The Music Thread

darksabre

The day has arrived, the leak is here. I have only had a chance to listen to a few tracks on youtube while working so far, but I'm loving The Wreckers, Seven Cities of Gold and The Anarchist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvjqCOFESuo

looks like a lot of the clockwork angels vids are getting pulled. there was one that was the whole CD. it's gone. lots of individual tracks are gone.

no matter. TPB has it, and ... yah. this cd is going to dwarf anything they've ever done. period.

looks like a lot of the clockwork angels vids are getting pulled. there was one that was the whole CD. it's gone. lots of individual tracks are gone.

no matter. TPB has it, and ... yah. this cd is going to dwarf anything they've ever done. period.

I've listened to the whole album twice and yes it's damn good, but way too early to say it beats Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, 2112 or Hemispheres in my book. I need to digest it a little more. The Garden is awesome.

I've listened to the whole album twice and yes it's damn good, but way too early to say it beats Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, 2112 or Hemispheres in my book. I need to digest it a little more. The Garden is awesome.

okay, let me caveat that by saying "in my opinion ..." so far, i've listened to it 4 times the whole way through (great time filler while waiting for the clouds to break so i can get pics of the venus transit). it got better with each listen. the cds you mentioned are great. they're classics. this new cd is simply epic. the scale of *everything* on this is just huge. the garden is amazing. clockwork angels is absolutetly mind-bending. even carnies, which when i read the title caused me a little panic, is a) not at all what i expected, b) quickly becoming one of my favorites on the new cd.

my wife was listening to it with me. when 'clockwork angels' playing, even she noted, "holy crap--they don't mess around with their time signature and key changes, do they?" then that riff that COMPLETELY reminds me of "The Grand Finale" from 2112 (completely appropriate, if you look at the cover of CA), and even she said, "hey ... that sounds like something else they've done. is that from another CD?"

let's just say that it was a *very* good afternoon. :)

okay, let me caveat that by saying "in my opinion ..." so far, i've listened to it 4 times the whole way through (great time filler while waiting for the clouds to break so i can get pics of the venus transit). it got better with each listen. the cds you mentioned are great. they're classics. this new cd is simply epic. the scale of *everything* on this is just huge. the garden is amazing. clockwork angels is absolutetly mind-bending. even carnies, which when i read the title caused me a little panic, is a) not at all what i expected, b) quickly becoming one of my favorites on the new cd.

my wife was listening to it with me. when 'clockwork angels' playing, even she noted, "holy crap--they don't mess around with their time signature and key changes, do they?" then that riff that COMPLETELY reminds me of "The Grand Finale" from 2112 (completely appropriate, if you look at the cover of CA), and even she said, "hey ... that sounds like something else they've done. is that from another CD?"

let's just say that it was a *very* good afternoon. :)

Ok, another full album listen in (and multiple repeats of some favorite tracks) and it's nudging closer to, if not surpassing some of those classics. At the very least it's the best work from them in 25-30 years. What an amazing piece of work, three guys approaching 60 years of age should not being making masterpiece rock albums like this. I got tired of the Rush in the RnR HOF debate a decade ago, but if they do ever get the nod I hope they just politely say "thanks, but no thanks".

Ok, another full album listen in (and multiple repeats of some favorite tracks) and it's nudging closer to, if not surpassing some of those classics. At the very least it's the best work from them in 25-30 years. What an amazing piece of work, three guys approaching 60 years of age should not being making masterpiece rock albums like this. I got tired of the Rush in the RnR HOF debate a decade ago, but if they do ever get the nod I hope they just politely say "thanks, but no thanks".

i'm about 10 listens in. hey, i have nothing to do at work right now, and we're in that "ebb" phase where nothing's coming in, so i sit here and listen. at first i was focusing on just the music. there's no other way to put it: it's jaw-dropping. there's a sonic dynamic range to this album that they haven't had since "hold your fire." the string arrangements on "the garden" are haunting, but flip a 180 and the guitars on "seven cities of gold" and "carnies" is gut-punching. the dire, frantic and phrenetic intro to "clockwork angels" conjures up memories of pink floyd's "one of these days," yet we're whisked away on some melodic interlude for about half a minute until guitars rip your ears apart in riffs that reminisce of "grand finale" from 2112.

no, this thing is their masterpiece, in my opinion. their classics will always be their classics and their building blocks that got them to this precise stage, where they *can* write this kind of music.

i cannot quit this cd.

