Anyone Missing Brian Campbell and His Contract?

dscrapj

I miss his .75 hits a year.

Things I miss: His quick passes out of the zone and ability to carry the puck into the offensive zone on the PP.

Things I don't miss: Terrible defense and his brain farts (see game 7 of the ECF 2006).

Having gone from an elite team to an utter mediocrity (and and organization that is no doubt thought of around the league as a bunch of bozos) in a ridiculously short time, the Sabres and their fans are in no position to be taking shots at any of the players who have moved on to greener pastures (and better teams). Just about any of the good players that the Sabres let go due to poor decisions or poor execution in the past few years -- the co-captains, Soupy, Dumont, Grier, etc -- would have helped substantially in the last 2 years.

Just curious if anyone is upset Brian Campbell and his contract aren't still part of the Sabres.

I'm am definitely glad that his Blackhawks contract (8 yrs x $7.14 million) is not part of the Sabres. I'm probably glad that the contract that he was looking for from us (around $4.5 million per) is not part of the Sabres, but far less certain.

Like many of the players that left, Brian's contract was ridiculous, but the contracts that these players were reportedly looking for from us (at some point within the final year of their contracts) were usually significantly less.

No. I liked him when he was here, but my goodness is that guy highly overrated. I thought that when he was with Buffalo, too. I'm more upset the Sabres lost Drury, Briere, Dumont, Grier, and McKee. I am not upset the Sabres traded Campbell and used that trade to draft Tyler Ennis and through some swapping of picks acquire Craig Rivet. To be honest, the Sabres weren't any worse off without him this past year than they were during his time with Buffalo during the 2007-2008 season. Based on the performance the last two years, it's obvious that this team misses Drury and Briere more than it misses Campbell because they basically had the same position in the standings with Campbell in the lineup during 2007-2008 as they did without him this past year.

Given his position as a defenseman and his complete inability to play in the defensive zone, no, I don't miss him or his contract. Those that think he's a big hitter, that's a complete fallacy and the only two hits he's ever had in his career have been in the offensive zone, not in the defensive zone trying to prevent a scoring opportunity. I'm glad he got exposed on National TV this year by McGuire, Olczyk, Pang, and Milbury for being so bad in the defensive zone. He even lost the faith of his coach and his minutes were dropped significantly by Quenneville during the playoffs. As a person, I wish him nothing but the best, but I do not miss him, his contract, or his style of play.

No. I liked him when he was here, but my goodness is that guy highly overrated. I thought that when he was with Buffalo, too. I'm more upset the Sabres lost Drury, Briere, Dumont, Grier, and McKee. I am not upset the Sabres traded Campbell and used that trade to draft Tyler Ennis and through some swapping of picks acquire Craig Rivet. To be honest, the Sabres weren't any worse off without him this past year than they were during his time with Buffalo during the 2007-2008 season. Based on the performance the last two years, it's obvious that this team misses Drury and Briere more than it misses Campbell because they basically had the same position in the standings with Campbell in the lineup during 2007-2008 as they did without him this past year.

Given his position as a defenseman and his complete inability to play in the defensive zone, no, I don't miss him or his contract. Those that think he's a big hitter, that's a complete fallacy and the only two hits he's ever had in his career have been in the offensive zone, not in the defensive zone trying to prevent a scoring opportunity. I'm glad he got exposed on National TV this year by McGuire, Olczyk, Pang, and Milbury for being so bad in the defensive zone. He even lost the faith of his coach and his minutes were dropped significantly by Quenneville during the playoffs. As a person, I wish him nothing but the best, but I do not miss him, his contract, or his style of play.

but, but, but, the spinorama :cry:

Being from Chicago and also being a Blackhawks season tix holder, (Sabres are my club I need a hockey fix) let me just say that Brian Campbell leaving was one of the greatest blessings the good lord bestowed upon us. This was a claasic case of everyone jumping on the "management is not committed' bandwagon. Meawhile, everyone who wanted to keep him should be committed.

It is the first year and everyone here is already sick of him. He gave away game three against Calgary. His dipsy doodle in OT cost the Hawks game two against the Wings and he was only a +5 for the season. If he could backup anymore, he would be the co-pilot of the Zamboni machine. All you need to do if you want a Campbell clone is do what the Hawks did. Switch Byfugelin to forward and let him play the point on the power play. You will save yourself about twenty million dollars in salary for exactly the same output.

