The Chart

carpandean

I'm hooked on these charts. Carp, you either have WAY too much time on your hands or you are one passionate hockey fan. My money is on the latter! Thanks for putting in the time and effort. Much appreciated.

Definitely the latter. One could argue that I spend WAY more than my actual free time, though.

Carp, since you have nothing but free time, here's a suggestion that should take care of that problem. In the chart where you use the Sabre logo as each data point, you should mix that up a bit. Each win should use the crossing swords logo and each loss should be represented by the slug. I'm not sure what you could use for an OTL, maybe the B with the dagger through it.

For those keeping count, it's likely that the 8th seed this year won't break 90 points...if we could have only traded this year's 2nd/3rd place with one of the previous 2 years we would have been in the playoffs 2 of 3 years instead of 1 of 3 :blink:

Carp, since you have nothing but free time, here's a suggestion that should take care of that problem. In the chart where you use the Sabre logo as each data point, you should mix that up a bit. Each win should use the crossing swords logo and each loss should be represented by the slug. I'm not sure what you could use for an OTL, maybe the B with the dagger through it.

Uh, yeah, not happening.

For those keeping count, it's likely that the 8th seed this year won't break 90 points...if we could have only traded this year's 2nd/3rd place with one of the previous 2 years we would have been in the playoffs 2 of 3 years instead of 1 of 3 :blink:

Anyone beyond 5th will be lucky to break 90. Currently, three teams can hit 92 max, one can hit 90 max and one can hit 88 max. I'd be surprised if even one of those first three team doesn't give up three points.

With the possibilities being BOS, PHI, or MON, why single out BOS? Their recent trend seems to match MON's quite closely.

Boston has been moving sideways for a while, but they spent a good part of the season at higher levels than this. When they start moving one way...they can get on a roll. It will most likely be higher.

Montreal looks bad. They are just on a slow, steady decline. Typical losers in 6 games...maybe even 5.

Philly is too jumbled for me to see but they were cold a month ago and just sort of bounce around. If I could see better I might have more to say.

The Sabres again look like a good team, almost the opposite of Montreal, who got in over their heads and went on a big run early in the year. Their chart channels perfectly if you eliminate that big streak up and big streak down. Very similar to '06-'07.....but not as good of a team with a lower slope.

It was my pleasure (as sick and twisted as that may be.) The final charts are up and here are two "year in review" charts (W/L/OL and Rank):

So they spent the entire year in playoff position. Cool. According to your chart, only one other EC team can boast that, and it's not Washington.

Archived