Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Just read about that myself. This trade does nothing for either team.

Todd White has had a couple of good years (e.g., 2008-09: 22G, 51A, 73P, 51% FO) sandwiched in between many poor to mediocre years (e.g., 2007-08: 14G, 23A, 37P, 47% FO). Last year, injuries led to a particularly poor season. However, the Rangers are pretty weak down the middle, so he will have the opportunity to take a big role. Whether he can or not? Who knows. I wouldn't bet on it.

Brashear recently cleared waivers and Rissmiller is pretty much a minor-leaguer, now.

Not a big trade for either side, but at least the Rangers have some potential upside to it.

Hawks officially walked away from Niemi and signed Turco... insane.

to me, not so insane. that said, some of the decisions that they've made that precipitated this decision were questionable -- as in, carrying huet at $5.6M without any apparent commitment to using him.

then again, they're the reigning stanley cup champions. so, they sorta got that going for them.

now look at their team. Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp.

fixed. (just sayin'.)

and a bunch of grossly overpaid defensemen.

campbell, arguably. keith and seabrook? nuh-uh.

campbell, arguably. keith and seabrook? nuh-uh.

Campbell - yes. There's no "arguably" about it. Keith is solid, but if he makes $8 mil then what is Myers going to demand in a few years? $9?

Seabrook isn't bad at 3.5, but they're gonna be in the same situation next year when he's an RFA.

and Hjalmarsson @ 3.5 is high -- I don't understand why Bowman would have matched that offer sheet knowing Niemi's ruling was looming.

Campbell - yes. There's no "arguably" about it. Keith is solid, but if he makes $8 mil then what is Myers going to demand in a few years? $9?

Seabrook isn't bad at 3.5, but they're gonna be in the same situation next year when he's an RFA.

and Hjalmarsson @ 3.5 is high -- I don't understand why Bowman would have matched that offer sheet knowing Niemi's ruling was looming.

Because he never intended to keep Niemi?

Archived