GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

LabattBlue

Complete let down again in the third period. Happened when Butler left the front of the net while Sekera was already behind the net. Poor defensive play late in the game has cost us games.

I agree with you they are giving away to many easy chances, like in the start of the year when they were fighting to win games consistently. You now hardly see the defense dive for pucks or block shots, It's almost like they are skating with slush under their feet while you watch them. We really have to step it up and even give Miller a rest because he looks like he hasn't slept in days.. Lindy needs to put Lalime out for a few games and give Miller a rest. I knew this was going to happen when the Olympics started up, But really lets get it together here and start winning games, we can't get swept away from winning the division.

So THIS is what the first forty or so games would have looked like with an average goalie.

The forth goal, maybe, but the rest were defensive mistakes that they weren't making in the first half of the season. Don't get me wrong, they made mistakes, but over the last few games they've been completely blowing their coverage.

I'm sorry I have to bring this up: My mother-in-law saw me on Facebook earlier and decided to throw it in my face that the Caps won their 13th straight game. I wanted to throw my computer out of my truck.

I can't wait for the Pens to beat them so that way she'll STFU.

I missed the entire third period. I watched all of the first and all of the second, and I was completely unimpressed. (Actually, I needed a shot of Red Bull in order to make it to dinner at 9, because the game put me to sleep--this, from a caffeine-sensitive insomniac.)

Drew Stafford is the master of getting beat on the rush into his own zone, and I saw him called for one penalty as a result--he escaped two others (possibly because the refs were making up for a ridiculous interference call on Myers). Countless times, centers and wingers circled around the Carolina net, hoping to jam the puck in the far side, when a shot might have yielded a rebound or a drop pass might have yielded a goal. Hint: If the goalie is smart enough to jam his pad against the post the first time, he's going to be smart enough to do it the 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th time, too.

The powerplay, wow, it is just freaking horrible. The penalty kill is amazing, I know, and that's a bright spot. That doesn't make up for the complete lack of offense with a man advantage. I miss Briere sneaking over to the far post on the PP, and I don't see any reason why any other Sabre couldn't do the same.

All I can hope is that Ruff will re-tool the strategy during the lengthy break, because it's pretty obvious that most teams have solved the Sabres right now. And along with that, as I posted earlier, I'm really sick of seeing Miller do stupid things (I did miss the third, but I read the posts above and saw some replays). He is not the same as he was six weeks ago. Ruff is mismanaging the G position again; as a bunch of us noted before the season even started, Miller should be starting no more than 3 of 4 games (some said 4 of 5; fine). And "millsie," for those who want to be cutsie, himself, does not have his head in the game.

This roster is not great, but it's good enough to make the sixteen-team tournament, and it's good enough to go deep in that tournament if Miller can get his head out of his number-sign. It also could use some improvement.

Why the hell Stafford is allowed to start games at the expense of others, is beyond me. Some people want to ###### about Mair, ok, fine; he's not that skilled. Won't ever be. Stafford is a complete floater, and frankly, Connolly isn't that far behind (his special little point streak notwithstanding).

So maybe sit Mair & Kennedy and put in Ellis and Paetsch on the 4th line with Roy and Connolly centering with some double shifts. Switch off Butler and Montador throughout the game.

Kennedy ran out of gas weeks ago. Prior to the 7-game road trip he was playing bad. It was time to sit him for a scratch for play somebody else, and if i recall he did sit until someone got injured or sick i forget, then he played a half decent game and been playing since. Same with Monty and Butler.

I'm hoping this means Thomas gets the starting job at the olympics.

Hopefully Miller will come back rested, and mightily pissed at himself.

To quote one of our finest posters, it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to him.

What I've been seeing from Ryan is lots and lots of drama. The night he was pulled, the tirade at the bench. Starting to skate after Phillips, during play. Taking a penalty on Crosby. The Oscar-winning scene on the bench last night. He's been prone to that in his career here, but in his salad days this season, he was stoic. No unnecessary emotions, just like no unnecessary motions in the crease. He was machine-like.

A hockey team is a living organism. What I'm not sure about is whether the defense is sick and has infected Miller, or if it's the other way around.

But, yeah, after that second Stafford goal, you knew there'd be hell to pay somewhere along the line.

I'm hoping this means Thomas gets the starting job at the olympics.

Hopefully Miller will come back rested, and mightily pissed at himself.

