GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

If Lalime gets lit up tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last appearance for the Sabres. There's been too much chatter/movement lately about him and the backup position.

If he gets lit up tonight he should be waived. I am so tired of this situation.

I think this is right.

BTW, it looks like Montreal is looking to trade Halak: check it out. They want a top-6 forward in return. Bob Gainey, their GM, was a terrific player and is a terrible GM who loves to overpay small forwards. The Habs also are always looking to add French-Canadians. Could we unload Pommer, saddle the Habs with another atrocious contract, and pick up an excellent #2 goalie in the bargain?

Pull that trigger I would love to see Pommers slap chest shots into Miller over and over again.

Pull that trigger I would love to see Pommers slap chest shots into Miller over and over again.

but you dont understand, he scored alot of points one year..... :wallbash: :doh:

Id only notice pommers was gone bc there would now be a new slowest skater on the team who misses open nets.

I think this is right.

BTW, it looks like Montreal is looking to trade Halak: check it out. They want a top-6 forward in return. Bob Gainey, their GM, was a terrific player and is a terrible GM who loves to overpay small forwards. The Habs also are always looking to add French-Canadians. Could we unload Pommer, saddle the Habs with another atrocious contract, and pick up an excellent #2 goalie in the bargain?

All disrespect intended, I think this is nuts. You weaken what offense we do have for the minimal gain of winning a few more games with the backup in goal.

I think this is right.

I wouldn't say he's terrible; he did build the Dallas team that was awarded the Cup a few years back. But I will say he hasn't done much lately.

If I were Darcy, I'd definitely be on the phone enquiring about that one at a minimum.

LOL, chz talking smack on the Hawks board.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

All disrespect intended, I think this is nuts. You weaken what offense we do have for the minimal gain of winning a few more games with the backup in goal.

Obtuse. (I'm assuming you know that the Sabres are paying Pommer $5.3MM per year for this year and the next FOUR and that they have zero cap room to add an impact player on offense unless they shed substantial salary.)

A few things on Pominville...

1. His contract isn't the biggest burden on the Sabres. He's not even in the top 2!

2. His goal scoring may be down from two years ago, but he is still good for 60+ points a year and plays a solid two way game. Not outrageous for 5 mil a year.

3. Don't kid yourself, his value is much greater than Halak.

I think this is right.

if he likes small forwards, send him Gerbe and Byron. The two combined equal one small forward.

A few things on Pominville...

1. His contract isn't the biggest burden on the Sabres. He's not even in the top 2!

2. His goal scoring may be down from two years ago, but he is still good for 60+ points a year and plays a solid two way game. Not outrageous for 5 mil a year.

3. Don't kid yourself, his value is much greater than Halak.

1. It's not the biggest contract, but I think the combination of high dollars, low productivity and length of commitment make it the worst contract on the team.

2. He's a nice player. Good hands, good hockey sense, good on the backcheck. I'd be very happy with him at $2.5MM per year, and tolerate him at $3.25MM per year. $5.3MM is insane for him. Here are some other guys who make about that much: Phil Kessel, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Olli Jokinen, Simon Gagne, Mike Green, Marty St. Louis, Brian Rolston, Sergei Gonchar, Jeff Carter.

3. Halak is not the main component coming back in my theoretical deal. The main component is the $5.3MM of cap/budget room. That is a very precious commodity in the NHL at this point. I think it would be just about impossible to unload Pommer for a good player who didn't have a bad contract.

2. He's a nice player. Good hands, good hockey sense, good on the backcheck. I'd be very happy with him at $2.5MM per year, and tolerate him at $3.25MM per year. $5.3MM is insane for him. Here are some other guys who make about that much: Phil Kessel, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Olli Jokinen, Simon Gagne, Mike Green, Marty St. Louis, Brian Rolston, Sergei Gonchar, Jeff Carter.

There are too many variables to just throw names out there of guys who have the same cap number. When were the contracts signed in comparison to the rest? How many years of UFA did they give up by signing their current contracts? Length of the contracts? I am not sure why you included defensemen in your list?