i'm about 10 listens in. hey, i have nothing to do at work right now, and we're in that "ebb" phase where nothing's coming in, so i sit here and listen. at first i was focusing on just the music. there's no other way to put it: it's jaw-dropping. there's a sonic dynamic range to this album that they haven't had since "hold your fire." the string arrangements on "the garden" are haunting, but flip a 180 and the guitars on "seven cities of gold" and "carnies" is gut-punching. the dire, frantic and phrenetic intro to "clockwork angels" conjures up memories of pink floyd's "one of these days," yet we're whisked away on some melodic interlude for about half a minute until guitars rip your ears apart in riffs that reminisce of "grand finale" from 2112.

no, this thing is their masterpiece, in my opinion. their classics will always be their classics and their building blocks that got them to this precise stage, where they *can* write this kind of music.

i cannot quit this cd.

Have you seen the lyrics and liner notes are up? It makes the story flow much better with Neil's 2-3 sentence intro to each song...

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/albums-clockworkangels.php

New Grace Potter album. Can listen to it in its entirety on FB. https://www.facebook...pp_178091127385

They seem to be getting away from the sound that led me to them. I'm sure it'll be a huge seller for them though.

The only song on the album that I really dig is the last one, The Divide. It's *mostly* got that powerful sound that drew me to the band. The rest of the stuff is that not-quite-country, not-quite-pop, not-quite-dance, safe for MTV and families, insipid corporate crap that so many bands that become mainstream get forced into. I was expecting better from this band. Sheryl Crow 2.0

Had to listen to Weezer Hashpipe to get it out of my head. :P

Edited by weave

OK, after listening to both CD's, the Rush CD is good. Not great. But pretty damned good. Headlong Flight is the class of the album. Style-wise it straddles Rush's early stuff and later music. Glad I got it.

But what I am really digging tonight (after a 750mL of Ommegang Rare Vos and a couple glasses of Four Roses Single Barrel) is Slash'es new album featuring Miles Kennedy and The Conspirators. Who? Yeah, if you dig early Guns n Roses you'll be all over this new album from Slash. Really rocks hard.

OK, after listening to both CD's, the Rush CD is good. Not great. But pretty damned good. Headlong Flight is the class of the album. Style-wise it straddles Rush's early stuff and later music. Glad I got it.

But what I am really digging tonight (after a 750mL of Ommegang Rare Vos and a couple glasses of Four Roses Single Barrel) is Slash'es new album featuring Miles Kennedy and The Conspirators. Who? Yeah, if you dig early Guns n Roses you'll be all over this new album from Slash. Really rocks hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1H4QwS51Q

Give the Rush CD a few more spins. As is common with Rush releases it takes a bit to digest and take hold. I was about where you are after a listen or two. Good, not great. After about five listens I was convinced it was among their best. The Anarchist, Carnies, Clockwork Angles, Seven Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well and most of all The Garden are all Rush classics.

I heard Slash get interviewed on Stern a few weeks ago, I do need to pick his CD up for a listen.

Edited by Claude_Verret

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1H4QwS51Q

Give the Rush CD a few more spins. As is common with Rush releases it takes a bit to digest and take hold. I was about where you are after a listen or two. Good, not great. After about five listens I was convinced it was among their best. The Anarchist, Carnies, Clockwork Angles, Seven Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well and most of all The Garden are all Rush classics.

I heard Slash get interviewed on Stern a few weeks ago, I do need to pick his CD up for a listen.

just my $.02, but i've never had my jaw come unhinged like it did when i first heard the intro to "clockwork angels". i agree with CV's list, and i can see where weave is coming from with his favorite track, but for me, it's the title track.

and definitely give it a few more spins. listening to it even a few times doesn't allow you the time to digest the whole thing. this cd is meaty, linear, and incredibly deep. my first few times through, i listened to it for just the music. after i was comfortable with that, i perused the lyrics, and that's when the whole cd really began to click for me.

never really heard any of slash's solo stuff. not out of purpose ... just haven't sought it out. might have to give it a spin.

Big topic of discussion last night with friends.

Is Bon Jovi considered Hard-Rock or Heavy Metal?

I say NO and NO! They are a Rock Band, not easy listening, not Hard Rock either.

Any opinions?

Nowadays? Country.

Never heavy metal. Maybe thought of as hard rock at some point. Rock covers it.

Big topic of discussion last night with friends.

Is Bon Jovi considered Hard-Rock or Heavy Metal?

I say NO and NO! They are a Rock Band, not easy listening, not Hard Rock either.

Any opinions?

Pop-Rock.

But I would just go with Awful.