GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:00pm

not much to say about this game, but they better at least put forth an effort. I am hoping for a win, but i wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up watching a stinker tonight. Since it is Halloween, I'll leave this thread with a Go Sabres and a...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uV9xIzzcHg

Part of me really wants to get greedy and say they should play Miller because of the flu bug and they will need him ... but then I look at next weekend and think I'd rather Lalime play the Isles now so that Miller plays both against Philly and Boston.

No predicton on a score, like I said last night, I'm quitting while I am ahead ... but it's going to be boring either way.

I have a feeling that the team is bracing itself for a let down. Ruff's comments in the snooze combined w/ my uncanny knack for reading the ebb and flow of this team has me prepared to say 2 outta 4 ain't bad.

Lindy also has an uncanny knack for presaging these things. Then, magically, they tend to happen.

I demand a win tonight. The Islanders are going to finish (again) in the bottom 3-4 teams in the league. They also played and OT game last night and traveled. This is a juicy, 2-point piece of low-hanging fruit. If the Sabres want to be an upper-echelon team, they can't leave points on the table. And I don't want to hear about Lalime as an excuse for not winning. Lalime is good enough for them to win this game. They need to be able to get wins with their backup.

But they look well-coached, right?

So far so good. But Ruff's system — however you want to define it — will be methodically picked apart as the season goes on. I've had that feeling in a few recent games. You don't think whatever the Leafs did last night won't make its way around the league? Ruff's system is just like Tyler Myers' game. Ruff said as teams start to game-plan for the previously unknown commodity, it'll be tougher for him. The coach will face the same challenge. He's going to have to have a reply.

By the way, there's plenty of room for the coaches to improve this team. The Sabres' power play has been iffy, and the penalty killers just a bit above average.

One thing I've liked is the discipline. Sabres have to be near the bottom of the league in times shorthanded.

So far so good. But Ruff's system — however you want to define it — will be methodically picked apart as the season goes on. I've had that feeling in a few recent games. You don't think whatever the Leafs did last night won't make its way around the league? Ruff's system is just like Tyler Myers' game. Ruff said as teams start to game-plan for the previously unknown commodity, it'll be tougher for him. The coach will face the same challenge. He's going to have to have a reply.

By the way, there's plenty of room for the coaches to improve this team. The Sabres' power play has been iffy, and the penalty killers just a bit above average.

One thing I've liked is the discipline. Sabres have to be near the bottom of the league in times shorthanded.

Good post.. Highlighted for agreement.

The 05-06 team Lindy seemed to make all the right moves, when to sit someone, when to bring someone up, when to break up/recombine lines... over the course of a 82 game season that will be needed again... The area's I have started to see is the system with the puck passing has gotten to the point of one pass too many especially at the opposing blue line or setting up behind the other teams blue line... First those passes across ice at the blue line are cardiac killers(e.g. blocked pass breakaway the other way waiting to happen) instead of getting it deep.. and the other is the one pass/too cute too many instead of a shot on the net and drive the net(especially vanek/roy )

Those are area's I agree improvement is defintely needed. Only thing for me is, how do I know coaches aren't coaching some of that and the player's just are not following/executing....

Part of me really wants to get greedy and say they should play Miller because of the flu bug and they will need him ... but then I look at next weekend and think I'd rather Lalime play the Isles now so that Miller plays both against Philly and Boston.

No predicton on a score, like I said last night, I'm quitting while I am ahead ... but it's going to be boring either way.

Miller Should have no issue with playing through to the end of November. They play three games a week. A "elite" goalie should be able to handle three games a week. Lalime's next start should be against the Leafs Nov. 30th. When December rolls around and the schedule is more condensed they should play Lalime a little more. There is no need to do it now.

Miller Should have no issue with playing through to the end of November. They play three games a week. A "elite" goalie should be able to handle three games a week. Lalime's next start should be against the Leafs Nov. 30th. When December rolls around and the schedule is more condensed they should play Lalime a little more. There is no need to do it now.

Kind of an interesting issue. I guess only an NHL goalie could give a valid opinion as to when it's best to get that time off.

Personally, I'd love to see Miller earn that Olympic spot, then say no thanks, I'll take the rest. Team over country.

Hmmm...it bucks all conventional wisdom, and yet I have to admit this makes perfect sense. Instead of playing Lalime every 6 games just for the sake of "getting him in there", staple his ass to the bench now and then let him play every third game when the schedule gets denser. He could still play just as many total games, but he would not be so rusty each time (thereby increasing his chances of earning W's), and we can continue to ride Miller right now and gobble up points like Pacman.

Archived