Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Paul Kariya? Sure I would take him on the Sabres..................IF.........................they also had a time machine to go back about 5-10 years ago and get him in his prime. I guess Darcy is skipping the Bargain Bins and found the clearance/"about to expire" aisle

I haven't seen anything other than a reference to Ek that the Sabres are interested in Kariya, so I'm presuming that Darcy is not shopping the clearance aisle until something more reliable comes in.

Can we change the title of this thread to "Free Agent Frenzy - or Welfare Christmas in Buffalo (as usual)"?

It's not like there were a ton of UFA moves out there that the Sabres passed over. Outside of perhaps Lombardi, there's not a big- or even medium-money player that the Sabres should have gone after, but didn't. It's the inactivity with respect to RFAs and trades that's frustrating.

Not signing a UFA of consequence was not the issue, it's the staleness left on the roster tha is the problem. Hearing Darcy admit that he made statements after the playoffs out of frustration rather than having an actual desire to shake things up was extraordinarily discouraging. While we may have known no big moves were going to happen, hearin him admit it and be happy with the band of sissies leaves one feeling impotent. We all saw the teams problems, now we get to live them all over again. Yay!!

Not signing a UFA of consequence was not the issue, it's the staleness left on the roster tha is the problem. Hearing Darcy admit that he made statements after the playoffs out of frustration rather than having an actual desire to shake things up was extraordinarily discouraging. While we may have known no big moves were going to happen, hearin him admit it and be happy with the band of sissies leaves one feeling impotent. We all saw the teams problems, now we get to live them all over again. Yay!!

Do you have a link to these comments? I missed them somehow. Yeah that is frustrating.

I haven't seen anything other than a reference to Ek that the Sabres are interested in Kariya, so I'm presuming that Darcy is not shopping the clearance aisle until something more reliable comes in.

It's not like there were a ton of UFA moves out there that the Sabres passed over. Outside of perhaps Lombardi, there's not a big- or even medium-money player that the Sabres should have gone after, but didn't. It's the inactivity with respect to RFAs and trades that's frustrating.

ummmmm, volchenkov? How good would he look in blue and gold? Who in the pipeline could ever hope to look like him? I wanted to see him play 30 minutes a game with myers and allow Myers to attack at will.

ummmmm, volchenkov? How good would he look in blue and gold? Who in the pipeline could ever hope to look like him? I wanted to see him play 30 minutes a game with myers and allow Myers to attack at will.

I know it's a bit of an exaggeration but no one in the NHL comes even close to 30 minutes a game. Keith lead the league at 26 and change. Volchenkov hasn't even topped 21 minutes in over three years. He was 112th among all NHL players (95th among defensemen and 3rd on his own team) in ice time per game last year. He's not going to all of a sudden become that work horse ice time eating defensemen.

As I'm posting from my iPhone, my capabilities are limited, I believe the last Darcy wgr audio vault interview should contain those comments.

That's correct. I heard him say he was speaking out of frustration in that presser. Gotta love Darcy. Change is necessary, but we've already changed internally, for the better, after having lots of meetings. "It's not always possible" to do it otherwise, through roster changes.

He also threw some cold water on the idea that he could sign Myers to a very long term contract after next season. More excuses -- players at that age have so much upside, they don't want to commit to a long-term deal, he said.

That's correct. I heard him say he was speaking out of frustration in that presser. Gotta love Darcy. Change is necessary, but we've already changed internally, for the better, after having lots of meetings. "It's not always possible" to do it otherwise, through roster changes.

He also threw some cold water on the idea that he could sign Myers to a very long term contract after next season. More excuses -- players at that age have so much upside, they don't want to commit to a long-term deal, he said.

It's tough to tell on that one. There's a good mix of long and short deals for the good young players. It seems like the elite are getting longer deals, but only time will tell whether Myers belongs in that elite category yet. It's way too early for this conversation about him.

If Darcy doesn't sign Tyler Myers to a 4+ year deal I will personally defecate on his car.

Although this is a good way to get Darcy's attention, he'd probably say this though:

"As you can see, we developed our fans passion for our club over 13 seasons and I feel they are coming along nicely" :unsure:

I'll give Volchenkov as a maybe. I think this team has bigger problems at forward than on defense, but I wouldn't have minded a Volchenkov signing (except for the fact that it would signal that they were doing nothing at center or wing).

