GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I was very impressed with the win. Granted, there were some shaky moments that had me worried if they were going to let this one get away. Lalime still gave me reason for concern with his awkward style of play. However, if he can improve over the horrible start to the season and not let this be the only win of the season, then this is something he can build on.

I loved the hit that Kaleta put on Campbell. There's a reason why he leads the team in hits.

Pretty goals don't win games. Going to the net and doing so persistently helps win games. I hope they got that message tonight.

Looks like the Sabres are learning how to trap instead of still trying to buy into the "New Coke NHL" several seasons after it went by the wayside.

Keep it up, boys! Sixty minutes of effort will help you win games.

My take.

- The entire D looked great. But there were 2 plays that Rivet and Montador made (I don't remember when) that just made my jaw drop. They were completely non-flashy plays that just wowed me.

- Why people are so ready to part with Roy is beyond me.

- I've always liked Gerbe. I liked him last year when he came up. I liked him in Boston. We get it, he's short. Get over it because game is game, and he's got it.

- Great job by Ruff for playing Lalime tonight. Riding the high of beating Washington and actually giving him the support of a team in front of him.

That's it.

- Why people are so ready to part with Roy is beyond me.

Because he doesn't play like that every night.

That said, I am fine with Roy and spent much of the offseason defending him (although he is a bit of a pretty boy) ... he is a nice No. 2 center and he is paid as such. If he ever plays consistently like he did tonight (more than 23 minutes of ice time!), he's a bargain. Connolly's up-and-down act is getting old, however.

There has been about one-third of a season's worth of games before this one, you know.

I agree with you, not because of one game, but they did a great job against Washington and once again tonight, against 2 of the top 3 offensive teams in the league. Patrick Lalime played great, and i admit, i doubted him, but great game by Lalime. His confidence has got to be at a peak right now.

The problem with the Sabres is they are very inconsistent and i am not sure the offense can win a shootout game. We rely on defense too much. I don't know if it's the style holding us back or if their just in a funk (Connolly only has 2 goals in last 18 games, and both game in 1 game). When their on top of their game, i truly believe they can skate and compete against anyone. However, many times, the teams fighting for the top pick in the draft give the Sabres a handful.

Brian Koziol is somewhat ripping the fans who booed. He correctly says the fans should put their energy into chanting or cheering for the Sabres. Naive young man. How about the people streaming for the exits with 16 seconds left? I shuddered. Who sits there for three hours, then runs out with that much time left? The Hawks, of course, threatened to tie the game.

In a one goal game, I agree. But otherwise, on a 15-degree night, I'm running to get on that train with 16 secs left. (I'm a cold wuss.)

Tonight WAS a one goal game, though.

That said, I am fine with Roy and spent much of the offseason defending him (although he is a bit of a pretty boy) ... he is a nice No. 2 center and he is paid as such. If he ever plays consistently like he did tonight (more than 23 minutes of ice time!), he's a bargain. Connolly's up-and-down act is getting old, however.

Waste of $4.5M? :unsure:

- I've always liked Gerbe. I liked him last year when he came up. I liked him in Boston. We get it, he's short. Get over it because game is game, and he's got it.

Not all of us who have criticized Gerbe have been so baseless to criticize him because of his height. Last year he was horrible when called up, and he was horrible during the pre-season this year.

These two games, however, it's like a different player out there altogether.

Maybe not every night, but most nights. I find it funny that he's been our leading points getter, because I find the work he does in our own end to be some of his strongest, and nobody notices.

Maybe not every night, but most nights. I find it funny that he's been our leading points getter, because I find the work he does in our own end to be some of his strongest, and nobody notices.

Feel the same way about TV. I'm going to make a point out of looking for that from Roy over the next week.

Feel the same way about TV. I'm going to make a point out of looking for that from Roy over the next week.

TV is another one. He's not always in the play on defense (I partly blame Ruff's system for that), but when he is, he always makes it.

Not all of us who have criticized Gerbe have been so baseless to criticize him because of his height. Last year he was horrible when called up, and he was horrible during the pre-season this year.

These two games, however, it's like a different player out there altogether.

Totally agreed. I watched him play his final year in college and loved what i saw. Most reporters doubted him but i couldn't not watch him play because he was exciting. Same goes for the WJC when he was a human wrecking ball hitting everything in sight. I watched him closely via theahl.com last year and each night his goals and assists kept rising. I thought for sure he would be a success. But when called up, he never looked like he belonged. He looked mismatched and i started to believe all the doubters and i myself doubted him. I thought he had a golden opportunity to make this team this summer but once again failed and had a poor pre-season and i thought for sure, the size issue was just too much to over come. But, in these past 2 games, i thought he'd been great. He's attacking, he's setting plays up, he's made a few hits and his backchecking has been suburb.

They need to find a way to keep this guy.

Exactly. Derek Roy's hustle and backchecking has been great. The play he did in the Washington play should have been a espn top 10 play... the play Roby highlighted during intermission when he skated full ice to stop a pass.... Roy has matured a lot and he's becoming a real leader, has bought into Lindy's defensive system and works hard. As expected when we drafted Roy, he will be the next captain of the Sabres.

