Sabres just lost their biggest fan

NowDoYouBelieve

I just wanted to thank everybody once again. The compassion of my fellow man never ceases to amaze me. My family has a lot of recovering to do, but your kind words help a lot.

You're all correct in that it was a blessing to have my Gramps for 21 years, and that his memory will always live on, especially as it relates to the Blue and Gold.

Gramps will live on through you, my friend.

My dad has been gone almost 11 years now, and I find myself making all the same sounds and bitching at the TV just like he did. "Get it out" was his refrain when the Sabres went into their late-game defensive shell. I still yell it at the TV just like he did.

You will find yourself doing a lot of the same things that Gramps did, and it will make you feel good when it happens.

Best wishes to you and your family, and my condolences as well.

You should contact the Sabres and tell them your story. It would be a wonderful gesture if you gave them a small personal item from Gramps they could keep on the bench during the playoffs. A way to have Gramps there in spirit

PTR

I myself as well as everyone on this messageboard feel your pain and wish you the best, and i definitely feel you should do hat promo said in this post. God Bless you and your family and may Gramps RIP

Sorry for your loss. I can relate to your situation and this post is proof of the importance of the sabres to this community! When we finally get over the hump and win the cup....I can assure you your grandfather will be there with you! Go sabres and thanks to all the past and present Sabres who have provided the greatest moments!

Sorry to post something so personal, but I had to share this with somebody.

Around 1:30 AM last night, my family received a call from the hospital that we were going to lose my grandfather and that we should head on down. Now, he's been sick with prostate cancer for a while, but we were assured a week ago that he had 1-2 months left to go. Needless to say, the call was devastating. Fortunately, we made it down to the hospital to say our final goodbyes. My grandpa (I called him Gramps) was in and out of consciousness, but you could tell he was happy to see us one last time. He passed away around 3 AM.

I haven't been able to sleep since then, only reflect. My Gramps was probably the biggest Sabres fan I knew. He was well into his 40s when Buffalo got the franchise, but he was a lifetime hockey fan and he became one of the first Sabres season ticket holders (according to him, anyway...he was a bit of a storyteller). He could probably repeat each of the Sabres' rosters verbatim, dating back to the 70s. When my Grandma passed away in 98, it was the 99 playoffs that finally beat his depression and grief. At least, until "No Goal". My Gramps, in many ways, WAS the Sabres. My Dad's not too much of a sports fan, but my Gramps made sure that I was raised with the Bills and the Sabres, and most importantly a healthy respect for loyalty to my hometown. When it seemed that our Sabres might leave town, my Gramps was one of the more vocal protestors against it. The stories just go on and on and on.

It saddens me that he never got to see Buffalo reach the promised land of a Stanley Cup or a Superbowl. A month ago, he told me to make sure the Sabres won the Cup, in case he didn't make it. I told him he'd be there watching when they won. I was wrong.

I don't usually believe in the supernatural, but when the Sabres came back from 3 down against the Pens and the Thrash in two consecutive games, I felt like they were getting a little push from a hospital bed in Buffalo.

My Gramps was a great man. A father, a grandfather, a husband, a brother, a war veteran, a Sabres fan. And I think he's still all of those things...just in a better place.

Maybe it's wrong to think about hockey right now, but the Sabres (and this message board) are a good escape for me. The rest of the season will be bittersweet, but if Gramps was still around he'd be vehemently rooting the Sabres along toward the Stanley Cup...so I think I'll do that. If they do take home the cup, I know one citizen of heaven is going to be a very happy man.

RIP Alfredo Capono 1932 - 2010

And Go Sabres

Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

I agree with PTR: write the Sabres FO and tell them your story. I would not be surprised if they didn't take this account of events for granted. In fact, I think that there will probably be a few misty eyes around there and that it would probably be a strong motivator for them - not so much as to win a title for themselves, but that they would be doing it for the fans with the utmost sincerity.

Not much else to add. My condolences to you and yours for your loss, and I hope you take solace in knowing that Gramps will be sitting by your side, watching a Buffalo playoff run.

Oh, and cancer sucks.

So sorry about Gramps. I happened on a documentary film last night called "Young@Heart." http://www.pbs.org/i...young-at-heart/ It's about a senior citizen singing group somewhere in New England. But instead of singing "You are My Sunshine" and other nursing home staples, they take on rock and roll classics. It's so funny. They're all in their 70s and 80s, and they're covering The Clash.

Not exactly sure why, but the film got me to thinking about this thread. Probably because during the filming, two of the members died. In the video I am linking below, it was supposed to be a duet, but the singer's partner died a day before the show. The performance is so utterly sad and joyful at the same time -- the essence and contradiction of mourning. I know right now that sadness is enjoying a two-man advantage on you. Has the puck on a string and you can't clear the zone. Know with certainty that eventually you'll break out and skate in alone and find that sadness has been pulled for the extra attacker. And joy will light the lamp. I hope that day comes soon. :)

Actually, the video might be a bit tough for you to watch right now. So maybe save it for another day. I know I can't watch it without crying, and it's been almost three years since I lost my dad, who came home from work one day in the spring of 1978 and hung his overcoat on one of those metal hangers you put over the top of a door, sat down for dinner and a few minutes later asked me to go get his glasses out of his coat pocket. I reached in and pulled out a pair of reds to Game 4 of the Sabres-Flyers series! This was just weeks after he took me to my first game at the Aud.

I feel so lucky to have had him until he was in his 80s. And cheated by the fact I didn't really know either one of my grandfathers.

The singer, by the way, died a year ago -- from that POS cancer.

Archived