It Is Painfully Obvious

CallawaySabres

Besides Miller, there is not one player on this team that can turn the tide of a game that is not going their way. Bottom line, if Miller is slightly off, they lose. This is a very black/white problem with no answer currently on the roster.

And there won't be any answer.

This team has no game changers.

If they hope to win, they need to dig deep, work hard, play as a team and hope their coaching staff is providing them with the right strategy to win.

Very few teams in this league have "game changers".

And there won't be any answer.

This team has no game changers.

If they hope to win, they need to dig deep, work hard, play as a team and hope their coaching staff is providing them with the right strategy to win.

Very few teams in this league have "game changers".

Pittsburgh has a couple.

Washington has a couple.

The Flyers have a couple in Richards and Carter.

The Rangers have Gaborick.

Atlanta has Kolvachuk.

Tampa has Vinny and St.Louis - even though both appear to be on the down side.

Ottawa has Spezza and Alfredsson.

That's seven teams in the East alone that have game changing type players.

The problem with THIS team not having a game changer is that they are such babies that without people like Grier and Gaustad, they resort back to their old ways. How can this group call themselves professional when they take complete nights off. I expect these pansies to disappear after back to back nights but last night was unacceptable AGAIN.

The problem with THIS team not having a game changer is that they are such babies that without people like Grier and Gaustad, they resort back to their old ways. How can this group call themselves professional when they take complete nights off. I expect these pansies to disappear after back to back nights but last night was unacceptable AGAIN.

This concept of the Grier and Gaustad effect is starting grow like the Legend of Tim Connolly. This team was winning games early for two reasons. #1 a soft and light schedule. #2 Ryan Miller. To somehow try to credit anyone else with the Sabre quick start is a insult to Miller. Grier and Gaustad are nice fourth line players that every team needs. That said , they are not having anywhere near the impact on this team as people want to make out. It's a lot like what people were trying sell about Rivet last season. In the end Rivet had zero effect on this team last season.

The brat pack needs to be broken up for good.

At least two, preferrably three of the following needs a change of scenery or rather just need to get shipped out somewhere other than here :

Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, MacArthur, Connolly.

I'm willing to give Vanek the benefit of the doubt on most nights, but I've had it with Roy and Pominville.

Unloading MacArthur or Stafford likely wouldn't mean squat, other than perhaps wake up the "core guys", i.e. The Sausage Grabbing Marys.

This concept of the Grier and Gaustad effect is starting grow like the Legend of Tim Connolly. This team was winning games early for two reasons. #1 a soft and light schedule. #2 Ryan Miller. To somehow try to credit anyone else with the Sabre quick start is a insult to Miller. Grier and Gaustad are nice fourth line players that every team needs. That said , they are not having anywhere near the impact on this team as people want to make out. It's a lot like what people were trying sell about Rivet last season. In the end Rivet had zero effect on this team last season.

They may not win more with Grier and Gaustad but they sure as hell don't take as many nights off with them in the lineup

Looking at some numbers it appears the loss of Grier is much worse than losing Goose in the win column.

Winning percentage with Grier playing : 67% 14 of 21

Winning percentage with Grier NOT playing : 33% 2 of 6

Win percentage with Goose in: 60% 12 of 20

Win percentage with Goose OUT: 57% 4 of 7

Besides Miller, there is not one player on this team that can turn the tide of a game that is not going their way. Bottom line, if Miller is slightly off, they lose. This is a very black/white problem with no answer currently on the roster.

The only thing we can take away from this is that in 99 we were a Brett Hull no goal away from possibly forcing a game 7 in the Stanley cup finals. What 'game changers' did we have then and we still made it to the finals. I still feel we have a strong group of defensemen that will help us as the season progresses. In fact, I believe (if my memory serves me correct as I'm too lazy to look it up) the Sabres finished in 6th place after the regular season that year. Ya I get it, I'm disapointed the team seems to be streaky but with a healthy Miller this team will make the playoffs and that's when the real season begins....

Looking at some numbers it appears the loss of Grier is much worse than losing Goose in the win column.

I'm not surprised by that information.

