GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

ThePebble19

the sabres lack the intensity they had earlier in the year. The only guys i see playing with urgency right now are Kaleta Mair and myers. I used to put rivet in there regardless of his actual play bc he was playing hard.

Vanek has been picking it up but we need more from him ---- as we do from a lot of guys.

I had high hopes for Torres but he hasnt brought it, offensively of physically.

Hardly noticed Gaustads been back. I preferred mancari in the lineup, plays more physical and has some offensive touch.

the sabres lack the intensity they had earlier in the year. The only guys i see playing with urgency right now are Kaleta Mair and myers. I used to put rivet in there regardless of his actual play bc he was playing hard.

Vanek has been picking it up but we need more from him ---- as we do from a lot of guys.

I had high hopes for Torres but he hasnt brought it, offensively of physically.

Hardly noticed Gaustads been back. I preferred mancari in the lineup, plays more physical and has some offensive touch.

Gaustad has brought nothing to the team, besides winning faceoffs, all year.

Why management thinks so highly of him is a mystery to me.

I totally agree. His contract is an albatross for what we are getting. I always see him try to check guys and bounce off of them and fall down which isnt surprising since he's a beanpole at 6'5 and 220 lbs. If you ever have seen him in street clothes he looks like domink hasek/ryan millers body double.

Hes great at faceoffs and chips in the occasional goal but theres a lot of guys in the league who can do that who arent paid his friggin salary.

I think tonight they need to jump out with lead...get some confidence and hope its contagious.

Don't be surprised when Rivet leaves the team that Gaustad will be the next captain.

Its funny how many people hammer on Regier for some of the contracts he has handed out, but no one complains about Gaustad's. He is a 4th line player(and a good one at that) worth about 1.3 mil, but he is making double that amount for two more seasons after this one.

yeah, let's beat the doom-and-gloom drum tonight, Thrashers 8-1.. how about that then eh?

There are things to be gloomy about.

Not to belabor the three regulation wins in 20 games stat, because I don't belabor points, but look at Edmonton, the worst team in the league this season. They've won 22% of their games in regulation time. The last 20 games, the Sabres have won 15%. I don't know how many more games I'd have to go back to get to 22% for the Sabres.

So looking at a pretty healthy sample of games, the Sabres truly have been playing at the level of the NHL's worst team.

Unfortunately, Mancari had to be sent down as he was an emergency call up.

Wins face offs, plays the PK and the PP (second unit), hits and fights. I'll take more of that please.

I totally agree. His contract is an albatross for what we are getting. I always see him try to check guys and bounce off of them and fall down which isnt surprising since he's a beanpole at 6'5 and 220 lbs. If you ever have seen him in street clothes he looks like domink hasek/ryan millers body double.

Maybe I need to update my eyeglass prescription but I can't recall him bouncing off all the players he checks. If he was much thicker, his skating would be worse which as we know, isn't a real strength of his anyway.

Its funny how many people hammer on Regier for some of the contracts he has handed out, but no one complains about Gaustad's. He is a 4th line player(and a good one at that) worth about 1.3 mil, but he is making double that amount for two more seasons after this one.

His contract certainly isn't in the "value" category, but who on this team outside of Myers and Kaleta is. Miller is earning his keep, Tallinder maybe but EVERYONE else is eating mad ######. I'd love to be able to point to Goose as the team's problem but there are so many others in front of him.

I know he had to be sent down bc of the CBA rules etc. Just a point that i like his play.

Watch Goose along the boards, specifically when he tries to slam someone against the boards, he has a tendency to bounce off. I can understand people thinking he's a decent 3rd or 4th line center, but i dont buy that hes a tough physical guy on the ice. He can stand in front of the net but he's not a force there. Hes not a 3mil player, never was never will be.

Wins face offs, plays the PK and the PP (second unit), hits and fights. I'll take more of that please.

Indeed Goose is an asset in the faceoff circle, however him being on the PP is only due to the fact that he's the only one big enough, besides Vanek, to stand in front of the net with any reasonable success. And I guess that would be "success", seeing the PP is everything but succeeding.

He plays the PK yes, and again his faceoff skills are an asset, but paired with those skills he certainly doesn't fight or hit often or well enough to warrant his pricetag.

I'll take more of "it" too, but I doubt Goose would be noticed for his physical play on a team not as soft as the Sabres.

Indeed Goose is an asset in the faceoff circle, however him being on the PP is only due to the fact that he's the only one big enough, besides Vanek, to stand in front of the net with any reasonable success. And I guess that would be "success", seeing the PP is everything but succeeding.

He plays the PK yes, and again his faceoff skills are an asset, but paired with those skills he certainly doesn't fight or hit often or well enough to warrant his pricetag.

I'll take more of "it" too, but I doubt Goose would be noticed for his physical play on a team not as soft as the Sabres.

That might perfectly summarize Gaustad.

If this were ice hockey for 8-bit nintendo Goose would be the tall skinny guy who always falls down.

There are things to be gloomy about.

Not to belabor the three regulation wins in 20 games stat, because I don't belabor points, but look at Edmonton, the worst team in the league this season. They've won 22% of their games in regulation time. The last 20 games, the Sabres have won 15%. I don't know how many more games I'd have to go back to get to 22% for the Sabres.

So looking at a pretty healthy sample of games, the Sabres truly have been playing at the level of the NHL's worst team.

Really wow only three in the last twenty. Statistically speaking this underscores the problem with this team. They are not playing good hockey.

Its simple for me from here out. They have some games and limited time to learn to play better hockey against teams they are better than. Those teams currently are the ones below them in the standings or they are not better than them. I am hoping they play hard and that translates into playing well and I can enjoy the ride. Unfortunately last few years with this Buffalo sometimes you get the bull the other times it's the horns.

What I will be watching is which players play like they get it and really care and push this team down the stretch to the playoffs and hopefully through a round or two. Then what remains to be seen off season is will management act on what these next 6 weeks or so show us about this team.

For now though come on Buffalo let us enjoy the ride...

Really wow only three in the last twenty. Statistically speaking this underscores the problem with this team. They are not playing good hockey.

Its simple for me from here out. They have some games and limited time to learn to play better hockey against teams they are better than. Those teams currently are the ones below them in the standings or they are not better than them. I am hoping they play hard and that translates into playing well and I can enjoy the ride. Unfortunately last few years with this Buffalo sometimes you get the bull the other times it's the horns.

What I will be watching is which players play like they get it and really care and push this team down the stretch to the playoffs and hopefully through a round or two. Then what remains to be seen off season is will management act on what these next 6 weeks or so show us about this team.

For now though come on Buffalo let us enjoy the ride...

I wouldn't watch the top 2 lines then.

Archived