I have no idea about South Buffalo. Not even sure where it is, although I could guess it's in the south. :) But from all I've gathered, reading between the lines, it sounds like the home of a bunch of .

Anyone else get the idea Kane is not at all repentant for what he did? I've heard him say numerous times, something to the effect that he has to be careful what he does in public now, with all the attention he gets. Sounds a little too much like, "I'm sorry... I got caught."

Even though I grew up in Hamburg, I went to school in South Buffalo. Your characterization of South Buffalo is way off. Tough, yes, hard working, yes, rich, no. Of course my memories are 30 years old now..

There are too many variables to just throw names out there of guys who have the same cap number. When were the contracts signed in comparison to the rest? How many years of UFA did they give up by signing their current contracts? Length of the contracts? I am not sure why you included defensemen in your list?

I didn't just pick contracts with the same cap number -- e.g. I didn't include Marc Savard, who has a lower cap number, because he has one of those "loophole" deals where he gets $7MM per year and then drops down to less than $1MM. I picked contracts where the cash number and the cap number were roughly the same, and that were all for relatively long terms. You are right that there are other variables that go into it and that those can be significant. As for defensemen -- you are right that these are apples-and-oranges to some degree, but still: who would you rather have for $5.3MM -- Green or Pommer? or Gonchar or Pommer?

Obtuse. (I'm assuming you know that the Sabres are paying Pommer $5.3MM per year for this year and the next FOUR and that they have zero cap room to add an impact player on offense unless they shed substantial salary.)

OK, so we get a good backup and an impact player on offense for Mayor McPommers? I'll go for that. Is Darcy on board? Has anyone interrupted OSP's coupon-cutting to tell him?

As for defensemen -- you are right that these are apples-and-oranges to some degree, but still: who would you rather have for $5.3MM -- Green or Pommer? or Gonchar or Pommer?

Darcy says neither. Instead you get Rivet @ 3.5 for 3 years and give up two 2nd round picks to boot.

Darcy says neither. Instead you get Rivet @ 3.5 for 3 years and give up two 2nd round picks to boot.

I may be in the minority on this, but I'm not unhappy with Rivet. This team was dying for some grown-ups and some toughness, and he's delivered. He's probably a bit overpaid relative to production, but I think he's a big part of the improvement in focus and team defense we've seen this year.

Even if you think he stinks, though, Pommer's contract is much worse. And I'm confident that Darcy would trade Pommer for either Green or Gonchar in a heartbeat.

I may be in the minority on this, but I'm not unhappy with Rivet. This team was dying for some grown-ups and some toughness, and he's delivered. He's probably a bit overpaid relative to production, but I think he's a big part of the improvement in focus and team defense we've seen this year.

Even if you think he stinks, though, Pommer's contract is much worse. And I'm confident that Darcy would trade Pommer for either Green or Gonchar in a heartbeat.

I'm not unhappy with Rivet either, I feel strongly both ways. He was what we needed last year, this year the attention has gone to Myers. If Rivet keeps doing what he's doing, playing silently, not getting noticed (good for d-man) I'll be happy.

As for Pommers, he is what he is. Consistent. Played 2.5 years? without missing a game, always on the backcheck, besides a bad clear here and there, he just that, consistent. He's not a huge goal scorer right now but he plays all ends and situations on the ice. FWIW, we could list every person on the team or any team for that matter and pick apart something about them. But I guess that's what this board is for.

I'm not unhappy with Rivet either, I feel strongly both ways. He was what we needed last year, this year the attention has gone to Myers. If Rivet keeps doing what he's doing, playing silently, not getting noticed (good for d-man) I'll be happy.

That's my problem with him. I "notice" him way too much. :doh:

That's my problem with him. I "notice" him way too much. :doh:

True that. He's been shocking the first few games this year. Shocking like Lydman and Tallinder's drop off in play last season was shocking last year. That being said, I think he's gotten better the last few games, because I haven't noticed the lapses as much.

Archived