Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Not for nothing, but a lot of the same complaints were made about the 2006-07 team, which had three of those players.

The 2005-06 team was closer, because they had a better mix of skill, speed, grit, and heart. They traded some of that for a more focused speed/skill team in 2006-07, which helped them dominate the regular season, but look less capable in the playoffs (they still had enough to win two early series, but the Ottawa series was not that close.) In the subsequent Summer, they lost even more and haven't really done anything to replace it. Pieces here and there have helped, but they haven't looked really capable of contending since then, including last year. They aren't as far away as some here would lead you to believe, but as long as certain key areas are not addressed, the shoring up of lower lines and pairs won't get it done.

ok but people werent complaing in 06 07 like they are now. i agree that the 05 06 team was the best recently. i still disagree that this team is not a contender, they made the freakin playoffs last year. thats contending.

ok but people werent complaing in 06 07 like they are now. i agree that the 05 06 team was the best recently. i still disagree that this team is not a contender, they made the freakin playoffs last year. thats contending.

A lot of the complaints made during the 2010 Boston series were similar to the complaints made in the 2007 Ottawa series.

A lot of the complaints made during the 2010 Boston series were similar to the complaints made in the 2007 Ottawa series.

still not as bad as this year. and what were these complaints made in 07? cause all i hear is that we need a number 1 center, our guys arent mature, no heart, miller carries this team on his back. those complaints were made in 07? i dont think so.

still not as bad as this year. and what were these complaints made in 07? cause all i hear is that we need a number 1 center, our guys arent mature, no heart, miller carries this team on his back. those complaints were made in 07? i dont think so.

At the end of the day, or any day for that matter, whether it is this opinion or that one, the fact still remains that the Buffalo Sabres have yet to win a Stanley Cup.

I really don't care if Darcy and his staff brought this team to the playoffs, a few ECF series or a Stanley Cup series. The bottom line is the bottom line, there has been no success under Regier's tenure with this club, to say other wise is simply an attempt to make ones self feel better.

There are no awards, no trophies for 2nd place. This isn't hand grenades and horseshoes here, where close enough scores you points. Its a do or die, winner take all, sport. All the complaints you speak of may be variables involved in a larger connectivity problem with success, but, once again, like a broken record, it is the job of Darcy Regier to bring in the components for success.

He needs to go, period, nothing more need be said on this. 13 seasons is more than ample time to find success, and all of the little excuses do not change the fact that success has eluded this management teams grasp for that entire period.

At the end of the day, or any day for that matter, whether it is this opinion or that one, the fact still remains that the Buffalo Sabres have yet to win a Stanley Cup.

I really don't care if Darcy and his staff brought this team to the playoffs, a few ECF series or a Stanley Cup series. The bottom line is the bottom line, there has been no success under Regier's tenure with this club, to say other wise is simply an attempt to make ones self feel better.

There are no awards, no trophies for 2nd place. This isn't hand grenades and horseshoes here, where close enough scores you points. Its a do or die, winner take all, sport. All the complaints you speak of may be variables involved in a larger connectivity problem with success, but, once again, like a broken record, it is the job of Darcy Regier to bring in the components for success.

He needs to go, period, nothing more need be said on this. 13 seasons is more than ample time to find success, and all of the little excuses do not change the fact that success has eluded this management teams grasp for that entire period.

Very good post static I agree 100 percent, Honestly If the sabres could have managed to keep the team intact except for 1 or 2 playrs that we saw on the ice in 05'-06 and 06'-07' we would have a stanley cup by now, but bad management has hampered the sabres and now all we do is overpay 3rd and 4th line bums!

i want a cup, but i disagree with a few things. regier has had no success? bull. i dont think regier is the problem, i think ruff is. ruff has been here the same amount of time, how come you didnt say he needs to go? if regiers goes, so should ruff.

Very good post static I agree 100 percent, Honestly If the sabres could have managed to keep the team intact except for 1 or 2 playrs that we saw on the ice in 05'-06 and 06'-07' we would have a stanley cup by now, but bad management has hampered the sabres and now all we do is overpay 3rd and 4th line bums!

who are the 3rd and 4th line bums? besides gaustad.

The complaints during the Ottawa series in 2007, as I remember them, had to do with a lack of overall team toughness, lack of teamwork, not being built to succeed in the playoffs, too much reliance on pretty passing, etc. A lot of the same stuff we complained about during the Boston series a couple of months ago.

Unfortunately, this board is missing about a year's worth of posts in the archive due to a crash in 2008, and the end of the 2007 season (and the postseason) falls in that timeframe.

But we were complaining during that series just as we were this past Spring, I assure you. Actually, the complaints started during the series against the Rangers.

The complaints during the Ottawa series in 2007, as I remember them, had to do with a lack of overall team toughness, lack of teamwork, not being built to succeed in the playoffs, too much reliance on pretty passing, etc. A lot of the same stuff we complained about during the Boston series a couple of months ago.

Unfortunately, this board is missing about a year's worth of posts in the archive due to a crash in 2008, and the end of the 2007 season (and the postseason) falls in that timeframe.

But we were complaining during that series just as we were this past Spring, I assure you. Actually, the complaints started during the series against the Rangers.

yes i think people were complaining in 07, cause i was too, but not nearly in the same way that people are complaining now.

anyway in 07, i think the absence of dumont griere and mckee were huge. i didnt think that they werent tough enough or not built for the playoffs, i thought they lost some keys guys and couldnt make up for it.

i want a cup, but i disagree with a few things. regier has had no success? bull. i dont think regier is the problem, i think ruff is. ruff has been here the same amount of time, how come you didnt say he needs to go? if regiers goes, so should ruff.