I left when it was 3-2 Sabres...and somehow, I'm glad they lost. Carolina was playing their second string goalie against the Sabres and Ruff probably felt some desperation to play Miller so he can get a "sure win." There are no sure wins. Hockey is a team game and this team has some real holes. Ruff needs someone else to call the shots with the goalies...he clearly has no clue.

One thing I've noticed that ever since the Devils game, Miller is playing the puck more. Maybe he's taken a cue from Brodeur, the all-time best goalie at playing the puck: it's like "this isn't so hard..." Well it is. Miller has always been awful at playing the puck and he should concentrate on the saves.

I'm sure they'll start Miller at the Olympics, and he'll come back alot more tired than the rest of his teammates who don't make the trip. Lucky us.

To quote one of our finest posters, it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to him.

What I've been seeing from Ryan is lots and lots of drama. The night he was pulled, the tirade at the bench. Starting to skate after Phillips, during play. Taking a penalty on Crosby. The Oscar-winning scene on the bench last night. He's been prone to that in his career here, but in his salad days this season, he was stoic. No unnecessary emotions, just like no unnecessary motions in the crease. He was machine-like.

A hockey team is a living organism. What I'm not sure about is whether the defense is sick and has infected Miller, or if it's the other way around.

But, yeah, after that second Stafford goal, you knew there'd be hell to pay somewhere along the line.

I wish that you( not just you but you in the representative state of you) could take one season off and follow one of the top teams as much as (you) follow the Sabres. (You) would see that all teams go through this stuff. You are right, Miller is going through some tough times but it happens. Like others have said, if he is the goalie I think he is, he will be fine. The season will rest on whether Reiger is right and his top continue to improve. If (you) are right, the blowing up should commence when the season ends.

Keep in mind, I understand (your) passsion and frustration. I am just presenting my retort.

I wish that you( not just you but you in the representative state of you) could take one season off and follow one of the top teams as much as (you) follow the Sabres. (You) would see that all teams go through this stuff. You are right, Miller is going through some tough times but it happens. Like others have said, if he is the goalie I think he is, he will be fine. The season will rest on whether Reiger is right and his top continue to improve. If (you) are right, the blowing up should commence when the season ends.

Keep in mind, I understand (your) passsion and frustration. I am just presenting my retort.

While I tend to agree with this post, 7 of 9 is at the upper limits of a bad stretch that any "top team" would go through. And hasn't our "top line" regressed quite a bit this year? Do we even have a top line?

Yes, I am aware other top teams go through tough times. Jeez, give me a little credit. I do see other teams -- the Sabres don't play themselves ya know. I'm not sure what revelation I would arrive at if I watched the Capitals, Penguins, Sharks or Hawks every night.

Anyway, the problem with assuming Miller is going to be fine because you know what kind of goalie he is, is that this is uncharted territory for him. There's no precedent. He may very well return to elite form, but there's no other season you can point to with comfort. Started off on fire, had a little slump and finished strong to win the Vezina, or be seriously considered for it.

As for the Top Six "continuing to improve" -- Darcy isn't only saying he expects those players to continue to improve from some doldrums earlier this season. He forecasts "continuous growth." Which, to me, means these guys are better this season than they were last season, and will be better still next season.

As Sabretip pointed out yesterday, it's total horsecock. Can I say that?

As for the Top Six "continuing to improve" -- Darcy isn't only saying he expects those players to continue to improve from some doldrums earlier this season. He forecasts "continuous growth." Which, to me, means these guys are better this season than they were last season, and will be better still next season.

As Sabretip pointed out yesterday, it's total horsecock. Can I say that?

He must be watching a different team, cause the only improvement I've seen is in Pominville's work ethic.

Connolly is healthy, that's the extent of his improvement, and both Vanek and Roy have taken a step back, IMHO. I know there's still hockey to be played, but the so-called improvement is quite easily overlooked at this point.

Stafford stil only shows up every 10th game, and MacArthur is a 3rd liner at best.

Now, if Darcy would have said there's room for improvement or that he expected improvement instead, I would wholeheartedly agree with him.

It's just spin to me.

I did not want to post last night as I was incredibly pissed off. Now that I've had a chance to cool down, here's what I've seen the last 3 games.

