

Likewise on thinking what you want, the twin towers notion was obviously appealing to you. I'll take the better player.

Having just Thomas Vanek doesn't equal "depth."

Vanek

Hecht (LW naturally, not so great at Center)

Ennis

Gerbe (Listed as a Center, played a majority of his time with the Sabres as a LWer)

McCormick (Another one listed as Center that spent a majority of the time on the LW)

Adding Frolov wouldn't be necessary IMHO. We have enough depth at LW. Now Center is critical and RW is in just as bad a shape.

Likewise on thinking what you want, the twin towers notion was obviously appealing to you. I'll take the better player.

I don't think Pissick is the better player. Reports on him include words like "soft" and "has limited upside".

Tinordi is reputed to be a leader - something the Sabres sorely need.

Aside from which, Montreal didn't jump ahead of us to take Pissick, did they?

Vanek

Ennis

Gerbe (Listed as a Center, played a majority of his time with the Sabres as a LWer)

McCormick (Another one listed as Center that spent a majority of the time on the LW)

Adding Frolov wouldn't be necessary IMHO. We have enough depth at LW. Now Center is critical and RW is in just as bad a shape.

Very true, which is what makes the possible acquisition of Zherdev intriguing.

Vanek

Ennis

That's not depth. You bring in Frolov and drop Hecht down to the third line and that's depth. I still want to to see Ennis in the middle. Gerbe and McCormick are non-factors.

I guess but this guy is just more of what the Sabres have too much of, indifferent players. Signing this chump would be a bad, bad move.

Agreed. Plus, as mentioned in another thread, there has to be at least two Eastern European players on the team. Supposedly, they seem to thrive when they're not alone. IIRC, when Kalinin was with us, he did very well when Zhitnik was with us. Once Zhitnik left, Kalinin's performance went south in a hurry.

With Kovy signing in NJ they are over the cap. I'd be looking at what it'd take to get Elias from them. He's been a plus player his whole career and can score. He instantly gives you a two way center and adds depth down the middle of the ice.

Agreed. Plus, as mentioned in another thread, there has to be at least two Eastern European players on the team. Supposedly, they seem to thrive when they're not alone. IIRC, when Kalinin was with us, he did very well when Zhitnik was with us. Once Zhitnik left, Kalinin's performance went south in a hurry.

Too bad Sekera is from Idaho and Hecht from Alabama. :doh: WTF people!

The Myers deal was unnecessary as Atl (I think it was), who had the pick before us wasn't interested in taking him but Darcy made the trade anyway. A move I've never understood.

LA had the pick before them (I think that they got it from Edmonton originally) and the story goes like this: LA had another team below the Sabres looking to move up to the #12 spot for the defenseman that they didn't want (turns out that it was Myers, but Teubert was the other similarly rated, though differently-styled, defenseman), Darcy offered a third-round pick from last year to move up instead and LA accepted with one condition. They both wrote the defenseman that they wanted on sheets of paper (apparently, they did the same with the other team, first.) If they wanted the same player, then the trade wouldn't go through and LA would trade with the other team; otherwise, the Sabres would move up and both teams would get the defenseman that they wanted. So, had they not traded up, another team would have gotten Myers. I'll see if I can find a source, but I remember hearing that story.

Archived