GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

His trade value must be getting bigger and bigger by the day. Not sure if anyone noticed that or not but that stood out to me.

I said somewhere we need to trade Tallinder now while he's hot.

That was me! :D

Come the trade deadline, do we hold on to him or ship him off with the future in mind? In his current form I can imagine quite a few teams will want him..

Then trade the remaining old D man at the deadline.

You guys realize the only way they are going to move any D man is if someone else, outside of Butler and Myers, steps up sometime this year (like Weber or Gragnani :rolleyes: ). They aren't going to risk having 6 capable healthy D, especially given how Sekera has played to date. NHL caliber defenseman don't grow on trees and I wouldn't be clamoring to unload any of them.

You guys realize the only way they are going to move any D man is if someone else, outside of Butler and Myers, steps up sometime this year (like Weber or Gragnani :rolleyes: ). They aren't going to risk having 6 capable healthy D, especially given how Sekera has played to date. NHL caliber defenseman don't grow on trees and I wouldn't be clamoring to unload any of them.

Good post. And might I add that one or two will be hurt (knock on wood) so we'll need all of them. Plus, they can afford to keep him. So unless you guarantee me they all stay healthy or you can trade him at the deadline because we're in the hunt for a great center with a few years on his contract at less than 3.5 million...

Saw the third, but missed the first and second. So, basically, I missed the whole game. Overall, I'm impressed. Absolutely wow! Looks like the Sabres totally dominated the class of the NHL. One thing you can say is that the performances have been really consistent by the Sabres with 35+ shots on goal and only giving up in the low 20s in shots. It was good to see that pucks were going in the net tonight. Lindy was right, the goals will come if you continue playing the same style of game consistently.

One point of concern is Vanek. Look like he had a big game tonight with 2 goals, but got hurt. Hope it's not too serious, but the announcers on Vs. said it did not seem to be a big deal.

On a separate note, I think Clarke MacArthur has found a home in Buffalo and has really found a role with the Sabres. I've been really impressed with his play over the start of the season and he's been consistently getting on the scoresheet. He had a really good end to the season last year, and it looks like he's picked up where he left off and is proving that he is a legitimate top 6 forward on this team. I like how he also plays a very good two way game and is sound defensively.

By the way, as some people on this board like to use +/- as a good proxy for defensive ability, Henrik Tallinder was a +5 tonight and was on the ice for all five even strength goals. Not sure what this means as I saw him give the puck directly to Darren Helm in the third period from behind the net as he was trying to get the puck up ice, but Miller bailed him out. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Aside from that comment, though, I do think Tallinder is playing with a lot more confidence this year, and on the whole looks markedly better than where he has been the last two years, but that's not saying much.

Contract year.

Just stating a fact.

But that's the thing. If Darcy was looking to off-load Hank with no avail, then he should trade him if a respectable offer comes. We will have 6 healthy d-men once Sekera returns, assuming of course Myers stays, which i think at this point is a given. They will still have Paetsch available and Weber and DiPenta in Portland. They could also land a cheap serviceable d-men at the deadline.

Keeping Hank or Lydman could keep this team hostage from adding anything Lindy thinks they need before the deadline.

Personally i'd try to deal Hank to Dallas who's looking for a d-men who can move the puck a bit and would offer Fabian Brunnstrom. Brunnstrom is a hard worker and a scoring machine from the Swedish league, although his he has yet to become consistent scorer in the NHL level. Doesn't make much money and scored 17 goals last year in 55 games in his first year in the States. I hope the Vanek injury scare wakes Darcy up. When Mair returns, i'd play him, risk losing Ellis by sending him down and sit Brunnstrom until we need him and let him practice in Ruff's system.

But that's the thing. If Darcy was looking to off-load Hank with no avail, then he should trade him if a respectable offer comes. We will have 6 healthy d-men once Sekera returns, assuming of course Myers stays, which i think at this point is a given. They will still have Paetsch available and Weber and DiPenta in Portland. They could also land a cheap serviceable d-men at the deadline.

Keeping Hank or Lydman could keep this team hostage from adding anything Lindy thinks they need before the deadline.

Personally i'd try to deal Hank to Dallas who's looking for a d-men who can move the puck a bit and would offer Fabian Brunnstrom. Brunnstrom is a hard worker and a scoring machine from the Swedish league, although his he has yet to become consistent scorer in the NHL level. Doesn't make much money and scored 17 goals last year in 55 games in his first year in the States. I hope the Vanek injury scare wakes Darcy up. When Mair returns, i'd play him, risk losing Ellis by sending him down and sit Brunnstrom until we need him and let him practice in Ruff's system.

