You want a very good reason why the Sabres missed the playoffs...

LabattBlue

The problem with missing by just a few points is that there are a hundred different reasons why we missed the playoffs. Heck, the flu that went through the locker room may have cost them a game or two. That's what happens when you're average. You do a lot of things right and just as many things wrong, each of which can be the difference between squeaking in or just missing.

The problem with missing by just a few points is that there are a hundred different reasons why we missed the playoffs. Heck, the flu that went through the locker room may have cost them a game or two. That's what happens when you're average. You do a lot of things right and just as many things wrong, each of which can be the difference between squeaking in or just missing.

Perfect.

I caught a re-airing of a press conference that Lindy did a week or so ago on NHL Home Ice on XM. He said that he never uses illness and injury as an excuse for his team's performance.

Every team battles through this kind of stuff. It just boils down to who has the bigger will to win games.

Hecht should be thankful that he doesn't have to do a stint in Mannheim prison.

Could not have said it any better.

More like bad defence, and a very inconsistent offence. Even in the time that Miller was gone, the goaltending wasn't horrible, it just didn't get the offensive support to win. You can't expect your goaltender to pitch shutouts, or 1 goal games every single night, something that Hasek spoiled us with while he was here. The team was supposed to be built to play a "high octane" offensive system that makes up for weaker defence.

There were too many players who needed and were expected to step up to the next level for them to be competitive, but didn't. They were already playing a system that is not working well in the "New Old NHL" so having these players regress/stay the same didn't help

There needs to be a bit of an overhaul of the roster this offseason if they expect to move up and back into the playoffs, and thas going to involve more then just bringing up a couple of AHLers to replace departing veterans. Unfortnatly, thats not Regiers style

Hecht, Pomminstein, Roy, Stafford and Tallinder - whiffed on every one of these guys. Hopefully they are all gone next year as their decision to show up when THEY want to is unccaceptable. Garbage players with garbage attitudes....At least they have not signed Stafford

Hecht, Pomminstein, Roy, Stafford and Tallinder - whiffed on every one of these guys. Hopefully they are all gone next year as their decision to show up when THEY want to is unccaceptable. Garbage players with garbage attitudes....At least they have not signed Stafford

While I agree that each had a season that left much to be desired, I'll be surprised if even one of them does not return next year. No one is going to take Hecht's contract off of our hands under any circumstances. The same is probably true of Pommer at this point, although he could redeem himself with a 30-goal, 75-point year next year. Darcy isn't going to give up on Roy or Stafford unless it's part of a package trade for a real star player -- and I don't see Darcy making a splashy move for a $7MM player. I could see someone taking Tallinder, but he's going into the last year of his contract, so we wouldn't get much value for him -- and since we're probably losing Teppo and Spacek, I think Darcy will be reluctant to add to the turnover on D.

Without looking at any numbers - I'll blame it on any points lost in games where either they had a 3 goal lead any time in the game or any game they had a 2 goal lead going into the third period.

If someone wants to see how many points they lost with that (and how many they gave to any team directly above them) I would be thankful!

Without looking at any numbers - I'll blame it on any points lost in games where either they had a 3 goal lead any time in the game or any game they had a 2 goal lead going into the third period.

If someone wants to see how many points they lost with that (and how many they gave to any team directly above them) I would be thankful!

It seemed like many, I'd guess 5 or 6. Also, losing points in 14 games to bottom teams didn't help.

Whatever number it is, it only needed to be one or two more wins. :death:

fixed.

We were in sixth place at one time, losing to teams in 12, 14, 15 th place. We are by no means a bottom team. It may feel bad emotionally for all right now but as bad as you think we are, there are teams that really suck pucks.

Roy, Pomminstein and Stafford are 1,2 and 4 in points on this team. Also a -5,-3, +3 in +/- . I'll agree that they all had down years but for all the stuff Pomminstein got for not scoring like he should I feel like he put out double in assists. I'm not opposed to keeping all of them but the droughts have to stop and Roy has to learn how to stay on his feet. Atleast with these players there is hope. Hecht and Tallinder however, god awful. I could almost argue that Peters brings more to the table than Jochen, scratch almost.

Archived