Buffalo sends down Weber and Gerbe!!!

SabresBillsFan

I seen it on the Buffalo news website that the sabres officially announced Weber and Gerbe getting sent back down to Portland. Weber was a no brainer he didn't look NHL ready at all. I think he needs one more year in the minors and then he should be ready. The sad thing about Gerbe is he should be up with this team if it wasn't for some deadweights holding a roster spot from him.

I'll be interested to hear Gerbe's reaction to the news after his "I'm not going down" statement last month. Weber is no surprise and I still think Kennedy is not that far behind.

Maybe his lack of going down is why he is being sent down!

Does Tallinder have pictures of LR and a sheep? The guy was a turnstile in the last pre-season game.

So Tyler Myers will get at least a 9 game look. Good luck big fella. I know my boss, who is a Rockets' season ticket holder, will be bummed about this (for selfish reasons) but I am not.

I hope he can stay on the whole year and get in 60 plus games. It's time to change the culture of this team and it starts with him I believe. He's a great kid, will work hard on and off the ice and will be a very good player for this team for years to come.

Interesting tidbit:

Kennedy, meanwhile, was skating on a line today with Clarke MacArthur and Jason Pominville.

Does that mean Vanek-Connolly-Roy?

I thought they tried that a little last year, without much success.

That is an interesting combination. On paper it looks good, but the reality of a line is sometimes less than its potential. I don't recall this line last year, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Stafford??? Edit - oh #%^$#!, concussion, not skating with a regular line in practice yet.

That is an interesting combination. On paper it looks good, but the reality of a line is sometimes less than its potential. I don't recall this line last year, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Stafford???

Stafford had a mild concussion and is not practicing in the contact drills. From what I've read, I think he'll play the opener.

I'd guess the Vanek-Connolly-Roy line in practice today is the result of Stafford not participating more than anything else. If they do try that line I think it could be excellent. I don't remember it last year at all but it was awesome for a while in '07 - '08 before Connolly got hurt. That line was together in the big comeback games against Tampa Bay and Thomas Vanek really excelled with Roy and Connolly.

I really think Kennedy makes this team. It just gives Lindy way too many options then what he already has. According to Paul Hamilton last night, he said Kennedy will probably play on the 4th line, which is a mistake, but if anything happens on the first 2 lines, as in, poor play, by whom ever, Lindy can change lines on the go and move Kennedy up. He'll play the power play and penalty kill. I do think he's wasted on the 4th line but imo it makes sure MacArthur needs to play at a top level each shift or else.

It's hard to argue about Kennedy making the team. He's had a strong camp and according to Hamilton he was the best player in the final 2 games he played in. And Ruff had tons of praise for him yesterday on Sabres.com.

I really think Kennedy makes this team. It just gives Lindy way too many options then what he already has. According to Paul Hamilton last night, he said Kennedy will probably play on the 4th line, which is a mistake, but if anything happens on the first 2 lines, as in, poor play, by whom ever, Lindy can change lines on the go and move Kennedy up. He'll play the power play and penalty kill. I do think he's wasted on the 4th line but imo it makes sure MacArthur needs to play at a top level each shift or else.

It's hard to argue about Kennedy making the team. He's had a strong camp and according to Hamilton he was the best player in the final 2 games he played in. And Ruff had tons of praise for him yesterday on Sabres.com.

There's always that option of sending Kennedy down right before the opener. I mentioned it yesterday that they did it in the past with a forward and now I remember that it was Paille back in 2006. Is it a smart move? Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

There's always that option of sending Kennedy down right before the opener. I mentioned it yesterday that they did it in the past with a forward and now I remember that it was Paille back in 2006. Is it a smart move? Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

Well, they don't have to send him down right away right? I think they can put Adam Mair on the IR and have the extra spot. I really think once they truly need to cut a roster spot, Ellis will be the odd man out.

I don't think it's a mistake to play Kennedy on the 4th line and you basically list the reasons why. He only has one NHL game under his belt so let's keep the pressure off of him by starting him on the 4th line. Let him polish his offensive skills on the power play. Let him focus on being the reliable, defensively oriented center between two more physical guys for a while. You also mentioned how he'll keep the pressure on MacArthur and that's a good thing.

Well, they don't have to send him down right away right? I think they can put Adam Mair on the IR and have the extra spot. I really think once they truly need to cut a roster spot, Ellis will be the odd man out.

According to The Buffalo News, Mair is on IR as of today.

No, there's nothing forcing them to do it, I just can't shake the feeling that they could send him down soon thanks to their past actions. But if they do end up making that move, it doesn't mean that he won't be right back up with the big club soon enough. I really have no idea which way they'll end up going. They're going to be playing a numbers game somewhere down the line.

No, there's nothing forcing them to do it, I just can't shake the feeling that they could send him down soon thanks to their past actions. But if they do end up making that move, it doesn't mean that he won't be right back up with the big club soon enough. I really have no idea which way they'll end up going. They're going to be playing a numbers game somewhere down the line.

True. Their history, however, is that they don't make roster moves until they have to -- ie when an injury enables them to delay making a decision, they delay. This is probably the prudent course of action, IMHO.

Now we see if Gerbe goes down and pouts or forces them to bring him up like Roy and Pominville did when they got sent down coming out of the lockout.

That's always the interesting part. I have to think he'll remain positive. I thought he was awful early on in camp but came on real strong the final week and played really well against Montreal and Toronto. I think he knows he's real close and will work hard to get back up. But, atleast he took the news better then Kostitsyn.... http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293177 lol

Kennedy on the fourth line gives LR sine options and should keep others motivated. Competition for playing time in the locker room is a good thing among the forwards.

Gerbe is a tough fit for this team. They already have a smaller than average center with Roy and a fragile Center in Connolly. Having Gerbe on this team with that combination already playing means he is in portland until one of them gets hurt.

According to The Buffalo News, Mair is on IR as of today.

Not to split hairs, but DR put Mair on "injured Non-Roster" status because he didn't pass his physical. So he's really not on the team until he passes his physical. Kinda like Numminen last year.

Archived