You see the bolded section?

This is what I speak of, if your attempting to tell myself, and many, many fans that feel the same way as myself, go tell it to the mountain brother. Success is a Stanley Cup, and nothing short of it. If you are defining success differently, then your not following professional hockey in the NHL. Last time I checked, 30 teams play an 82 game schedule, then, the ones that are fortunate enough, play a best of 7, do or die, 4 round tournament, and for what? TO WIN LORD STANLEY'S CUP!

As I stated, whether or not you want to acknowledge it, this is a winner take all sport.

As for Ruff, it would be an automatic that if Regier goes, Ruff would either be gone as well, or not far behind.

Personally, I don't care if Ruff stays or goes. I want Regier gone, the product on the ice is a direct reflection of the performance of his job. I'm not impressed to say the least.

You see the bolded section?

This is what I speak of, if your attempting to tell myself, and many, many fans that feel the same way as myself, go tell it to the mountain brother. Success is a Stanley Cup, and nothing short of it. If you are defining success differently, then your not following professional hockey in the NHL. Last time I checked, 30 teams play an 82 game schedule, then, the ones that are fortunate enough, play a best of 7, do or die, 4 round tournament, and for what? TO WIN LORD STANLEY'S CUP!

As I stated, whether or not you want to acknowledge it, this is a winner take all sport.

As for Ruff, it would be an automatic that if Regier goes, Ruff would either be gone as well, or not far behind.

Personally, I don't care if Ruff stays or goes. I want Regier gone, the product on the ice is a direct reflection of the performance of his job. I'm not impressed to say the least.

yeah the main goal is a cup, but you can be succesfull without winning it too. come on dude you know that.

yeah the main goal is a cup, but you can be succesfull without winning it too. come on dude you know that.

Heard this same thing in the mid 80's, it didn't hold water then, it doesn't now.

Look, we both want the same thing, a successful season ending in a Stanley Cup in Buffalo.

I got over my "they make the playoffs and its a successful season" routine a couple decades ago.

This isn't the first time I've heard this kind of mentality on success. It comes and goes.

But for fans that have waited 40 years (13 of which are Regiers) and to have "never" tasted the ultimate prize, a good majority of us have a narrowed definition of successful.

I ain't gettin no younger, as the saying goes. You know what I mean?

Heard this same thing in the mid 80's, it didn't hold water then, it doesn't now.

Look, we both want the same thing, a successful season ending in a Stanley Cup in Buffalo.

I got over my "they make the playoffs and its a successful season" routine a couple decades ago.

This isn't the first time I've heard this kind of mentality on success. It comes and goes.

But for fans that have waited 40 years (13 of which are Regiers) and to have "never" tasted the ultimate prize, a good majority of us have a narrowed definition of successful.

I ain't gettin no younger, as the saying goes. You know what I mean?

i know it gets old hearing the same thing, but success is success, if regier and ruff go, thats fine. but they have had success whether you want to believe it or not.

Sabresneedacup, Your name says it all doesn't it. It really comes down to that. For me(and this is just my opinion,no need to go off half cocked here) Regier has failed miserably at doing ultimately what he was brought here to do. WIN A CUP. He has had 12 seasons to do so and has FAILED. Second place is for losers and really amounts to being the 1st place loser or the best loser whichever way you prefer to look at it. The Sabres have had some success in that time period but not the ultimate success for which Regier was hired. Just win us a friggin cup. In my opinion you can take all the playoff appearances and $hit can them along with the eastern conference titles right out the friggin window. I want to see this team hoist the cup and nothing else will do. That is what its all about and you can ask any player in this league and they'd all give their left nut to have their name on that cup I guarantee it. As for them being close with the line-up as it stands thats also a matter of opinion and my opinion is that they are more than the couple of fringe players away that Regier has brought on board. Just my opinion so don't go getting all personal.

i know it gets old hearing the same thing, but success is success, if regier and ruff go, thats fine. but they have had success whether you want to believe it or not.

I see no Stanley Cup Banners hanging in HSBC Arena, that equals no success.

Division Banners don't mean ######. Playoff appearances win you nothing as well.

The prize has been, and always will be, LORD STANLEY'S CUP.

It just that simple, and no matter how you try to convince yourself otherwise is beyond me.

The key problem in that series was the exact same as this series: special teams no showed.

Would they let Niemi walk after his raise from arbritration?

Sign and trade. Get a team that is afraid that his UFA price might be higher (or that he wouldn't want to sign there) to agree to a trade, then sign his arbitration award and trade him.

Sign and trade. Get a team that is afraid that his UFA price might be higher (or that he wouldn't want to sign there) to agree to a trade, then sign his arbitration award and trade him.

If they fully intend on sending Huet down, they accept the contract. I think that takes care of their cap issues as well.

The key problem in that series was the exact same as this series: special teams no showed.

Let's see what we have here. Lindy Ruff -- good to great penalty killing historically, but it costs them dearly in a number of playoff series. Outcoached, maybe?

05-06 power play very near the top of the league in the regular season, goes 1-17 in the last four games of the ECF. Outcoached, maybe?

Not only the players reveal themselves for what they are in crunch time.

Ruff is Bill Cowher before the rings.

Just read about that myself. This trade does nothing for either team.

It's all about the money/cap.

Atlanta gets rid of White (2.375 cap number) in exchange for Brashear 1.4 cap number (buyout of 433k over two years) and Rismilller buyout would be 333k over 2 yrs.

So Atlanta gains a million or so of cap space and the Rangers get a player that could be good if he stays healthy.

Archived