GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I actually thought the effort was there tonight. The pucks didn't go in, the refs let a lot of stuff go when Sabres were the victims, but the team played well. The energy on both sides was great; it seemed like a playoff game at times. There were freaky goals (including the Sabs' goals). Rivet expertly and perfectly defended a two-on-one, only to see a weird shot come in from the boards. On the other hand, Monty scored a weird one himself. Look, it's hockey, and a team can play well and lose one, and I think that's what happened tonight. I'll take a night like tonight over the "Sabres didn't show up" nights anytime.

The only concern for this team should be developing the attitude and consistency needed for the playoffs. It is frustrating that team has trouble scoring unless the goalie is falling over himself and letting in cheap goals. They faced a goalie tonight that wasn't going to hand the game over to them and they had difficulties. I am concerned what will happen in the playoffs if the opposition gets good goaltending? Not great, just good.

Ottawa remaining schedule: @NYI, @Florida, @Tampa, us. I could easily see Ottawa run the table. Anyone just a little uncomfortable? We are playing @Montreal, Rangers, @Boston, @Ottawa, @NJ. 3 games against desperate teams, then a guaranteed loss, and maybe a team that's playing for something at the end. This could have been a real good night, but turned into a frustrating one. Maybe we can beat Ottawa next week since Toronto just beat us...anyone?

I don't think the Sabres are tough enough or have enough offense to get very far in the playoffs. Miller is the main reason the Sabres are where they are right now, and he has seemed to be a little "off" lately. Like stated above, the Sabres have been scoring a lot of lucky garbage goals lately and that will not fly in the playoffs. One and done? I hope not, but it's all riding on Miller and the defense if you ask me. I think they will need at least 3 goals per game to win in the playoffs. Can they do it? Right now I'm not so sure.

I actually thought the effort was there tonight. The pucks didn't go in, the refs let a lot of stuff go when Sabres were the victims, but the team played well. The energy on both sides was great; it seemed like a playoff game at times. There were freaky goals (including the Sabs' goals). Rivet expertly and perfectly defended a two-on-one, only to see a weird shot come in from the boards. On the other hand, Monty scored a weird one himself. Look, it's hockey, and a team can play well and lose one, and I think that's what happened tonight. I'll take a night like tonight over the "Sabres didn't show up" nights anytime.

I thought they came out flat in the 2nd, got dominated in that period, and Miller bailed them out. Then the softie in the 3rd that they couldn't answer despite better effort. However I felt the 2nd period was unacceptable.

I thought they came out flat in the 2nd, got dominated in that period, and Miller bailed them out. Then the softie in the 3rd that they couldn't answer despite better effort. However I felt the 2nd period was unacceptable.

There were parts of the 2d that were weak. I remember in particular a one-minute sequence where the Sabres controlled the puck, but couldn't seem to advance it across the red line because everyone was disorganized. There were parts of the 2d that were pretty solid, though. And yes, Miller made some nice saves in the 2d, but were they any better than the saves Giguere made all game?

I really think they lost an honestly played game tonight, which is going to happen during an 82 game season. And it's going to happen during a 7 game playoff series, too. Not every loss will be because the Sabres screwed up.

Ottawa remaining schedule: @NYI, @Florida, @Tampa, us. I could easily see Ottawa run the table. Anyone just a little uncomfortable? We are playing @Montreal, Rangers, @Boston, @Ottawa, @NJ. 3 games against desperate teams, then a guaranteed loss, and maybe a team that's playing for something at the end. This could have been a real good night, but turned into a frustrating one. Maybe we can beat Ottawa next week since Toronto just beat us...anyone?

It ain't over until it's over, and since it's not over, anything can still happen. Having said that, if they can't find 4 points in 5 games, they don't deserve to win the Division. ######, they clinch if they just beat Ottawa straight up in regulation--oh my God, what a concept.

It would be nice to back in by beating bad teams and having Ottawa lose to teams like, say, Carolina--did I mention I hate Ottawa--but it would be a big choke for the Sabres not to win the NE now. If they finish 5th seed, they will have earned it. But I really don't think that will happen.

Game thoughts...

- Great PK, but way too many penalties against a team that has nothing left to worry about except spring tee times.

- I thought Myers had a few nice attempts at being physical. Nothing mind blowing, but since I have ripped him for lack of this since the beginning of the season, I thought credit is due.

- At some point late in the third, the Sabres had only 1 shot on goal for the period. Just not good enough.

- Another one of those games where Gaustad, Mair & Grier(Arguably the teams 3 most physical forwards with Kaleta out of the lineup) have a combined 1 HIT.

- Miller with a rare so-so game this year. He looked like he good have used double runner skate blades on the 2nd Toronto goal.

- These last 5 games are going to be tough. 4 of 5 on the road and all against teams fighting for a playoff spot or their division.

