Tyler Myers Thread

bob_sauve28

I went to the Toronto game on Friday and got to see him live for the first time. Even more impressive in person. He skating ability is just incredible.

How lucky we are to have such a talent on the team. I don't think there is any doubt he will be our captain someday. I t seems that in all these come backs we have its Myers going sort of berzerk and all out, as if HE doesn't want the team to lose and the rest of the team feeds off of that. He just goes on some wild rush down the ice trying to get the next goal and the team responds with an intense forecheck.

If I was to make predictions, I'd say he is a future Norris winner, a league MVP, maybe and no doubt the backbone of our team for as long as we can keep him here.

Call me crazy, but there is no player in the league right now that I would trade him for.

He seems to impress more and more every game right now. I can only imagine when his frame fills out. It is abit ironic how a talented hard-working rookie inspires leadership and energy amongst the d-bags we have been bashing for the past couple years. Biggest difference from previous couple years is how the d-men are way more active taking the puck deep into the offensive zone, in which credit must be given to the forwards.

I have to throw Sheldon Sourays' name in this thread somewhere too! :D

Myers will be the lynch pin for this defense for years to come. Unfortunately, he won't win the Calder award for Rookie of the year, nor the Norris Trophy. He will eventually win the Norris though.

The kid is on a great defensive team with great goaltending. He has flashes of offensive ability that are truly great. He is the future captain of the Buffalo Sabres.

I don't see why not. He's started scoring goals now, and that will get him noticed. The ice time he plays, his assists. Ya, he will get serious consideration I would think

Tyler has more points, already, than Barret Jackman had in his entire Calder trophy season (3g, 16A), is averaging over three minutes more TOI per game than Jackman did and his +9 over 44 games isn't too far off Jackman's +23 in 82GP pace. If Myers can stay up near the rookie leaders in points, chip in a decent number of goals, continue to lead rookies in ice time by a wide margin and keep adding to his +/-, then he will have a good shot. He's definitely at a disadvantage being a defenseman (only happened six times since the 1967 expansion), but it would not be unheard of.

Myers will be the lynch pin for this defense for years to come. Unfortunately, he won't win the Calder award for Rookie of the year, nor the Norris Trophy. He will eventually win the Norris though.

The kid is on a great defensive team with great goaltending. He has flashes of offensive ability that are truly great. He is the future captain of the Buffalo Sabres.

He will if he goes to the All Star game.. Help vote him in and just like Briere and Campbell, the league will elevate his stature.

Let me say that I love the way the kid has played and I find myself considering the possibility that in future seasons the Sabres could boast the league's best goaltender and best defenseman.

However, let's not get too carried away. History tells us that there are no guarantees going forward.

By the way, what would LA's backline look like with Doughty, Johnson and Myers?

I'm embarrassed to say that I was very upset that the Sabres didn't just stay where they were and take Teubert(if the Kings had drafted Myers that is).

This was an entirely understandable reaction to the overall lack of toughness that pervaded the team in '07-'08 prior to the Sabres drafting him in '08. I think a lot of posters wanted the Sabres to take Teubert or at least seriously entertained this preference. Teubert's name even sounds tough. OTOH, DR deserves credit for identifying Myers as a special talent and trading up to get him.

He's showing signs of being an elite talent, so automatically he's a future captain? I don't get those statements at all.

+1

He's showing signs of being an elite talent, so automatically he's a future captain? I don't get those statements at all.

Taken together with the fact that he seems, at least from my observation, to be a leader already. The way he leads by example when they are behind. But maybe not. I was just sayin

Taken together with the fact that he seems, at least from my observation, to be a leader already. The way he leads by example when they are behind. But maybe not. I was just sayin

I'd love to go back through posts all over this board and see how many players have been tabbed as future captains at some point. We can say all we want, but we have no idea what goes on in that locker room and who the true leaders are.

I was watching the Bruins/Rags game yesterday. Chara grabbed the puck and made a Myers like move where he skated it behind the Ranger net trying to make a play. The difference in their skating ability is astounding. Chara was so awkward that he actually looked like a bubble hockey player, sliding back and forth with his feet wide apart, and Chara is great. Myers skates like he is 5'8". I'm really glad he's a Sabre.

I was watching the Bruins/Rags game yesterday. Chara grabbed the puck and made a Myers like move where he skated it behind the Ranger net trying to make a play. The difference in their skating ability is astounding. Chara was so awkward that he actually looked like a bubble hockey player, sliding back and forth with his feet wide apart, and Chara is great. Myers skates like he is 5'8". I'm really glad he's a Sabre.

And Chara won the Norris last year! Nothing against Chara but our kid is way better. I think Dan Boyle in San Jose is a better player right now, but not for long.

I'd love to go back through posts all over this board and see how many players have been tabbed as future captains at some point. We can say all we want, but we have no idea what goes on in that locker room and who the true leaders are.

I agree with this, but I also think you can see leadership on the ice. For example, Gaustad has shown significant leadership this year on the ice.

Forget Captain...that's small potatoes. Best way to describe Myers:

First Ballot Hall of Famer.

Down, boy.

And Chara won the Norris last year! Nothing against Chara but our kid is way better. I think Dan Boyle in San Jose is a better player right now, but not for long.

IMHO, not yet, but if we're very lucky, he might get to that level. They are different players. Chara isn't as good of a skater as Myers, but he has other strengths. The overall package is a great player. Myers is capable of getting there too.

I agree with this, but I also think you can see leadership on the ice. For example, Gaustad has shown significant leadership this year on the ice.

True, but with a 19 year old it's a completely different story. There are so many different paths his career can go down from here. Here is what I really want to see, but they never seem to show on tv. Who is he talking to while he's on the bench? Those are the moments where you actually do get to see a glimpse of who the leaders are.

Who is he talking to while he's on the bench? Those are the moments where you actually do get to see a glimpse of who the leaders are.

Funny that you should bring this up. I know they are only brief shots during the game and therefore not an accurate representation of what is going on, but it seems like every time they show the players on the bench, they are sitting next to each other like two strangers on the subway.

Archived