Tyler Myers Thread

bob_sauve28

Funny that you should bring this up. I know they are only brief shots during the game and therefore not an accurate representation of what is going on, but it seems like every time they show the players on the bench, they are sitting next to each other like two strangers on the subway.

Last game, they showed Roy's line and they were talking it up. Doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes you see it. Oh, and Vanek is usually talking to (or swearing at) himself.

Side note: Clarke MacArthur is one of the strangest people on the bench. He looks like he is completely zoned out and unaware that a game is going on in front of him. It's really strange.

Side note: Clarke MacArthur is one of the strangest people on the bench. He looks like he is completely zoned out and unaware that a game is going on in front of him. It's really strange.

I have noticed that! He has a sort of glazed-over look on his eyes, and then when he gets tapped on the shoulder to go over the boards he snaps out of it. I guess that's his version of getting in the zone, like Miller has his zen-state.

Myers selected as a first-line All-Star for the Eastern Conference (if there would have been a game) by TSN (or at least by Matthew Barnaby...)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=306317

I like one comment's suggestion of Chara-Myers as the starting pairing. Not that Pronger-Myers isn't a scary prospect, too.

the play last night where he fell down along the boards with an Islanders player seemingly headed for a 1 on 1 confrontation with Miller, only to have Myers take the puck away from him on his knees, stick handle around the guy from his knees, then make a perfect outlet pass to another Sabre player with a second Islander coming at him while still on his knees was pretty unbelievable...there aren't a whole lot of guys who could have executed a play like that in the NHL, let alone a guy who is a 19 year old rookie...it's almost scary to begin to think about how good this kid can be...

the play last night where he fell down along the boards with an Islanders player seemingly headed for a 1 on 1 confrontation with Miller, only to have Myers take the puck away from him on his knees, stick handle around the guy from his knees, then make a perfect outlet pass to another Sabre player with a second Islander coming at him while still on his knees was pretty unbelievable...there aren't a whole lot of guys who could have executed a play like that in the NHL, let alone a guy who is a 19 year old rookie...it's almost scary to begin to think about how good this kid can be...

Yep, that play stood out to me too, I think I literally said "wow" outloud when I saw it (and I was watching the game alone). Unbelievable.

• 3 weeks later...

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=515935&navid=DL|BUF|home

Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers, who led all rookies in average ice time per game (24:42) and ranked third in scoring with 10 points (four goals, six assists), has been named the NHL Rookie of the Month for January.

This won't be his last time being in the NHL news. :thumbsup:

I was looking at Myers' stats; TOI, in particular. He leads rookies and is 31st in the NHL with 23:29 of TOI/GP. However, that includes those early games where Lindy was just getting a feel for him. Over his last 30 games, he's averaged 24:44, which would be good enough for 13th in the NHL. Coincidentally, he's also tied for 13th in scoring amongst defensemen.

I was looking at Myers' stats; TOI, in particular. He leads rookies and is 31st in the NHL with 23:29 of TOI/GP. However, that includes those early games where Lindy was just getting a feel for him. Over his last 30 games, he's averaged 24:44, which would be good enough for 13th in the NHL. Coincidentally, he's also tied for 13th in scoring amongst defensemen.

Rough outing against the Pens but,

As a Rookie, Tyler Myers has consistently been our best Sabre defensemen and that in itself is pretty amazing stuff. Add the fact the kid has mad scoring/puck handling capabilities and is only going to get better and you have to wonder if this is the guy that finally puts the Sabres over the top.

and I'll bet we haven't even scratched the surface yet...

Rough outing against the Pens but,

As a Rookie, Tyler Myers has consistently been our best Sabre defensemen and that in itself is pretty amazing stuff. Add the fact the kid has mad scoring/puck handling capabilities and is only going to get better and you have to wonder if this is the guy that finally puts the Sabres over the top.

and I'll bet we haven't even scratched the surface yet...

In a few years (or a few months), he might be one of the major pieces every Cup champion needs. We still might have Miller playing at a level that represents another major piece. And we'll probably have more than a few of the spare pieces you need. But no Sabre fan should have any confidence that this organization will go out and get whatever that missing piece is. It's never been done, with three different owners, over the course of almost 40 years. I give you the mid to late 70s, the late 90s and the mid to late 00s.

In a few years (or a few months), he might be one of the major pieces every Cup champion needs. We still might have Miller playing at a level that represents another major piece. And we'll probably have more than a few of the spare pieces you need. But no Sabre fan should have any confidence that this organization will go out and get whatever that missing piece is. It's never been done, with three different owners, over the course of almost 40 years. I give you the mid to late 70s, the late 90s and the mid to late 00s.

But how often does this happen? (I assume you're talking about bringing in an elite player, not a solid character guy.) Which recent Cup winner has brought in an elite player shortly before winning a Cup? The only one that comes to mind is Anaheim bringing in Pronger, but that was a highly unusual situation. Detroit and Pittsburgh's cup teams were homegrown.

But how often does this happen? (I assume you're talking about bringing in an elite player, not a solid character guy.) Which recent Cup winner has brought in an elite player shortly before winning a Cup? The only one that comes to mind is Anaheim bringing in Pronger, but that was a highly unusual situation. Detroit and Pittsburgh's cup teams were homegrown.

Kunitz and Guerin.

Hossa brought in during the offseason.

Edit: neither team actually won with Hossa :w00t:

Kunitz and Guerin are good players, but far from elite.

Agreed, but they were both good fits and resolved the missing pieces of the puzzle last year. There are pieces of the Sabres' puzzle this year that can be resolved without fetching elite level players/talent. Just sayin'.

Archived