The Western Swing

wjag

If you we're a betting man/woman, how many points  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How many points starting @ATL and finishing @VAN

Jinx, sminx

Ottawa has already finished their swing. Boston is out west in January as well. Getting thru these games with a reasonable amount of points is important to maintain division seeding.

Jinx, sminx

Ottawa has already finished their swing. Boston is out west in January as well. Getting thru these games with a reasonable amount of points is important to maintain division seeding.

Interesting. Right now we have 9-point lead in the division over BOS and a 15-point lead over 9th-place PHI. No matter how poorly the 7-game trip goes, we'll still be right in the thick of things.

Just don't overlook the two eastern conference games in anticipation of the trip out west! Two quick losses to NYI and ATL wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but they need to be the focus before worrying about games against PHO, SJS, and the like.

That is going to be a tough road trip. We will learn a lot about the team on this trip.

+1,

Historically they have not done well. Now we get to see a test again of how this team has matured and also how well they play their system.

I voted for 9 pts.

+1,

Historically they have not done well. Now we get to see a test again of how this team has matured and also how well they play their system.

I voted for 9 pts.

To me, the only thing "scary" about this road-trip is the quality of the opposition. These are some good teams on the schedule in the next 2 weeks, particularly next week. I really don't think history has anything to do with it. The Sabres of 2009-2010 have shown over and over that, other than in Ottawa, they are more likely to play a solid "system game" on the road than at home. If they do that 7 times in a row, or even 5 out of 7, they will get a decent amount of points - and only get beat if the home team plays exceptionally well.

It seems to me the Sabres beat themselves at home much more than they do on the road. I believe this trip will be good for them... both from team chemistry perspective and from a "simplify the game" perspective.

I think if they come away from the trip at 0.500 it will have been a success. Once they hit Cali, they always lose focus. It must be the summer weather or the blondes by the dozens. I'm hoping for some ass-kicking this year unlike the last few times out here. I took a week off to go this time.

To me, the only thing "scary" about this road-trip is the quality of the opposition. These are some good teams on the schedule in the next 2 weeks, particularly next week. I really don't think history has anything to do with it. The Sabres of 2009-2010 have shown over and over that, other than in Ottawa, they are more likely to play a solid "system game" on the road than at home. If they do that 7 times in a row, or even 5 out of 7, they will get a decent amount of points - and only get beat if the home team plays exceptionally well.

It seems to me the Sabres beat themselves at home much more than they do on the road. I believe this trip will be good for them... both from team chemistry perspective and from a "simplify the game" perspective.

Two good bolded points. I also thought about the chemistry and simplification being potential good things from this trip as well. One other thing I would add is a good time for their top 6 to start producing like a top 6. My last point looking ahead at the schedule I would like to see Lalime getting 2 games at least and preferably the two Mondays; Phoenix and Canucks, that way Miller can play when they return home against Marty and the Devils and give us a little olympic preview.

The Western Swing has almost always been a thorn in their side, regardless of roster makeup. I don't think there's ever been a time where they swept it.

They went 4-2-1 in 2007-08 on a seven-game road trip. Last year was mixed: they went 1-2-0, came home to beat the Hurricanes, then went 3-3-0. I'd be happy with anything over .500 (7 points), which should (barring a major run by someone below them) keep them in the top spot in the NE with some cushion, but hope that they can do better than that. A major losing streak here would put them right back in the pack; a major winning streak (9 points or better) would put them up with the 2006-07 Sabres (they had 65 points through 44GP and 70 points through 51GP.)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am really excited about this western swing. I'm kind of a night owl, so these late starts are going to be pretty cool. More than that, though, I'm looking forward to seeing teams that we don't normally get to see. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Kings game and word is they are pretty good. Luongo is prone to giving up 4 or 5 every so often so I'm hoping for that. And let's not forget about Parros' 'stache (wow, how often do you get to type 2 apostrophes in a row).

I chose only seven points in the poll and I'd be happy with that. Even with these low expectations I'm looking forward to this coming week.

...and 3 of 4 is a nice start already.

EDIT: I forgot about the rematch with The 'Yotes. I wonder how long it's going to take Doan to start crying about Kaleta again.

EDIT: I forgot about the rematch with The 'Yotes. I wonder how long it's going to take Doan to start crying about Kaleta again.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten all about that. Thanks for the reminder. I'm glad Crash is back and (seemingly) healthy for this trip. :)

Speaking of which.... I just realized the game @PHX Monday is an early start due to the holiday, so it starts at 7pm EST. Just a heads up ;)

Glad you said something.. Just assumed it was going to be late. That's outstanding news. :thumbsup:

Archived