Well, that was a very nice win. My game notes:

1. Kane was the best forward on the ice tonight.

2. But Lalime was the best player! Holy mackarel.

3. Very strong game by Rivet.

4. Pommer's giveaway led directly to Chicago's goal, and he had another awful one later in the 3rd.

5. Speaking of disappointing forwards, TC was invisible again.

6. Very good team defense tonight.

7. The Sabres looked overwhelmed for the first 7-8 minutes, but found their game and played even or better with Chicago for the rest of the 1st and most of the 2nd.

8. Sekera quietly is playing very well and working his way up in ice time. He had the 3rd-most tonight among the D. Myers of course was #1 again.

9. Kennedy made a great play on Mac's goal -- absorbed a big hit while keeping the puck in the offensive zone that knocked him down, he got back up quickly to keep it in again, controlled it and made a nice look-away pass into the crease.

10. Miller will be pretty fired up tomorrow night after losing to Lundy last time around and getting last night off.

Go Sabres. Good work boys.

Game thoughts...

- Lalime played beyond anyone's expectations.

- The fans who repeatedly booed Kane are morons. Way to treat the hometown kid.

- Solid win to end the homestand.

I didn't go to the game, and even if i did, i doubt i'd boo Kane. But, Kane was treated like a king in 2007, even after he scored. I think him acting like a total douche bag had something to do with the booing. I can't blame the people for doing it.

Just Cause:

1. Kane.. Kane.. Kane.. That kid was everywhere and does everything.. He is going to be a true superstar in the NHL in a couple of years. His talent is there. His moves are there.. His intangibles are there..

2. Lalime stopped eight shots on one PP. When was the last time you saw a team, any team, get eight shots on one PP?

3. MacArthur with another goal. Who could have projected before the season started that Mac would lead the team in goals?

4. Vanek's goal was sweetness. He held his ground and siezed his opportunity.

5. Perfect camera angle to see Gerbe hit Campbell. If that camera shot didn't capture it, we probably would never have seen it or believed it.

6. I can see why some get annoyed with Kaleta. He clearly baits you into hitting him.. His head snaps back when hit like he has been shot. That one replay we saw last night clearly shows his agitator style.

7. Buffalo was lucky the Tallinder penalty for tripping, making it a 4 on 3 happened when the team was already playing short, 4 on 4. Otherwise a 5 on 3 there might have changed the game.

8. Lalime looked Miller-like last night. He always seemed in control and covered his scrambles well.

9. Kennedy gets knocked down all the time.. He gets right back up, but he gets knocked down more than even Roy does.

10.Having your starting goalie fresh for a back-to-back, coming off an important win, and needing retribution, priceless...

- The fans who repeatedly booed Kane are morons. Way to treat the hometown kid.

Maybe the "hometown kid" shouldn't mug cabbies for 20 cents and he wouldn't get booed. As much as his presence in the NHL is a source of pride for the region his despicable actions over the summer were of a even greater embarrassment. If fans pay their money to buy a ticket and they decide to let him know how much he embarrassed himself and the region, so be it. It's doesn't make them wrong and certainly not "morons." Much like those Bills fans who want nothing to do with James Hardy or Lynch.

Well, that was a very nice win. My game notes:

1. Kane was the best forward on the ice tonight.

2. But Lalime was the best player! Holy mackarel.

3. Very strong game by Rivet.

4. Pommer's giveaway led directly to Chicago's goal, and he had another awful one later in the 3rd.

5. Speaking of disappointing forwards, TC was invisible again.

6. Very good team defense tonight.

7. The Sabres looked overwhelmed for the first 7-8 minutes, but found their game and played even or better with Chicago for the rest of the 1st and most of the 2nd.

8. Sekera quietly is playing very well and working his way up in ice time. He had the 3rd-most tonight among the D. Myers of course was #1 again.

9. Kennedy made a great play on Mac's goal -- absorbed a big hit while keeping the puck in the offensive zone that knocked him down, he got back up quickly to keep it in again, controlled it and made a nice look-away pass into the crease.

10. Miller will be pretty fired up tomorrow night after losing to Lundy last time around and getting last night off.

Go Sabres. Good work boys.

Lalime had a good game. He has had good games in the past. I just hope this front office isn't stupid enough to risk this teams playoff chances by keeping Lalime as the #2.

Also,

I have a huge problem with "6. Very good team defense tonight." I know we usually have different definitions of things. I just don't know of any definition of "Very good team defense." that includes giving up 40 shots.

I have a huge problem with "6. Very good team defense tonight." I know we usually have different definitions of things. I just don't know of any definition of "Very good team defense." that includes giving up 40 shots.

Well, I thought after the first 7-8 minutes, the Sabres limited the Hawks to very few dangerous scoring chances. They kept Chicago, a very dangerous offensive team, to the perimeter.

Well, I thought after the first 7-8 minutes, the Sabres limited the Hawks to very few dangerous scoring chances. They kept Chicago, a very dangerous offensive team, to the perimeter.

I tivo'd through a lot of the first two periods. I thought in the third, which I was able to see in real time, they did too much chasing and had real problems getting the puck out of the zone. I thought Lalime was solid on the pucks that got through. Most times when he plays it looks like he stopping boulders instead of hockey pucks, very little control after the initial shot. If he could do what he did last night a half a dozen times a year he would be a acceptable backup. I also thought that a great deal of Chicago's best scoring chances went off the glass either my a deflection or just a bad shot. Overall this goes up there with the Calgary, Detroit and Washington victories as a "quality victory." They were able to beat a really good team without there best. That is a really positive sign for a team seems to be trending as it has the past few seasons.

Archived