1. Miller looks off. Miller's game just is not where it was earlier this season right now. My sense is that he's gotten tired and has lost some focus and has been giving up some really bad goals during the last three games that he was not giving up earlier this year. Luckily, Miller will likely get a rest tonight, but I'm not sure how successful Lalime will be with a tired and uninspired team in front of him. I am concerned that we have hit a point where Miller has played too many games and is getting tired and Lalime has not played enough games and is rusty, and that's a recipe for disaster tonight against Columbus. Either way, I think Miller needs more than just tonight's game off. I think Lalime has to play another game this week so that we get a better Miller down the stretch, when we need him the most.

2. The play of the entire team in their own zone has been lousy. The play of the defenseman has been downright awful during the roadtrip and since they've come back from the road trip. Sekera has played well offensively, but he's been getting beat in the defensive zone. Butler has been lousy in the defensive zone. Rivet and Montador have made bad pinches causing goals the other way. The defenseman have been downright awful and have made uncharacteristic mistakes that they were not making earlier this year or they made but Miller bailed them out, which he's not doing now. Miller's not playing well and the defenseman are not helping him out either.

3. Kennedy is quickly becoming a liability in the defensive zone. He was on the ice and Alfredsson was his man on the game-winning goal against Ottawa. He was again on the ice for the game tying goal last night and it was his man, Kostopoulos that scored it. His line was also on the ice for the first goal from Ward. Kennedy was supposed to be a very good two way player, but not only is he not contributing on offense, he has quickly become a defensive liability and you can't seem to put him out there anymore. If not for Kaleta's injury, he would be a healthy scratch right now. Kennedy really has got to be better in the defensive zone because his play in the last few games has been awful and deserves a benching.

4. For much of this year, many of us have complained about the lack of goal scoring on this team. Well, if you look at the last 10 games or so, they scored 7 against Phoenix, 4 against Anaheim, 3 against the Kings, 4 against Pittsburgh, and 3 against Carolina. The Sabres are getting goals right now, but aside from the Phoenix game, they have lost every single one of these games. The two games the Sabres have won recently were both 2-1 games, one of which was in the shootout. Face it folks, this team was not built to win high scoring games. Right now, goal scoring is not the problem for this team because they are getting the goals. They are not playing sound defensive hockey, which has been their bread and butter all season long. This is a team built to win close, tight games 1-0, 2-1. And, if they are not playing a sound defensive game, they have no shot at winning.

I've come to the realization that we all want Regier to make a trade to spice up this team come playoff time. But, the only trade that will make sense is one that will improve this team's game in the defensive zone by acquiring a two-way forward who is strong in the defensive zone and/or a defensive defenseman who is strong in the defensive zone and will not get knocked off the puck. After Myers-Tallinder, the play from the defenseman has been real spotty. The Lydman-Rivet pairing seems to be better than the Rivet-Butler pairing, so I'm beginning to think the problem is really that bottom pairing with Butler, Sekera, and Montador. I think any change via trade needs to make that bottom pairing better and it's not going to be through acquisition of an offensive defenseman and PP stud. This team needs to improve their defensive game and need to do it fast or we may be on the verge of barely making the playoffs, if at all.

Yes, I am aware other top teams go through tough times. Jeez, give me a little credit. I do see other teams -- the Sabres don't play themselves ya know. I'm not sure what revelation I would arrive at if I watched the Capitals, Penguins, Sharks or Hawks every night.

Anyway, the problem with assuming Miller is going to be fine because you know what kind of goalie he is, is that this is uncharted territory for him. There's no precedent. He may very well return to elite form, but there's no other season you can point to with comfort. Started off on fire, had a little slump and finished strong to win the Vezina, or be seriously considered for it.

As for the Top Six "continuing to improve" -- Darcy isn't only saying he expects those players to continue to improve from some doldrums earlier this season. He forecasts "continuous growth." Which, to me, means these guys are better this season than they were last season, and will be better still next season.As Sabretip pointed out yesterday, it's total horsecock. Can I say that?

This is one point I completely agree on and wish someone would ask him the question; Are you saying that all players improve over time or is there some reason you think these guys will. For years they were going with we are this young, developing team that will get better. Well guess what, under that logic a lot of other teams will continue to get better to and now Buffalo isn't anywhere near the youngest team.

As far as observing other teams, watching them occasionally is not the same.

As for Miller, I didn't say anything about being certain that he will return to early season form. What I think I implied was that if they are wrong about him like I think they are wrong about Roy, then they(Reiger and Ruff) will be gone soom anyway.

Archived