Man that Gerbe was a chip it in and go for a change machine .I was not impressed with his game.Pomminstein is'nt that big and next to Gerbe it looked like a bring your kid to work day.Overall I don't agree with the posters that think it was a good effort.5 shots in the 3rd when you're trying to create goals.We did'nt have any of that truculance that Burkes always dredging up in his speeches.And if you saw Millers post game he was'nt impressed with the effort as well.Lets hope they bring some game to the montreal matchup.

- Another one of those games where Gaustad, Mair & Grier(Arguably the teams 3 most physical forwards with Kaleta out of the lineup) have a combined 1 HIT.

But Gaustad won almost all of his faceoffs!

good grief, finally a decent Leaf win against these guys. You folks have been just about impossible to deal with.... :nana:

figures that's why you're here again.

welcome back by the way, we were wondering if sanity had been restored in the centre of the hockey world since the trade deadline.

i suspect, i proof insanity does still prevail. :bag:

(actually just wishing to in a alternate fashion say hello :) )

figures that's why you're here again.

welcome back by the way, we were wondering if sanity had been restored in the centre of the hockey world since the trade deadline.

I think I made reference to this in another thread somewhere, but I've never seen a second place team give the puck away in their own zone so many times. Dear Lord! I know the Leafs were doing a decent job of forechecking (some of the time, anyway), but REALLY!. When you get possession of the puck in your own end, get it out! If there is no one to pass to, dink it off the glass (I hate to parrot Don Cherry, but he is correct on this one). The Sabres looked lazy (not tired) and got outworked by a team that is far less talented but showed up with some fire in their belly. Shameful.

So, with the playoffs just a couple weeks off, when do the Sabres "turn it on"? If you are going to peak during the playoffs, now is the time to get the ball rolling. If you can't even put out a decent effort against a perennial rival who is not doing well, how do they expect to get any further than game four of the first round?

That being said, I am excited about the Sabres being in the playoffs and very hopeful that they can "turn it on". :thumbsup:

I think I made reference to this in another thread somewhere, but I've never seen a second place team give the puck away in their own zone so many times. Dear Lord! I know the Leafs were doing a decent job of forechecking (some of the time, anyway), but REALLY!. When you get possession of the puck in your own end, get it out! If there is no one to pass to, dink it off the glass (I hate to parrot Don Cherry, but he is correct on this one). The Sabres looked lazy (not tired) and got outworked by a team that is far less talented but showed up with some fire in their belly. Shameful.

So, with the playoffs just a couple weeks off, when do the Sabres "turn it on"? If you are going to peak during the playoffs, now is the time to get the ball rolling. If you can't even put out a decent effort against a perennial rival who is not doing well, how do they expect to get any further than game four of the first round?

That being said, I am excited about the Sabres being in the playoffs and very hopeful that they can "turn it on". :thumbsup:

If the defensive zone coverage was any worse than previous years under Ruff, I might be shocked and dismayed. As it is, it's just status quo.

The retreats -- who is teaching the players to make these senseless retreats? Myers did it before the empty net goal.

The only concern for this team should be developing the attitude and consistency needed for the playoffs. It is frustrating that team has trouble scoring unless the goalie is falling over himself and letting in cheap goals. They faced a goalie tonight that wasn't going to hand the game over to them and they had difficulties. I am concerned what will happen in the playoffs if the opposition gets good goaltending? Not great, just good.

+ 1, and I also point out an opinion shared by our goalie

"We'd better raise our level of play just in general," said Miller, whose team was outshot, 34-24, and took six of the eight penalties. "It's imperative that we have good habits. We were on the wrong end of penalties, got outshot, gave up rush plays, gave up zone time. We refused to get the puck deep. Not all of it was because Toronto was playing a great system.

No excuse for that as Miller himself stated and I posted under Deluca's above.

It ain't over until it's over, and since it's not over, anything can still happen. Having said that, if they can't find 4 points in 5 games, they don't deserve to win the Division. ######, they clinch if they just beat Ottawa straight up in regulation--oh my God, what a concept. It would be nice to back in by beating bad teams and having Ottawa lose to teams like, say, Carolina--did I mention I hate Ottawa--but it would be a big choke for the Sabres not to win the NE now. If they finish 5th seed, they will have earned it. But I really don't think that will happen.

THIS.

As far as I am concerned that would be the proper way to go into the playoff's by making a statement win against your season long nemesis. Getting your game in order now also goes to the coaches here making the right player decisions, getting the PP going PK is perfect right now and the most important right now regardless of what he himself thinks is when to play Miller and when to rest him so he is at his very best come playoff's.

IMO right now for the remaining games regardless of outcome, that is the balanced rotation of

Lalime(Montreal)

Miller(Rags)

Lalime(Boston)

Miller(Ott)

Lalime(Devils).

If you cannot get your 4pts with that plan going in I agree with DD you don't deserve the division. Also what's wrong with letting these goalies and players know now what the rotation is going to be.

Archived