Max going to Atlanta

Two or less

Thrashers add Afinogenov for tryout

11:05 am September 17, 2009, by Chris Vivlamore

The Thrashers will bring Maxim Afinogenov, who played in Buffalo last season, into training camp for a pro tryout. He is expected to arrive Thursday night.

Afinogenov was injured much of last season, but the 6-foot-1, 191-pound Russian forward led the Sabres in scoring in 2005-06 with 73 points.

“He’s a high-end guy, a skill guy,” Thrashers general manager Don Waddell said. “It doesn’t hurt. We’ll see what happens.”

Afinogenov had 20 points (6 goals, 14 assists) last season for the Sabres.

He was a third-round draft pick in 1997.

What are your thoughts?

Link- http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashers-blog/2009/09/17/thrashers-add-afinogenov-for-tryout/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_thrashers_blog

I'm going to be at the Preds game tonight, they're playing Atlanta. If he was expected to arrive today then I doubt he'll be there. But yea, best of luck to him, maybe Kovalchuk can teach him how to score. Maybe it was the language barrier/lack of Russians on the Sabres that kept him from figuring out that the puck goes in the net and not onto opposing players' sticks. Edit: Just read the Thrashers site, he tries out tomorrow.

I'm going to be at the Preds game tonight, they're playing Atlanta. If he was expected to arrive today then I doubt he'll be there. But yea, best of luck to him, maybe Kovalchuk can teach him how to score. Maybe it was the language barrier/lack of Russians on the Sabres that kept him from figuring out that the puck goes in the net and not onto opposing players' sticks. Edit: Just read the Thrashers site, he tries out tomorrow.

Let me know what you think of Collin Wilson if he plays for Nashville.

You have to read the comments on TSNs site regarding this deal and how Max is too good of a player to have to try out for a team and should just be given a contract

Apparently if he can stay healthy he will score 60+ points a season.

Sort of sounds like Sabres fans with Timmy..........

Except Connolly has actually performed when healthy over the last two seasons. Afinogenov on the other hand...

I think Max will stick with them. He's played on the same line as Kovalchuk for Russia in the past and he must know Randy Cunnyworth (Atlanta assistant) pretty well too from their time in training camp in Buffalo. According to Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Pittsburgh and Minnesota also were interested in giving him a chance. Since he selected the place where Kovy place and knowing Randy, makes me think he's a slam dunk to make their roster.

I think Max will stick with them. He's played on the same line as Kovalchuk for Russia in the past and he must know Randy Cunnyworth (Atlanta assistant) pretty well too from their time in training camp in Buffalo. According to Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Pittsburgh and Minnesota also were interested in giving him a chance. Since he selected the place where Kovy place and knowing Randy, makes me think he's a slam dunk to make their roster.

The thing is though, if you've seen him play for Team Russia, you will notice that the Russian bench makes a very nice Buffalo Sabres impression when Max decides to take the game into his own hands.

Meaning they all stand around with the exact same WTF look on their faces, and while Max usually starts tournaments for Team Russia on one of the better lines, he usually ends up with 4-7 minutes of ice time per game when the knockout stages begin, and opposition gets better.

Last tournament he didn't even get the call to my knowledge?

Oh well, I guess even if he pots 80 points for Atlanta, he still wasn't a good player when here. I guess we'll find out if Ruff had any part in that soon enough.

The scary part about all this is that given the combination of Max, Kovy, and Cunneyworth backing up the bench, the Thrashers might be a force to be reckoned with this season.

You know what the sad thing is Max will probably be alot better player in Atlanta than he ever was with Buffalo as long as he is paired with a fellow russian. I thought he would have been a perfect fit with Washington. He seems to be a better player when playing with his country than he was in the nhl.

He should have been playing with the Red Wings in the second half of the 1990s.

Archived