How could we ever have made up for the seven goals he scored all year? Not exactly Bobby Orr. Hell, Rivet scored two and he played in fifteen less games. Corner work and Campbell also do not come up in the same sentence when I read about the Hawks in the Tribune.

This contract is already strangling the Hawks. Havlat and the Buelin Wall are now gone and one of the triplets will eventually leave too. There is no way anyone in their right mind will ever take this contract with the hard cap in the NHL. Mark it down that Huet and Campbell will be the downfall in 2-3 years.

On a scale of 1-10, ten being the most overrated player in Sabres history, I would give him an 11. Thats not fair when I think about it because I would give JF Sauve a 12.

When the rules changed at first, it catered to guys like Campbell. Now you are seeing the switch and rightly so back to defensemen who can actually play defense.

On a scale of 1-10, ten being the most overrated player in Sabres history, I would give him an 11. Thats not fair when I think about it because I would give JF Sauve a 12.

When the rules changed at first, it catered to guys like Campbell. Now you are seeing the switch and rightly so back to defensemen who can actually play defense.

Nice post. But no love for JF. :lol:

His minutes dropped 2 minutes and 5 seconds all attributal to less power plays in the playoffs and while he had his moments, there are many who will tell you he was their best d-man in the playoffs.

For the record, I agree with Carp and bemoan the fact that they have lost so much with the only thing to show for it another midget forward and an aging defenseman.

Being from Chicago and also being a Blackhawks season tix holder, (Sabres are my club I need a hockey fix) let me just say that Brian Campbell leaving was one of the greatest blessings the good lord bestowed upon us. This was a claasic case of everyone jumping on the "management is not committed' bandwagon. Meawhile, everyone who wanted to keep him should be committed.

It is the first year and everyone here is already sick of him. He gave away game three against Calgary. His dipsy doodle in OT cost the Hawks game two against the Wings and he was only a +5 for the season. If he could backup anymore, he would be the co-pilot of the Zamboni machine. All you need to do if you want a Campbell clone is do what the Hawks did. Switch Byfugelin to forward and let him play the point on the power play. You will save yourself about twenty million dollars in salary for exactly the same output.

How could we ever have made up for the seven goals he scored all year? Not exactly Bobby Orr. Hell, Rivet scored two and he played in fifteen less games. Corner work and Campbell also do not come up in the same sentence when I read about the Hawks in the Tribune.

This contract is already strangling the Hawks. Havlat and the Buelin Wall are now gone and one of the triplets will eventually leave too. There is no way anyone in their right mind will ever take this contract with the hard cap in the NHL. Mark it down that Huet and Campbell will be the downfall in 2-3 years.

This is exactly how I always have viewed Campbell. He made a name with one hit (it was a GREAT hit to watch as a Sabres fan), and he has some puck-moving skills, but wow, he just is not a good defenseman. I'm happy as hell that he's getting paid; I've got nothing against him.

McKee was a much, much bigger loss defensively. And there's no way the Sabres should have paid McKee what he got in Missouri, either.

I'd be happier if Campbell were here, but at no more than $3.5M per. (McKee got 4x4 in St.L., right?) That wasn't Campbell's market rate (one hit is still a hit, just ask Rick Astley), and I'm glad the Sabres moved him.

This is exactly how I always have viewed Campbell. He made a name with one hit (it was a GREAT hit to watch as a Sabres fan), and he has some puck-moving skills, but wow, he just is not a good defenseman. I'm happy as hell that he's getting paid; I've got nothing against him.

McKee was a much, much bigger loss defensively. And there's no way the Sabres should have paid McKee what he got in Missouri, either.

I'd be happier if Campbell were here, but at no more than $3.5M per. (McKee got 4x4 in St.L., right?) That wasn't Campbell's market rate (one hit is still a hit, just ask Rick Astley), and I'm glad the Sabres moved him.

It's not like the McKee who left ever turned up anywhere else.

I would say the diminishing of Teppo Numminen's skills affected the team as much if not more.