Two things ... "Keeping Hank or Lydman could keep this team hostage from adding anything Lindy thinks they need before the deadline. " is not necessarily true ... those guys are the perfect rental defensemen for a team that is looking for depth for the playoffs or a team that wants to clear cap space for next season ... For instance, If Nashville is out of the race and wants to get Arnott's $4.5 million off next season's books, at the deadline they might be willing to take on Tallinder's $3.5 million because they already budgeted for Arnott ... so they save money this season and have $4.5 million more to work with next season. (not saying Buffalo would want/need Arnott OR that Nashville woudl trade its captain ... just using the numbers and terms to illustrate) ... So those guys are EASIER to deal at the deadline because the Sabres will have paid most of their salaries this season.

Also, how do we know Dallas would offer Brunnstrom? He makes less than a million bucks, is only 24 and is restricted after this season ... wouldn't it be better for them to see if he develops more this season and worst-case take the draft pick compensation if he goes elsewhere rather than take on more than $3 million in salary for a rental?

Wait, up until this last game, the consensus was that Tallinder was pretty much expendable, and that Sekera has the skillz.

You're all so fickle.

I don't know...I've really liked Sekera's game in the past, but he hasn't been skating or passing particulary well yet.

Tallinder is naturally going to look a lot better if he never has to go to his backhand with a righty on his pairing.

Myers is just a good compliment for him.

Tallinder still takes way too many hits.

Two things ... "Keeping Hank or Lydman could keep this team hostage from adding anything Lindy thinks they need before the deadline. " is not necessarily true ... those guys are the perfect rental defensemen for a team that is looking for depth for the playoffs or a team that wants to clear cap space for next season ... For instance, If Nashville is out of the race and wants to get Arnott's $4.5 million off next season's books, at the deadline they might be willing to take on Tallinder's $3.5 million because they already budgeted for Arnott ... so they save money this season and have $4.5 million more to work with next season. (not saying Buffalo would want/need Arnott OR that Nashville woudl trade its captain ... just using the numbers and terms to illustrate) ... So those guys are EASIER to deal at the deadline because the Sabres will have paid most of their salaries this season.

That is true. I guess if you wait til the deadline though, it might be a bit tougher to deal Hank away and then send picks for the guy we want but it is possible you're right.

Also, how do we know Dallas would offer Brunnstrom? He makes less than a million bucks, is only 24 and is restricted after this season ... wouldn't it be better for them to see if he develops more this season and worst-case take the draft pick compensation if he goes elsewhere rather than take on more than $3 million in salary for a rental?

From Edmonton Journal-

The Stars are definitely looking for a high-end puck-moving defenceman who can play the point on the power play, but they apparently won't trade winger James Neal or Loui Eriksson to get one. Fabian Brunnstrom could be had, however.

Link- http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Matheson+Hockey+World/2091880/story.html

While i realize Hank isn't the kind of d-men they are looking for, but if they can't find the perfect guy, they may settle for something less. But if they are looking for the elite PP QB, i doubt Brunnstrom would make it happen by himself, so that's why i think he could be had in a separate deal.

That is true. I guess if you wait til the deadline though, it might be a bit tougher to deal Hank away and then send picks for the guy we want but it is possible you're right.

From Edmonton Journal-

Link- http://www.edmontonj...1880/story.html

While i realize Hank isn't the kind of d-men they are looking for, but if they can't find the perfect guy, they may settle for something less. But if they are looking for the elite PP QB, i doubt Brunnstrom would make it happen by himself, so that's why i think he could be had in a separate deal.

I hear ya, Brunnstrom is an interesting guy ... I just gotta believe that that if they can't get an "elite" guy they would at least get one who plays the PP, first of all (Hank is averaging 35 seconds of PP time per game) and also one who is not a UFA after the season.

Two months ago, Tallinder was regarded around here as the worst dman on the Sabres and should be shown the door at any cost.

I hear ya, Brunnstrom is an interesting guy ... I just gotta believe that that if they can't get an "elite" guy they would at least get one who plays the PP, first of all (Hank is averaging 35 seconds of PP time per game) and also one who is not a UFA after the season.

Yeah, you're right. It's probably almost impossible for us to get him for Hank, but it was just an idea... but my entire point was to get a guy who has some what of a possibility to play and score few goals as a insurance instead of having 2 4th liners in the press box. I just used Brunnstrom as an example because i saw that article and knew he is on the cheap side.

