I'm sick of Regier's "no one wants to trade with me" excuse!

LabattBlue

didnt regier say he wasnt going to sign big free agents and his excuse for that was he was going to trade and now his excuse for not trading is noone wants to trade with him? its a load of bs

Good luck finding anything that will back up the first part of your statment.

didnt regier say he wasnt going to sign big free agents and his excuse for that was he was going to trade and now his excuse for not trading is noone wants to trade with him? its a load of bs

A little imprecise, but, yeah, that about sums it up. Darcy is to the Sabres what Dick is to the Bills. There is zero ability there to inspire confidence internally or externally. You watch them both, and you just want to cut yourself and huff some hand sanitizer. So, so depressing.

I find the article disappointing, but refreshing.. Rather candid in fact. For the Sabres to change significantly, they were going to have to go big. Going big on the Sabres means Vanek, Roy or Miller... Maybe it is Vanek, Roy AND Miller. I wasn't mentally ready to blow up the team this year. One more year of 85-90 points and I'm there.

Good lord, I need to learn how to read. I read the "wasnt" in your first post as "didnt regier say he WAS going to sign big free agents". I'd go with some grammar response and say I missed it because of the lack of apostrophies, but nah. Sorry about the misread.

Good lord, I need to learn how to read. I read the "wasnt" in your first post as "didnt regier say he WAS going to sign big free agents". I'd go with some grammar response and say I missed it because of the lack of apostrophies, but nah. Sorry about the misread.

Oh lol..... That would be crazy if he said something like that

One other item about the DR article: if they do sign Stafford as DR expects, that will put the payroll north of $56MM. As I've said before, I don't expect the Sabres to maintain that kind of payroll this season, so perhaps a trade will happen. OTOH, if they do pay that much and still miss the playoffs again, I have a hard time believing DR and LR won't get canned.

Even in Buffalo, I think that is a foregone conclusion after this season. Meaning, that regardless of the roster, if the Sabres miss the playoffs this season, the only thing they can do is can DR and LR seeing as the "core" of wusses are under contract for the next several season.

Even LQ will realize that - it would be the best PR move.

I do, based mostly on my impressions not hard facts, believe that Darcy is too conservative when it comes to making trades. I get the feeling that he is more concerned about not making mistakes than anything else. However, that said, it does take two to tango and there haven't been many (any?) significant trades this entire Summer. The market seems tighter this year than any time since the lockout. His failure to unload Max last year was more disappointing than his failure to move Hank this year.

Even in Buffalo, I think that is a foregone conclusion after this season. Meaning, that regardless of the roster, if the Sabres miss the playoffs this season, the only thing they can do is can DR and LR seeing as the "core" of wusses are under contract for the next several season.

Even LQ will realize that - it would be the best PR move.

There are no "Foregone conclusions" with this franchise. To fire Regier or Ruff is to admit that they have made mistakes. That is not the M.O. of Status Quo. If they miss the playoffs again this year the blame will fall where it always does, on someone else. Injuries, the free agency market and now a lack of a trade market. The excuses available to Status Quo are vast. They are already laying the ground work for everyone to be back in 2010-11 no matter what happens.

There are no "Foregone conclusions" with this franchise. To fire Regier or Ruff is to admit that they have made mistakes. That is not the M.O. of Status Quo. If they miss the playoffs again this year the blame will fall where it always does, on someone else. Injuries, the free agency market and now a lack of a trade market. The excuses available to Status Quo are vast. They are already laying the ground work for everyone to be back in 2010-11 no matter what happens.

Isn't at least one of their contracts up at the end of this season? You can't fire someone when they're not under contract.

I do, based mostly on my impressions not hard facts, believe that Darcy is too conservative when it comes to making trades. I get the feeling that he is more concerned about not making mistakes than anything else. However, that said, it does take two to tango and there haven't been many (any?) significant trades this entire Summer. The market seems tighter this year than any time since the lockout. His failure to unload Max last year was more disappointing than his failure to move Hank this year.

Scott Gomez to the Habs? Nothing much besides that.

Not with the goaltending they have, IMO.

Goaltending may be the reason they reason they don't get the top seed. But they will be in the top four. The Sabres plight aside, this is going to be a very competitive season at the top of the Conference.

I can't disagree with the goaltending point, and I agree that the top of the conference will be interesting and competitive. I'm curious to see whether Boston is as good as last year's record indicates and whether the Capitals can continue to improve. I think those 2 along with Pittsburgh and Philly are the top 4. After that, I think we'll see NJ, NYR, Montreal, Carolina and the Sabres jockeying for spots 5-9.

I can't disagree with the goaltending point, and I agree that the top of the conference will be interesting and competitive. I'm curious to see whether Boston is as good as last year's record indicates and whether the Capitals can continue to improve. I think those 2 along with Pittsburgh and Philly are the top 4. After that, I think we'll see NJ, NYR, Montreal, Carolina and the Sabres jockeying for spots 5-9.

Don't forget about the teams in the Sunshine State. Florida did tie for the eight spot last season and Tampa has a lot of talent upfront if healthy.

Imo, Florida's David Booth would be a bigger star in the league if he played for a more traditional hockey market. I know Horton gets all the pub, Booth is just as big and maybe more offensively talented.

I don't think Buffalo will be jockeying for 5th.

Don't forget about the teams in the Sunshine State. Florida did tie for the eight spot last season and Tampa has a lot of talent upfront if healthy.

Imo, Florida's David Booth would be a bigger star in the league if he played for a more traditional hockey market. I know Horton gets all the pub, Booth is just as big and maybe more offensively talented.

Tampa has upgraded their roster, but the wheels are close to falling off for the ownership, which I think will be a drag on their improvement. Overall I don't think they have enough to get into the playoffs. I agree on Booth, but remember that Florida lost their best player in Bouwmeester and got nothing in return.

I don't think Buffalo will be jockeying for 5th.

It's not at all unreasonable to doubt this, but at the same time, there are plenty of holes in the Rangers, Habs and Devils. Carolina probably has the most solid foundation of the 5 teams I mentioned. Still, I can see the Sabres being right there with them and the others for #5-#6.

It's not at all unreasonable to doubt this, but at the same time, there are plenty of holes in the Rangers, Habs and Devils. Carolina probably has the most solid foundation of the 5 teams I mentioned. Still, I can see the Sabres being right there with them and the others for #5-#6.

Well of course it is a possibility but a long shot possibility.

This team is still on a slide if fans haven't noticed.

They lost spacho, kotalik and max.

Say what you will, kotalik is a 20 goal scorer.

Spacho is no minor loss.

Max is because they weren't using him. Even if they played him last year they could not afford to keep him.

Until they get an infusion from Portland they are at the very best on a par with last years team.

Archived