I'm sick of Regier's "no one wants to trade with me" excuse!

LabattBlue

This is a joke and he should be fired immediately. Put a good offer on the table and there will be plenty of trading partners. If you have players that need to be dumped, don't wait...take what you can get ASAP and move on. Refusing to do this is why the Sabres were stuck with Max all of last year and the same thing will happen with Tallinder this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/buffalosabres/story/783286.html

:angry: :angry:

This is a joke and he should be fired immediately. Put a good offer on the table and there will be plenty of trading partners. If you have players that need to be dumped, don't wait...take what you can get ASAP and move on. Refusing to do this is why the Sabres were stuck with Max all of last year and the same thing will happen with Tallinder this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/buffalosabres/story/783286.html

:angry: :angry:

In this quote, by describing "the league", he is describing what he has done with the Sabres.

“It just revolves around the actual [salary] cap or internal organizational caps,” he said. “I would say to a large extent the league has oversigned players. The team’s best players are normally not available for trade, and to the extent that underperformers are out there, in a lot of cases they have contracts that teams don’t want to pick up. It’s made it very difficult to find a match.”

Normally im not on board with Darcy, I think he is too timid and too reliant on his past deals on picks. But this time i just dont see a lot of movement throughout the league. Its not like hes standing pat while everyone is wheeling and dealing.

Is there a player out there who we could realistically get????

In this quote, by describing "the league", he is describing what he has done with the Sabres.

Correct. The buck stops with him. He's the one that gave big contracts to a number of overpaid underperformers that are now albatrosses around his neck in the effort to improve the team. While I suspect 90% of the teams in the NHL are in the same situation, one of the key elements of his job is to figure this out ahead of time and avoid this kind of pitfall.

Correct. The buck stops with him. He's the one that gave big contracts to a number of overpaid underperformers that are now albatrosses around his neck in the effort to improve the team. While I suspect 90% of the teams in the NHL are in the same situation, one of the key elements of his job is to figure this out ahead of time and avoid this kind of pitfall.

Were they underpaid underperformers when they got their contracts?

I doubt many fans had a problem with Hecht, Tallinder, Pominville and the like being retained.

Classic revisionist Sabres history.

I doubt many fans had a problem with Hecht, Tallinder, Pominville and the like being retained.

Red Herring Alert.

His job is to know who is going to be the performer NEXT season, not pay people for what they did last season. How the fans viewed those moves is irrelevant.

One well-known name that’s been on the trading block all summer is Dany Heatley. The disgruntled Ottawa sniper was never on Buffalo’s wish list.

“We didn’t make any inquiries there,” Regier said.

How do you not even inquire about Heatley? See what the Sens are looking for (Hecht or the rights to Stafford and a top 5 prospect would probably get it done at this point). Talk to Heatley to see if he would be excited to play in Buffalo (he's in bad situation so you never know).

"Tried" is just a nicer way of saying "failed." This off-season has been a colossal failure for this organization. To go an entire off-season and fail to make any moves to improve a 10th place team is truly distributing. What compounds the failures is that we all know that it doesn't matter if they fail. If this team misses a third straight year of playoff hockey there will be no changes. We will be fed the same old excuses. Here it is Sept 3rd and the excuses for the 2009-2010 have already begun. Shame on this organIzation for the wool they are tying to pull of the fan's eyes and shame on those of you who let them get away with it. .

Red Herring alert.

His job is to know who is going to be the performer NEXT season, not pay people for what they did last season. How the fans viewed those moves is irrelevant.

Do you think he should have known that Hecht was going to #%^$#! the bed last season? Do you think when (if?) Darcy asked Lindy about these players, Lindy had any reservations about paying up? By the way, Hecht's season was an aberration in a pretty good career. There's a good chance he turns it around again in coming seasons and makes the contract look pretty good in totality.

This ain't science. It's an art.

It's pure revisionism for anyone to step up and today and say, "Tallinder? I told you so!"

Now get that nerf ball off my roof!!!!!!

Do you think he should have known that Hecht was going to #%^$#! the bed last season? Do you think when (if?) Darcy asked Lindy about these players, Lindy had any reservations about paying up? By the way, Hecht's season was an aberration in a pretty good career. There's a good chance he turns it around again in coming seasons and makes the contract look pretty good in totality.

It's pure revisionism for anyone to step up and today and say, "Tallinder? I told you so!"

(...he's not looking...go get the whiffle ball...)

That's all true. But that is his job,...To know. And he is saying it is a league-wide problem when it is actually a Darcy-wide problem.

I still don't think Tallinder is as bad as peple are saying. I have a bigger problem with Ruff's scheme, but that a topic for another day.

