Sabres just lost their biggest fan

NowDoYouBelieve

Sorry to post something so personal, but I had to share this with somebody.

Around 1:30 AM last night, my family received a call from the hospital that we were going to lose my grandfather and that we should head on down. Now, he's been sick with prostate cancer for a while, but we were assured a week ago that he had 1-2 months left to go. Needless to say, the call was devastating. Fortunately, we made it down to the hospital to say our final goodbyes. My grandpa (I called him Gramps) was in and out of consciousness, but you could tell he was happy to see us one last time. He passed away around 3 AM.

I haven't been able to sleep since then, only reflect. My Gramps was probably the biggest Sabres fan I knew. He was well into his 40s when Buffalo got the franchise, but he was a lifetime hockey fan and he became one of the first Sabres season ticket holders (according to him, anyway...he was a bit of a storyteller). He could probably repeat each of the Sabres' rosters verbatim, dating back to the 70s. When my Grandma passed away in 98, it was the 99 playoffs that finally beat his depression and grief. At least, until "No Goal". My Gramps, in many ways, WAS the Sabres. My Dad's not too much of a sports fan, but my Gramps made sure that I was raised with the Bills and the Sabres, and most importantly a healthy respect for loyalty to my hometown. When it seemed that our Sabres might leave town, my Gramps was one of the more vocal protestors against it. The stories just go on and on and on.

It saddens me that he never got to see Buffalo reach the promised land of a Stanley Cup or a Superbowl. A month ago, he told me to make sure the Sabres won the Cup, in case he didn't make it. I told him he'd be there watching when they won. I was wrong.

I don't usually believe in the supernatural, but when the Sabres came back from 3 down against the Pens and the Thrash in two consecutive games, I felt like they were getting a little push from a hospital bed in Buffalo.

My Gramps was a great man. A father, a grandfather, a husband, a brother, a war veteran, a Sabres fan. And I think he's still all of those things...just in a better place.

Maybe it's wrong to think about hockey right now, but the Sabres (and this message board) are a good escape for me. The rest of the season will be bittersweet, but if Gramps was still around he'd be vehemently rooting the Sabres along toward the Stanley Cup...so I think I'll do that. If they do take home the cup, I know one citizen of heaven is going to be a very happy man.

RIP Alfredo Capono 1932 - 2010

And Go Sabres

Sorry to post something so personal, but I had to share this with somebody.

Around 1:30 AM last night, my family received a call from the hospital that we were going to lose my grandfather and that we should head on down. Now, he's been sick with prostate cancer for a while, but we were assured a week ago that he had 1-2 months left to go. Needless to say, the call was devastating. Fortunately, we made it down to the hospital to say our final goodbyes. My grandpa (I called him Gramps) was in and out of consciousness, but you could tell he was happy to see us one last time. He passed away around 3 AM.

I haven't been able to sleep since then, only reflect. My Gramps was probably the biggest Sabres fan I knew. He was well into his 40s when Buffalo got the franchise, but he was a lifetime hockey fan and he became one of the first Sabres season ticket holders (according to him, anyway...he was a bit of a storyteller). He could probably repeat each of the Sabres' rosters verbatim, dating back to the 70s. When my Grandma passed away in 98, it was the 99 playoffs that finally beat his depression and grief. At least, until "No Goal". My Gramps, in many ways, WAS the Sabres. My Dad's not too much of a sports fan, but my Gramps made sure that I was raised with the Bills and the Sabres, and most importantly a healthy respect for loyalty to my hometown. When it seemed that our Sabres might leave town, my Gramps was one of the more vocal protestors against it. The stories just go on and on and on.

It saddens me that he never got to see Buffalo reach the promised land of a Stanley Cup or a Superbowl. A month ago, he told me to make sure the Sabres won the Cup, in case he didn't make it. I told him he'd be there watching when they won. I was wrong.

I don't usually believe in the supernatural, but when the Sabres came back from 3 down against the Pens and the Thrash in two consecutive games, I felt like they were getting a little push from a hospital bed in Buffalo.

My Gramps was a great man. A father, a grandfather, a husband, a brother, a war veteran, a Sabres fan. And I think he's still all of those things...just in a better place.

Maybe it's wrong to think about hockey right now, but the Sabres (and this message board) are a good escape for me. The rest of the season will be bittersweet, but if Gramps was still around he'd be vehemently rooting the Sabres along toward the Stanley Cup...so I think I'll do that. If they do take home the cup, I know one citizen of heaven is going to be a very happy man.

RIP Alfredo Capono 1932 - 2010

And Go Sabres

Great post, and very sorry to hear about your loss. Your Grandfather sounded like a passionate Sabres fan, and an even better person.

I understand exactly what you mean about the escape to hockey and this board. About 3 years ago, I lost my job, and then a week later, my wife lost our first child during pregnancy. The day after the operation, I watched the Sabres knock off the Islanders in the playoffs and came on to this board and shared my story. I received so many nice comments and condolences, that I knew I had to return the favor.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Isn't it great that your grandfather shared his love of Sabres hockey with you? You will always remember what that means to you everytime you attend a Sabres game as well as the times you shared talking about sports. My condolences.

My condolences to you and your family.

Thank you for sharing your story.

As long as you continue to tell the story to your children and places like this his legacy lives on.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and yours today.

Archived