Good post. And might I add that one or two will be hurt (knock on wood) so we'll need all of them. Plus, they can afford to keep him. So unless you guarantee me they all stay healthy or you can trade him at the deadline because we're in the hunt for a great center with a few years on his contract at less than 3.5 million...

Ok. So when the team is healthy, whom do you want to be placed on waivers / sent to AHL / sent to Kelowna / traded? There's only so much room, and I'm not implying that Tallinder should be the one to leave, but, well, someone will have to. Whom do you propose?

Ok. So when the team is healthy, whom do you want to be placed on waivers / sent to AHL / sent to Kelowna / traded? There's only so much room, and I'm not implying that Tallinder should be the one to leave, but, well, someone will have to. Whom do you propose?

Does Sabretooth count? They could send him somewhere - maybe the McDonald's on Main.

I don't know...I've really liked Sekera's game in the past, but he hasn't been skating or passing particulary well yet.

Tallinder is naturally going to look a lot better if he never has to go to his backhand with a righty on his pairing.

Myers is just a good compliment for him.

Tallinder still takes way too many hits.

Great point.

Two months ago, Tallinder was regarded around here as the worst dman on the Sabres and should be shown the door at any cost.

Nature of the boards. Someone has to be the whipping boy.. If Tallinder continues his play the angry crowd will turn on Pominville? Lydman? Vanek? next...

Great point.

Nature of the boards. Someone has to be the whipping boy.. If Tallinder continues his play the angry crowd will turn on Pominville? Lydman? Vanek? next...

That's my vote. Dude hasn't done squat in 3 years, and somehow earned a mega contract in the middle of his gigantic "slump". 1 good year (and boyish looks, puckbunnies) does not make a superstar.

I wouldn't put the cart before the horse. Depth is never a bad problem. Especially considering how injured this team has a tendency to get. I'd much rather go to the well of healthy scratches than reach down in Portland for a guy. I'll wait and see for this team to ever be fully healthy. I'm not sure such a scenario has ever existed with this team, and if it might, it likely will be after the trade deadline when there is no roster limit. That's probably when this team will be fully healthy, but I'm not counting on it being anytime soon.

That's my vote. Dude hasn't done squat in 3 years, and somehow earned a mega contract in the middle of his gigantic "slump". 1 good year (and boyish looks, puckbunnies) does not make a superstar.

Hasn't done squat? 81 goals and 214 points in 3 years, has played in all 82 games each of those years and is pretty good on the PK and in his own end. His offensive numbers have gone down the last two years and he isn't the most physical player on the team, but IMO he is far from whipping boy status.

Have you seen the 3-4 mil contracts some players around the league are getting for a lot less production than what the Sabres are getting from Pominville?

I'd trade Tallinder to St Louis for Backes. He's a UFA after the 2010/ 2011 season, currently getting 2.5 million. St Louis, assuming they're in the hunt could use another D-man like Tallinder and we could use a bigger C/RW guy like Backes. I'd even throw in Paille at that point assuming he's not producing. That way St Louis would have a rental tallinder they could sign if they wanted and a RFA like Paille.

I'd trade Tallinder to St Louis for Backes. He's a UFA after the 2010/ 2011 season, currently getting 2.5 million. St Louis, assuming they're in the hunt could use another D-man like Tallinder and we could use a bigger C/RW guy like Backes. I'd even throw in Paille at that point assuming he's not producing. That way St Louis would have a rental tallinder they could sign if they wanted and a RFA like Paille.

Safe assumption. All right, chz, get it done.

Hasn't done squat? 81 goals and 214 points in 3 years, has played in all 82 games each of those years and is pretty good on the PK and in his own end. His offensive numbers have gone down the last two years and he isn't the most physical player on the team, but IMO he is far from whipping boy status.

Have you seen the 3-4 mil contracts some players around the league are getting for a lot less production than what the Sabres are getting from Pominville?

I agree that "hasn't done squat" is an exaggeration. Pommer is a nice player. However, his start this year, as well as the 3-year trend, points to expected production of something like 20-42-62. That's a $3.3MM player, not a $5.3MM player, which is what he's making this year and for FOUR more after this one.

When you overpay guys like Pommer, Hecht and Tallinder by $2MM each -- pretty soon that's $6MM you've wasted and now you can't afford to keep Soupy or bring in a quality FA or 2.

Archived