:worthy:

It's not like the McKee who left ever turned up anywhere else.

I would say the diminishing of Teppo Numminen's skills affected the team as much if not more.

This is a key point, and applicable to pretty much every good Sabre who has left in the last few years -- it doesn't really matter how they've done for their new teams. What matters is how important they were to the Sabres, and the size of the hole in the team when they left. I don't think anyone would disagree that Drury, Briere, Campbell and McKee are overpaid. But I don't think anyone would disagree, either, that the Sabres have fallen apart without them.

This is a key point, and applicable to pretty much every good Sabre who has left in the last few years -- it doesn't really matter how they've done for their new teams. What matters is how important they were to the Sabres, and the size of the hole in the team when they left. I don't think anyone would disagree that Drury, Briere, Campbell and McKee are overpaid. But I don't think anyone would disagree, either, that the Sabres have fallen apart without them.

The Sabres fell apart without Drury and Briere. Without McKee, Dumont, and Grier they made it to the Eastern Conference Finals just as they did with those guys. Personally, I think if all three were back for one more year, yes, the Sabres win the Cup and if McKee is not hurt for Game 7 the Sabres win the Cup in 2006, but they were no worse off without them in 2006-2007, technically. The Sabres finished the season in 10th place in the Eastern Conference during a season Brian Campbell played about 75% of with the Sabres. Even while he was in the lineup, the Sabres consistently hovered around the 8-10 position in the standings. A full season without Campbell and the Sabres finished the season in 10th place. Campbell really didn't make that much of a difference to this team, and people who think so are really over estimating his ability and impact to the Sabres. It wasn't as much as you think. The Sabres lost their heart and soul when Drury and Briere left and that's the bottom line. It's nice to think the other guys mattered, but if you look purely at the standings, this team really misses Briere and Drury not Campbell, not McKee, not Dumont, and not Grier. Personally, I think the 2005-2006 team that is 100% healthy and signed long term is perhaps a dynasty and the poster child for post lockout hockey, but that is not the case.

The Sabres fell apart without Drury and Briere. Without McKee, Dumont, and Grier they made it to the Eastern Conference Finals just as they did with those guys. Personally, I think if all three were back for one more year, yes, the Sabres win the Cup and if McKee is not hurt for Game 7 the Sabres win the Cup in 2006, but they were no worse off without them in 2006-2007, technically. The Sabres finished the season in 10th place in the Eastern Conference during a season Brian Campbell played about 75% of with the Sabres. Even while he was in the lineup, the Sabres consistently hovered around the 8-10 position in the standings. A full season without Campbell and the Sabres finished the season in 10th place. Campbell really didn't make that much of a difference to this team, and people who think so are really over estimating his ability and impact to the Sabres. It wasn't as much as you think. The Sabres lost their heart and soul when Drury and Briere left and that's the bottom line. It's nice to think the other guys mattered, but if you look purely at the standings, this team really misses Briere and Drury not Campbell, not McKee, not Dumont, and not Grier. Personally, I think the 2005-2006 team that is 100% healthy and signed long term is perhaps a dynasty and the poster child for post lockout hockey, but that is not the case.

And it's worth noting that the absolute killer stretch of last season, the 10 game winless streak, happened during Campbell's time with the team.

2 good posts, and it's hard to argue with either. However, I really do think that Soupy's contract status was, for the entire 2007-08 season, hanging over the heads of what was a very mentally weak team that had just had its guts ripped out the prior summer. That's not to say that if Soupy had been extended in the summer of 2007 the Sabres would have made the playoffs that year, but they might've. I do think the 2008-09 Sabres would've made the playoffs with Soupy on the roster.

Dumont's the only one whose production went up considerably after he left, the rest went down. All you guys say is that you want a tougher team.

Campbell doesn't do that.

Drury doesn't do that.

Briere doesn't do that.

If you want to miss someone I'd pick JP. and right now he's gettin' 4 million a season.

Dumont's the only one whose production went up considerably after he left, the rest went down. All you guys say is that you want a tougher team.

Campbell doesn't do that.

Drury doesn't do that.

Briere doesn't do that.

If you want to miss someone I'd pick JP. and right now he's gettin' 4 million a season.

:thumbsup:

Archived