I have absolutely no problem with any Darcy quote in that article. Just take a look around the league and the decent number of middle level players that are still unsigned. For the most part, the money either isn't there or has been spent already. That doesn't mean that nothing will open up prior to the start of the season though. Injuries, poor showings, there's a number of things that could happen that would change a team's situation. The only words in that article that state that the Sabres will stick with what they have right now are Vogl's words, not Regier's. Is it likely, probably, but any number of things can change once training camps are under way.

One well-known name that’s been on the trading block all summer is Dany Heatley. The disgruntled Ottawa sniper was never on Buffalo’s wish list.

“We didn’t make any inquiries there,” Regier said.

How do you not even inquire about Heatley? See what the Sens are looking for (Hecht or the rights to Stafford and a top 5 prospect would probably get it done at this point). Talk to Heatley to see if he would be excited to play in Buffalo (he's in bad situation so you never know).

absolutely not true.

Obtuse.

Red Herring Alert.

100% correct.

"Tried" is just a nicer way of saying "failed." This off-season has been a colossal failure for this organization. To go an entire off-season and fail to make any moves to improve a 10th place team is truly distributing. What compounds the failures is that we all know that it doesn't matter if they fail. If this team misses a third straight year of playoff hockey there will be no changes. We will be fed the same old excuses. Here it is Sept 3rd and the excuses for the 2009-2010 have already begun. Shame on this organIzation for the wool they are tying to pull of the fan's eyes and shame on those of you who let them get away with it. .

Do you really think DR and LR will be back if they miss the playoffs again? I think they will both be gone if that happens.

As SwampD points out, fan reaction at the time of those extensions is not relevant. It's Darcy's job (and not Lindy's, btw) to be right about those players and those contracts. It's also Darcy's job to be right about the trade market -- and not get surprised by a market that is frozen because everyone else is in the same boat of needing to dump overpriced players.

Also, Tom Webster said from the get-go that $3.8MM per year was way too much for Hecht. Guys like Hecht aren't a dime a dozen, but they aren't $3.8MM guys (or even $2MM guys for that matter). There are plenty of guys floating around free agency right now who could bring what Hecht brings at a much lower cost.

His best season is not worth that contract. Said it then, and I continue to say it now. Check out the comparables. He is a third line checking forward with very little "jam" to his game.

This could be one long complaint thread.

The definition of a "true fan" comes to mind. The "true fan" for me is the money I've spent on Sabres. The "true fan" for me is learning the sport and about the NHL in general. True fan is being realistic, being supportive, critical and vocal. I'm not one to put blinders on and say everything is all right when it's very clear that it is not. And I'm not one to just sign off with a "Go Sabres" and leave it at that.

Speaking for me: I'm as "True" as they come but I will not shut my mouth and twiddle my fingers when something just isn't right just because I might hurt someones feelings by not going goo goo ga ga go Sabres and all that without questioning whatever.

Dr's not on his game anymore, IMHO. He's been shaken and stirred by LQ and TG. Sure, he'll put on team on the ice that's halfway decent, possibly entertaining. But the same things he says about other teams having overpriced players and such, are his mistakes too. I've come to the realization that yeah, I'll go to my games, enjoy the 'entertainment', but I'm willing to blow it up (gracefully) if it comes to that this year to improve in the years to come. Looking at U guys post in the 30-30 thread about the 80's, jeesh, I hope that's not the next 10 years.

If we miss the playoffs this year, I believe I shall drink myself into oblivion. Might only be milk that I'm drinking, but when it hits you, it hits you hard!

Do you really think DR and LR will be back if they miss the playoffs again? I think they will both be gone if that happens.

Well, they missed the playoffs two seasons in a row and they are still here. The Penguins made it to the Finals with Therrien, but dumped him mid-season. I guess the Sabres operate on a completely different set of principles than other teams (at least some others). :doh:

Well, they missed the playoffs two seasons in a row and they are still here. The Penguins made it to the Finals with Therrien, but dumped him mid-season. I guess the Sabres operate on a completely different set of principles than other teams (at least some others). :doh:

Barring a fan revolt that seems unlikely, I think the current regime stays on no matter what. You know, to finish the rebuilding job they started this offseason. It'll take, oh, a good three or four years to come to frutation.

One other item about the DR article: if they do sign Stafford as DR expects, that will put the payroll north of $56MM. As I've said before, I don't expect the Sabres to maintain that kind of payroll this season, so perhaps a trade will happen. OTOH, if they do pay that much and still miss the playoffs again, I have a hard time believing DR and LR won't get canned.

Archived