GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

LabattBlue

The Sabres are starting to fall back into last years habits, Miller included. Turned 2-2 ties vs. San Jose and Ottawa into deflating losses. Gave up the late goal to Ottawa which they avoided this yr for the most part. Blew a 3-1 lead in Pittsburgh...something Elliott and the Sens managed to clamp down in a similar situation a few days earlier. I personally think the Sabres "blew their wad" this year and now we're seeing exactly what they are. A decent but not-so-special club with a very good goalie. Hopefully Ottawa comes back to earth and this will be a nip and tuck battle the rest of the season.

Win the fracking game so Miller can get his break against Columbus.

Really, if they don't win, it would be a disgrace. An utter disgrace. This game should be over after the 1st period if the Sabres are even trying just a little bit.

1-0 Carolina after 2 in the first meeting between the teams, at the Marena in November, in the midst of the Canes' woes. Sabres won 5-1. They've turned it around a bit since then, so I don't a blowout is a reasonable expectation.

Win the fracking game so Miller can get his break against Columbus.

Really, if they don't win, it would be a disgrace. An utter disgrace. This game should be over after the 1st period if the Sabres are even trying just a little bit.

They don't win tonight, they have some major issues, much bigger then anyone could have thought they may have had. They have to win.

Just read this:

The Buffalo Sabres today announced Mike Robitaille will be absent from the Sabres broadcast team until after the Olympic break because he was in a minor car accident on Wednesday evening. In his absence, Rob Ray will replace Mike and work with Kevin Sylvester during the intermissions and after games. Mike is doing well and everybody in the Sabres organization wishes him a quick recovery.

I wondered what happened Wed. I figured he just had the night off. They probably wanted to make sure he was okay before they said anything.

Get Well Soon Roby!

Not to call you out in particular, but it boggles me that everyone sees the current situation as 'Ottawa on a hot streak and once that's over things will be back to normal'. Given how the Sabres have been playing this season, I think is awfully naive to consider the Sabres having a solid division lead to be the 'normal'.

Maybe I'm a cynic, or maybe I just don't like to be disappointed, but even when these Sabres had their 7-game win streak, we had to expect them to fall back down eventually. They have not proven to be in the same tier as WAS, PIT, even OTT (NJ is an exception - we've matched them well lately). The Sens are a solid team, they're not going to fall down on their faces like last season.

It has been great this season to see these Sabres string together some great victories, but in the back of my mind, I know that I have been grateful when they were racking up points earlier in the season, because they're going to need them now that they are beginning to finally "regress to the mean". Raking up lots of points early meant to me: Cool, a solid enough start to likely stay in a playoff spot, and maybe even grab the division.

OK... that was nice. Now, nothing better to get their heads back on the right way than to grab a few points against the lowly Canes and the CBJ's. It will be interesting to see how they deal with Wednesday's outcome going into the next games.

Lastly, and I don't mean to jinx them :ph34r: but we've been doing great injury-wise for awhile now. Let's hope to scoop up the points we really should get, and avoid any bad injuries heading into the Olympic break, and see if these guys can come back in March kickin' it into high gear. :beer:

Unfortunately, I need to trim a whole lot of hockey out of my diet between now and the end of March due to school, so please, Sabres, let me see that I am missing out some good hockey! :thumbsup:

I don't know what normal is. Head to head clearly Ottawa is the better team as evidenced by their 4-0 record against the Sabres. All I'm saying is that despite their current franchise record winning streak, I don't believe Ottawa is an elite team in the East. For the record I don't think that the Sabres are either. The season is a marathon and things tend to even out.

Having said that, everyone knows all that matters is gathering enough points to be in the top eight and be cranking on all cylinders come April. Look at the Canes getting hot for the last month and a half last year and carrying that momentum all the way to the ECF. The lineup the Canes put on the ice tonight against the Sabres is essentially the same as last year.

Just read this:

The Buffalo Sabres today announced Mike Robitaille will be absent from the Sabres broadcast team until after the Olympic break because he was in a minor car accident on Wednesday evening. In his absence, Rob Ray will replace Mike and work with Kevin Sylvester during the intermissions and after games. Mike is doing well and everybody in the Sabres organization wishes him a quick recovery.

I wondered what happened Wed. I figured he just had the night off. They probably wanted to make sure he was okay before they said anything.

Get Well Soon Roby!

Yeesh, it couldn't have been TOO minor an accident if he's out til after the Olympics.

Also it looks like Regier has no plans to make any moves like for a center who score and has some beef. Too bad, but my guess is that he doesn't have any takers for the guys that he wants to give up...

It would be nice to bring up some guys with some energy for a couple of games.... Lately it seems that they are at times they are dragging a little, getting out skated, but they are still trying to play the aggressive game. Wish they knew when it was time to let off the gas for awhile regain their energy... catch a second wind and then go for instead of trying to fight through it and making too many mistake which end up in the back of their net. I still think they need goal scoring power, with the emphasis on power forward. Goose is power, Vanek can score, would like a combo of the two in one body...

Expect Vanek to score a natural hattrick and get two assists if that happens :wallbash:

Well, Vanek's been a point-per-game player in his career against the Hurricanes so it's certainly very likely he gets on the scoresheet tonight.

Archived