Buffalo sends down Weber and Gerbe!!!

SabresBillsFan

Gerbe's comments from the Buffalo News blog...

"You feel more comfortable and you start playing more like yourself but again there's no room on the roster. I've got to go to Portland, work hard and force something. I feel so much better to leave on a good note. I thought I did all I could."

"I think I'm right there. I felt pretty good the last few games. Once you feel good and get that confidence, you feel you can play with anyway. That's kind of how I was feeling."

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Gerbe's comments from the Buffalo News blog...

"You feel more comfortable and you start playing more like yourself but again there's no room on the roster. I've got to go to Portland, work hard and force something. I feel so much better to leave on a good note. I thought I did all I could."

"I think I'm right there. I felt pretty good the last few games. Once you feel good and get that confidence, you feel you can play with anyway. That's kind of how I was feeling."

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Positive attitide. That is just the ticket that will get him back up sooner than later.

Positive attitide. That is just the ticket that will get him back up sooner than later.

These guys know exactly what situation they're in at camp. Only the true fool is going to pull the Kostitsyn move that VM posted. You have to believe that Gerbe knew it was an uphill battle to make this roster and everything he did in camp was done just as much to impress for the future as it was for the present.

If I'm reading his status correctly from what spndnchz posted, he's being paid, he counts against the cap, but he does not count against the 23 man roster limit.

His case is a bit different than Teppo. Teppo didn't pass his physical and was suspended for it because his contract wasn't insured. I haven't heard that Mair is/was suspended so I'd guess that his contract is being paid, but the insurance is covering it.

Can someone tell me why Myers can only play for the Sabres or Minor league Rockets?? Why the heck can't he go to Portland, cause of his age? I'm sure its been said on one of these threads, but I would just like to know. I didn't want to start a new thread on this. Why is he ineligible for Portland?

I like Kennedy on the roster too. Good choice.

Thanks guys!

Can someone tell me why Myers can only play for the Sabres or Minor league Rockets?? Why the heck can't he go to Portland, cause of his age? I'm sure its been said on one of these threads, but I would just like to know. I didn't want to start a new thread on this. Why is he ineligible for Portland?

I like Kennedy on the roster too. Good choice.

Thanks guys!

He is still only 19 years old and won't turn 20 until February 1, 2010, so he won't be eligible to play in the AHL at the beginning of next season. He still has one year of junior eligibility remaining, so sending him back to Kelowna is always an option. He will likely play in the NHL for the first nine games this year.

Once a player with junior eligibility plays ten games in the NHL, a year expires off of his contract, which would then make him eligible for restricted free agency sooner.

He is still only 19 years old and won't turn 20 until February 1, 2010, so he won't be eligible to play in the AHL at the beginning of next season. He still has one year of junior eligibility remaining, so sending him back to Kelowna is always an option. He will likely play in the NHL for the first nine games this year.

Once a player with junior eligibility plays ten games in the NHL, a year expires off of his contract, which would then make him eligible for restricted free agency sooner.

Thanks spndnchz for clearing this up. I finally understand this now. "And knowing is half the battle".

Cheers!

His case is a bit different than Teppo. Teppo didn't pass his physical and was suspended for it because his contract wasn't insured. I haven't heard that Mair is/was suspended so I'd guess that his contract is being paid, but the insurance is covering it.

Additionally, Teppo's issue was non-hockey related. I'd assume the hip surgery is hockey related and as Mair was already under contract, he is getting paid.

Additionally, Teppo's issue was non-hockey related. I'd assume the hip surgery is hockey related and as Mair was already under contract, he is getting paid.

According to what they said with Teppo, the contract does not take effect until a player passes a standard physical. As such, I don't believe that Mair gets paid till he passes a physical. It is why all contracts are written as a series of 1 year contracts.

The Sabres have traditionally taken full advantage of their rights so I would be surprised to hear that Mair is getting paid through his contract although it is likely he qualifies for some insurance payment/ coverage as it is hockey and work related.

According to what they said with Teppo, the contract does not take effect until a player passes a standard physical. As such, I don't believe that Mair gets paid till he passes a physical. It is why all contracts are written as a series of 1 year contracts.

The Sabres have traditionally taken full advantage of their rights so I would be surprised to hear that Mair is getting paid through his contract although it is likely he qualifies for some insurance payment/ coverage as it is hockey and work related.

The timing with Mair makes me wonder if there is a question of whether or not it is hockey related. I haven't really read up on the whole Mair situation, so I don't know exactly how this breaks down and what his specific roster status is.

The timing with Mair makes me wonder if there is a question of whether or not it is hockey related. I haven't really read up on the whole Mair situation, so I don't know exactly how this breaks down and what his specific roster status is.