But 30 mins (and I know, you were making a point), is silly. 20 is the most you're going to get out of him.

Darcy only shops in the Clearance Bins every off season, this year he seems to be spending some time in the "reduced for quick sale/expiring" aisle

I guess throughout Darcys tenure here there haven't been a ton of UFA moves that they passed over, cause its the typical reaction of the fans to the Sabres moves, theres never anyone out there in FA for Buffalo to go after that will improve the team.

Darcy only shops in the Clearance Bins every off season, this year he seems to be spending some time in the "reduced for quick sale/expiring" aisle

I guess throughout Darcys tenure here there haven't been a ton of UFA moves that they passed over, cause its the typical reaction of the fans to the Sabres moves, theres never anyone out there in FA for Buffalo to go after that will improve the team.

I'm talking about this year. But again, the apparent (we can't really tell) lack of effort to trade or go after RFAs is troubling.

Hey Deluca - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328588

Looks like theres a rumor Frolov is going to the Rangers on a very similar deal to what Atlanta gave Max last offseason ($800,000 for one year). Its sounding like if he doesn't have a breakout year and offered a huge contract next year, hes off to Russia and the KHL

(On a slightly unrelated note, Someone at the bottom is also saying that the Canadians could be close to signing Max)

Hey Deluca - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328588

Looks like theres a rumor Frolov is going to the Rangers on a very similar deal to what Atlanta gave Max last offseason ($800,000 for one year). Its sounding like if he doesn't have a breakout year and offered a huge contract next year, hes off to Russia and the KHL

(On a slightly unrelated note, Someone at the bottom is also saying that the Canadians could be close to signing Max)

For 800K or similar, I'd take either Frolov (but the Frolov is cursed!) or Max in a heartbeat. No-brainer at that salary. Kaleta makes more than that.

For 800K or similar, I'd take either Frolov (but the Frolov is cursed!) or Max in a heartbeat. No-brainer at that salary. Kaleta makes more than that.

Absolute no-brainer. I've been assuming the whole time that Frolov hadn't been signed because he was asking for the moon. If he signs for less than a million, that's an absolute steal. I've seen this guy quite a bit in his career and he can be very frustrating and at the money his numbers ARGUABLY dictate he's worth, I wouldn't do it. But at that price, that's an easy call. While an enigma at times, this guy is very talented and he has produced in the past. If all he needs is a change of scenery, then this guy could be good for 30+ goals. For that money, it's a chance well worth taking.

decent deal for the Rags.

I was never a Frolov fan. Not a big lose for the Sabres.

Come on Darcy, make that impact trade (fingers, toes, ears, eyes all crossed) :blink:

Far cry from the 800k rumor.

Far cry from the 800k rumor.

I don't believe that the 800k that Max made was actually supposed to be part of the rumor. I believe that the agent was simply saying that Frolov was going to sign a one-year, prove-myself contract after a down year like Max did. The reporter then stated that Max had a career year after signing with Atlanta for 800k. Maybe, I'm wrong, but I thought the two lines together were misleading when I first read them and didn't believe that Frolov would sign for anything close to 800k.

"What's that you are serving?" asked Frolov.

"Sauce Provencale for the herring, sir. . . ."

"What! is that the way to serve it?" shouted Frolov, not looking into the sauceboat. "Do you call that sauce? You don't know how to wait, you blockhead!"

Frolov's velvety eyes flashed. He twisted a corner of the table-cloth round his finger, made a slight movement, and the dishes, the candlesticks, and the bottles, all jingling and clattering, fell with a crash on the floor.

"What's that you are serving?" asked Frolov.

"Sauce Provencale for the herring, sir. . . ."

"What! is that the way to serve it?" shouted Frolov, not looking into the sauceboat. "Do you call that sauce? You don't know how to wait, you blockhead!"

Frolov's velvety eyes flashed. He twisted a corner of the table-cloth round his finger, made a slight movement, and the dishes, the candlesticks, and the bottles, all jingling and clattering, fell with a crash on the floor.

You have a voluptuous sensation in your throat when you swallow?

Archived