Max going to Atlanta

Two or less

Let me know what you think of Collin Wilson if he plays for Nashville.

He was playing very nonchalant, but he snuck in a goal and 2 assists. I was watching him #33 and he seems like he's going to do some damage once he gets his feet wet. But like I said, he was being low profile, feeling around the ice, it looks like he's TRYING to get opposing players not to notice him.

He was playing very nonchalant, but he snuck in a goal and 2 assists. I was watching him #33 and he seems like he's going to do some damage once he gets his feet wet. But like I said, he was being low profile, feeling around the ice, it looks like he's TRYING to get opposing players not to notice him.

He'll look like that when he's off the puck, but when he gets it, look out. That was pretty much how he was at BU. He'd carry it in deep, draw 2-3 guys to him and then set up someone perfectly in front of the net. It was nothing fancy, he was just as strong as possible on the puck.

He'll look like that when he's off the puck, but when he gets it, look out. That was pretty much how he was at BU. He'd carry it in deep, draw 2-3 guys to him and then set up someone perfectly in front of the net. It was nothing fancy, he was just as strong as possible on the puck.

So, the total opposite of Max? (Just keeping this on topic. :) )

• 2 weeks later...

USA Today's Kevin Allen tweets Max has signed a 1 year, $800k deal with Atlanta. Best of luck to him.

I'd say that's a good deal for Atlanta. If he somehow finds chemistry with the rest of the "Russians" (I'll include players from the other former Soviet states), then he'll produce enough that the contract will seem cheap. If not, then it's not much to eat.

I'd say that's a good deal for Atlanta. If he somehow finds chemistry with the rest of the "Russians" (I'll include players from the other former Soviet states), then he'll produce enough that the contract will seem cheap. If not, then it's not much to eat.

Atlanta is pretty much a perfect team for him. It's a team that is going to have a hard time drawing fans and doesn't have much hope of making the playoffs anyhow. His brainfarts won't hurt a team that was going to lose anyway, and when he does actually successfully have one of his scoring rushes it'll get people out of their seats. He'll probably sell a lot of sweaters as well.

Kozlov and Kovalchuk both can finish (well Slava used to be able to, not sure if he still can at his age), so IF Max draws players toward him and can actually find a way to get the puck to the opposite wing, he might not be as big a liability as we're all expecting him to be. If Max doesn't draw players to him, because there is someone on the other wing that people actually do worry about, then maybe he can score a few and again he MIGHT not be as big a liability as we're all expecting him to be.

Besides, Don Waddell wouldn't know a hockey player if one ...

It's a perfect fit. When you've got nothin', you've got nothin' to lose.

Atlanta is pretty much a perfect team for him. It's a team that is going to have a hard time drawing fans and doesn't have much hope of making the playoffs anyhow. His brainfarts won't hurt a team that was going to lose anyway, and when he does actually successfully have one of his scoring rushes it'll get people out of their seats. He'll probably sell a lot of sweaters as well.

Kozlov and Kovalchuk both can finish (well Slava used to be able to, not sure if he still can at his age), so IF Max draws players toward him and can actually find a way to get the puck to the opposite wing, he might not be as big a liability as we're all expecting him to be. If Max doesn't draw players to him, because there is someone on the other wing that people actually do worry about, then maybe he can score a few and again he MIGHT not be as big a liability as we're all expecting him to be.

Besides, Don Waddell wouldn't know a hockey player if one ...

It's a perfect fit. When you've got nothin', you've got nothin' to lose.

He's actually still doing pretty good. His ranking during Fantasy hockey drafts always surprises me. Does anyone take him? No. But his numbers are still decent in the world of real hockey. It always just surprises me to see his name.

His success with Atlanta won't have anything to do with the fact that he'll be playing with Russian players.

A player like Afinogenov needs to be paired with players at his skill level period, I don't care where they come from.

He'll certainly get a better shake in Atlanta then he got playing with Mair Peters and Kaleta.

His success with Atlanta won't have anything to do with the fact that he'll be playing with Russian players.

A player like Afinogenov needs to be paired with players at his skill level period, I don't care where they come from.

He'll certainly get a better shake in Atlanta then he got playing with Mair Peters and Kaleta.

You do remember he was given another chance with Vanek and Roy last year, right?

It's official...

ATLANTA -- Forward Maxim Afinogenov and defenseman Mark Popovic, who played in the preseason with the Atlanta Thrashers on pro tryouts, have signed with the team.

A source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun that Afinogenov's deal is for one-year, $800,000.

You do remember he was given another chance with Vanek and Roy last year, right?

Would you like to name the games for us so we can avoid be nebulous.

How many games did he play on that line?

Just list the game for us.

The vast majority of the season he was on the fourth line, to my recollection he started the season there.

Regardless of anything said here, what he does in Atlanta will tell the story.

Would you like to name the games for us so we can avoid be nebulous.

How many games did he play on that line?

Just list the game for us.

The vast majority of the season he was on the fourth line, to my recollection he started the season there.

Regardless of anything said here, what he does in Atlanta will tell the story.

If you don't remember him playing on a better pairing last season, then why are you here?

I remember asking fo a list of the games he played on that line.

If you can't list them then why are you here?

Why should I list them? You should already know, shouldn't you? Max got his chances to prove himself last year and failed miserably. If you were paying any attention to last season at all, you would know that. If you want to walk in here pretending you know everything about hockey, you damn well better know everything.

So how about YOU figure it out, oh wealth of knowledge.

Max was a great guy, but his flare and skating ability never could mesh with that one thing Pavel Bure had. Finish!

Max looks and skates like Bure but that is where it ends. Bure was a goal scorer and sadly, Max is not. Too bad. Good luck to Max.

It was his head more than his lack of finish. If people don't have that touch, they're never going to develop it, but they can progress in other areas of the game. His skating and puck carrying ability fit right into him being a great setup guy. He never found that ability and that is why he failed here.

Archived