Not sure why it was such a secret, but on another message board, someone reported they had spoken to Mair at some golf charity and that he had gotten injured and Mair at that time told the person he was unlikely for the opening of the season. It was like a month later that Regier announced it officially.

Not sure why it was such a secret, but on another message board, someone reported they had spoken to Mair at some golf charity and that he had gotten injured and Mair at that time told the person he was unlikely for the opening of the season. It was like a month later that Regier announced it officially.

From what I remember, it was an injury from last year that he had been trying to fix by rehabbing without surgery, but eventually it was deemed that it couldn't be fixed in that manner so they decided to have him get surgery.

I feel for Gerbe because I think he deserves to stay and Management being what it is doesn't want to move a mediocre player to give him a permanent spot on the Sabres. Gerbe shouldn't be down because he will be back when injuries occur and you know that's only a matter of time with this team. Plus I think Mancari will get one last shot as well.

I feel for Gerbe because I think he deserves to stay and Management being what it is doesn't want to move a mediocre player to give him a permanent spot on the Sabres. Gerbe shouldn't be down because he will be back when injuries occur and you know that's only a matter of time with this team. Plus I think Mancari will get one last shot as well.

You think Gerbe is an upgrade over any of the current top 6 forwards? There's just no way he makes us a better team by keeping him and trading MacArthur or Stafford.

Plus I think Mancari will get one last shot as well.

I don't think Mancari endeared himself to the coaches and management at all by holding out. It wouldn't surprise me if Gerbe, Ennis, Gogulla & McCormick were all ahead of him in terms of injury call-ups. I think DR wanted him in Portland for veteran scoring and they will part ways as soon as Mancari is a UFA(next year?).

I don't think Mancari endeared himself to the coaches and management at all by holding out. It wouldn't surprise me if Gerbe, Ennis, Gogulla & McCormick were all ahead of him in terms of injury call-ups. I think DR wanted him in Portland for veteran scoring and they will part ways as soon as Mancari is a UFA(next year?).

Agreed. Mancari just lacks way too much to make it in the NHL but he can still be very helpful in the AHL.

It's been a while since I looked closely at the CBA, but I'd be very surprised if he ISN'T receiving his paycheck. The NHL isn't set up like the NFL where players can be cut due to injury. (Note: just went back and checked Section 23.4 - the player gets ALL his contracted money if he suffers a career ending injury. Plus he can qualify for an additional disability payment.)

According to NHL numbers, Mair signed his contract before last season. If he's cut healthy, he'll get 2/3rds of his money. If he's cut injured, he'll get it all. As he wasn't cut, he should still be getting paid. I don't see how he wouldn't be. Now, the Sabres may have the contract insured, but regardless of where the money comes from Adam will get his dough.

EDIT: Also, strictly as a matter of clarification, SPC's are NOT written as a series of 1 year contracts. They are written to cover x # of league years at the time they are written.

The line for UFA status is 7 years or 27 years old. This is year 5 for Mancari. I'm too lazy to look up his birthday, but I know he's not there yet. He should have two season left before he's unrestricted, as long as the Sabres make a qualifying offer.

It's been a while since I looked closely at the CBA, but I'd be very surprised if he ISN'T receiving his paycheck. The NHL isn't set up like the NFL where players can be cut due to injury. (Note: just went back and checked Section 23.4 - the player gets ALL his contracted money if he suffers a career ending injury. Plus he can qualify for an additional disability payment.)

According to NHL numbers, Mair signed his contract before last season. If he's cut healthy, he'll get 2/3rds of his money. If he's cut injured, he'll get it all. As he wasn't cut, he should still be getting paid. I don't see how he wouldn't be. Now, the Sabres may have the contract insured, but regardless of where the money comes from Adam will get his dough.

EDIT: Also, strictly as a matter of clarification, SPC's are NOT written as a series of 1 year contracts. They are written to cover x # of league years at the time they are written.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of the NFL.

I don't know much in life but I do know Myers will be playing in Buffalo for the whole yr barring injury or a major meltdown of epic proportions

The Sabre Mngmt love him

The line for UFA status is 7 years or 27 years old. This is year 5 for Mancari. I'm too lazy to look up his birthday, but I know he's not there yet. He should have two season left before he's unrestricted, as long as the Sabres make a qualifying offer.

If he has one more year after this one as an RFA and the Sabres have no plans for him, I would cut him loose after this season. I could see keeping him around this year as there is not a lot of experience(especially vets that can score) in Portland.

I don't know much in life but I do know Myers will be playing in Buffalo for the whole yr barring injury or a major meltdown of epic proportions

The Sabre Mngmt love him

Love to see it, especially if it nails Hank's ass to the bench (and eventually traded).

Archived