The brat pack needs to be broken up for good.

At least two, preferrably three of the following needs a change of scenery or rather just need to get shipped out somewhere other than here :

Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, MacArthur, Connolly.

I'm willing to give Vanek the benefit of the doubt on most nights, but I've had it with Roy and Pominville.

Unloading MacArthur or Stafford likely wouldn't mean squat, other than perhaps wake up the "core guys", i.e. The Sausage Grabbing Marys.

I wouldnt at all be opposed to any deal where we moved Roy, Pominville, Stafford or Vanek for a REAL CENTER or Two....Roy is a wannabe center who is best suited as a 2nd at best line center. Vanek could fetch a nice return with a combo trade of any of the aforementioned....

The only thing we can take away from this is that in 99 we were a Brett Hull no goal away from possibly forcing a game 7 in the Stanley cup finals. What 'game changers' did we have then and we still made it to the finals. I still feel we have a strong group of defensemen that will help us as the season progresses. In fact, I believe (if my memory serves me correct as I'm too lazy to look it up) the Sabres finished in 6th place after the regular season that year. Ya I get it, I'm disapointed the team seems to be streaky but with a healthy Miller this team will make the playoffs and that's when the real season begins....

I thought it was seventh... Yep. Lowest goals against in the league, 3rd lowest goals for of playoff teams, tied with Boston for 6th in points in the east but lost the tiebreaker.

How much of those numbers overlap though?

Totally agree. Our best player in Thomas Vanek and his style of play isn't like most game changers. He's a great player when our team is playing well around him but when his linemates are not, he's almost nothing.

The Sabres need to offer Chicago a crazy offer and bring Patrick Sharp over here. He's very good on the PP, very good goal scorer, clutch and plays well both ends of the ice. He's a Lindy Ruff type player. Not sure what it will take but it does seem like Sharp is the odd-man out in Chicago and he's been rumored to Toronto.

Yeah but what GM in his right mind would want him and that contract? :(

Bullseye. We are married to Pommer for the next few years.

The Sabres need to offer Chicago a crazy offer and bring Patrick Sharp over here. He's very good on the PP, very good goal scorer, clutch and plays well both ends of the ice. He's a Lindy Ruff type player. Not sure what it will take but it does seem like Sharp is the odd-man out in Chicago and he's been rumored to Toronto.

Chicago needs to dump salary, which means they can only take picks and/or prospects.

Totally agree. Our best player in Thomas Vanek and his style of play isn't like most game changers. He's a great player when our team is playing well around him but when his linemates are not, he's almost nothing.

Would love Patrick Sharp here. More so than picking Ray Whitney up out of Carolina.

Sharp would fix our problem at center.

And yes, Chicago would deal him. They need to deal him before the deadline; there's simply no room to accommodate him under the cap. Not sure what Chicago would want in return. They'd want picks and prospects I'd assume. They cant eat any more salary. Their goalie depth is quite weak; perhaps Enroth, another prospect and a pick could land Sharp?

Bullseye. We are married to Pommer for the next few years.

Chicago needs to dump salary, which means they can only take picks and/or prospects.

I'd offer them a similar deal to what Toronto dealt to Boston for Kessel. Two firsts and a second, although, i'd make the 2nd in 2011 instead of next years draft.

Would love Patrick Sharp here. More so than picking Ray Whitney up out of Carolina.

Sharp would fix our problem at center.

And yes, Chicago would deal him. They need to deal him before the deadline; there's simply no room to accommodate him under the cap. Not sure what Chicago would want in return. They'd want picks and prospects I'd assume. They cant eat any more salary. Their goalie depth is quite weak; perhaps Enroth, another prospect and a pick could land Sharp?

I'd give em Enroth, Gerbe and a 2nd.

We should have traded Roy during the offseason... I thought his trade value would have been pretty high then. Might still be...

Nah... even for the trouble he is, we'd never get fair value back. Roy is just under a point/per game player and makes $4 million on average cap hit. Still, one of the better deals in the NHL. To trade him, you're trying to improve the roster and anyone with his numbers will be making much more bank.

Archived