Gerbe

JJFIVEOH

Gerbe looked good in his brief stint last year, and looked like he wanted to play the last game he was in this year. Not to mention scoring a goal. The Sabres have a relatively healthy lineup. If some of our star players need to be benched in order to start performing, why isn't he inserted into the lineup to take the place of whoever needs to be benched? Why can't the coaches reward a player who has the determination to play by putting him into the lineup in place of some of the slackers?

Who do you bump off the roster to keep him? They're one over the limit and someone had to be sent down. As for him looking good last year, he looked lost the entire time. He looked like a kid who wasn't ready. I don't know where you're coming from with that one.

Like Shrades said, it's a numbers game. While he has looked much improved over last year, IMHO he hasn't warranted a player move to keep him on the roster. Ellis, Mair or Paetsch would be the most likely candidates for demotion and each one has played well this year.

Who do you bump off the roster to keep him? They're one over the limit and someone had to be sent down. As for him looking good last year, he looked lost the entire time. He looked like a kid who wasn't ready. I don't know where you're coming from with that one.

I know you have a dislike of him because of your hatred of all things Boston, so I'll take this statement with a grain of salt, but that wouldn't be my description of his play at all.

I know you have a dislike of him because of your hatred of all things Boston, so I'll take this statement with a grain of salt, but that wouldn't be my description of his play at all.

He was brought in to add a little spark to the offense, played 10 games and registered a single assist. What exactly did he do right last year?

Well it would be MY description of his play last year too. And probably also inkman's. Gerbe showed us nothing last year.

Fail :thumbdown:

Shrader was spot on. I watched Gerbe in college and was a huge fan of his play then - he was pretty bad in the ten games he was up here, did not look ready for the NHL at all. He showed more in the first game he played this season than in the sum total of the ten last year.

OK when I made the post I didn't consider the roster spots and the moves needed to get him in. I was thinking more along the lines of getting him some playing time while some of our better scorers continue to go through the motions. Yes, he did make a lot of mistakes last year, but his effort has been there. Too many of our best players have had to be benched late in games in the last few weeks and figure it would make a lot of sense to let him play if/when this happens. I think he deserves a chance so why not give it to him when Lindy decides to sit his best players during games? Not saying he's ready to be a full time player, but what incentive is it to a benched player if he just knows that he will be back in the lineup the next game?

OK when I made the post I didn't consider the roster spots and the moves needed to get him in. I was thinking more along the lines of getting him some playing time while some of our better scorers continue to go through the motions. Yes, he did make a lot of mistakes last year, but his effort has been there. Too many of our best players have had to be benched late in games in the last few weeks and figure it would make a lot of sense to let him play if/when this happens. I think he deserves a chance so why not give it to him when Lindy decides to sit his best players during games? Not saying he's ready to be a full time player, but what incentive is it to a benched player if he just knows that he will be back in the lineup the next game?

You have to consider Gerbe's development too. At this point in his career, he needs to get as much ice time as possible. He's not going to get that in Buffalo waiting for Ruff to bench somebody.

You have to consider Gerbe's development too. At this point in his career, he needs to get as much ice time as possible. He's not going to get that in Buffalo waiting for Ruff to bench somebody.

And he still has one year left on his entry level deal, so they have the luxury of time here.

Anyway, I've got a great quote from former NHL ref Paul Stewart about Gerbe. I'll have to dig that up when I get the chance. Let's just say that he's not too crazy about his style of play.

OK OK I get your points! All good ones BTW. :D

I still think he is deserving of a roster spot in the near future and/or some playing time later on if somebody else needs to be benched. If anything bring him in late in the season for some ice time IF they need him for the playoffs. Fortunately, (knock on wood) we've had a relatively healthy lineup to this point.

Archived