In a league of nations...

PASabreFan

Viewers had the rare treat of listening to the anthems the other night against Florida, followed by Ronan Tynan and "God Bless America." While they panned the players on the bench during Tynan's performance, it seemed awkward. Players from Russia and Finland and Sweden and Austria and the Czech Republic and Germany and on and on have to stand politely and honor the U.S. and Canada. I would propose that next season, the Sabres play the national anthems of all of their players once during the season. Just swap out Oh Canada on those occasions. I think it would be damn cool, and don't tell me it wouldn't fire up a lot of the "foreign" players.

Viewers had the rare treat of listening to the anthems the other night against Florida, followed by Ronan Tynan and "God Bless America." While they panned the players on the bench during Tynan's performance, it seemed awkward. Players from Russia and Finland and Sweden and Austria and the Czech Republic and Germany and on and on have to stand politely and honor the U.S. and Canada. I would propose that next season, the Sabres play the national anthems of all of their players once during the season. Just swap out Oh Canada on those occasions. I think it would be damn cool, and don't tell me it wouldn't fire up a lot of the "foreign" players.

The Sabres play both the American and Canadian Anthems to show respect for the fact that both nations are represented in their fanbase. It has nothing to do with the athletes themselves. I'm sure that someone can say it better then I just did but while it would be neat to hear some of the other anthems, I for one wouldn't want to do it at the expense of the Canadian anthem.

On a side note, if they (the foreign players) need to hear their anthem to fire them up, they really are as heartless as they have been portrayed in certain posts.

The Sabres play both the American and Canadian Anthems to show respect for the fact that both nations are represented in their fanbase.

Really? I haven't watched an away game live since I went to Montreal several years ago (too long ago and too much beer to remember what they played), so I don't know what other teams do, but I had always been under the impression that teams played both the American and Canadian national anthems because those are the two countries that have NHL franchises. I thought it was a league-wide thing.

Edit: it appears that I am correct

The idea of playing the anthem at hockey games began in 1946 to show respect for the players returning from the Second World War. At the time, only the home anthem was played.

In the 1960s, both anthems were played. In 1987, the NHL introduced a rule saying that both the Canadian and American anthems have to be performed before each game.

A collection of Slovakian folk songs to replace the piped-in North American crap once a year?

If the anthems are just a nod to the fan base, then remember we are a nation of immigrants. Even if it's the presentation of the particular nation's flag at ice level, or the flags of all nations represented on the team hanging from the rafters, I just think it's important for the Sabres and the NHL to do a better job of recognizing the fact this is such an international game.

I suspect there are still enough East-West tensions, and enough fear of alienating the good ole xenophobic North American fan base (see Tom's comment), that my idea would never be implemented.

I think the fans would seriously "boo"

I can't stand Ronan Tynan

Really? I haven't watched an away game live since I went to Montreal several years ago (too long ago and too much beer to remember what they played), so I don't know what other teams do, but I had always been under the impression that teams played both the American and Canadian national anthems because those are the two countries that have NHL franchises. I thought it was a league-wide thing.

I guess you learn something new each day. I know when they started playing both anthems from the beginning, they were one of the few teams to do so. I guess I slept through 1987.

Teams located in the US play the US anthem. Teams that play in Canada, play the Canadian anthem. If a US team travels to Canada, they play both. Same with the US.... it's in the rules. However, Buffalo does play both to honour the Sabres fans who travel from Canada. I don't have a link or anything but it was once a hot topic on WNSA on a slow day.

1. As far as I know, only Buffalo and Detroit play both anthems for every game. (When teams from both the US and Canada are playing the same game, all arenas play both anthems; otherwise, it's just the two border cities.) I've been to games in various sports in NY, DC, Montreal, Chicago, and Toronto, and they only play both anthems if the teams are from different countries. Specific to the NHL, I've been to US-only games in Chicago, DC, and NYC, and there is no "O Canada" going on. And if you watch HNiC, there is no US anthem during, say, an Oilers-Flames game.

2. I'm not unpatriotic, but did it ever seem silly to anyone else that we play anthems before league games? Do they do this in Europe? It makes sense in multinational tournaments, but why do we do it before regular games in any sport? Do we play anthems before gallery openings? Symphonies and plays? We're all used to it, but it is a little weird when you think about it. Why sports?

A few years back, the Sabres did honor their players' nationalities with a pregame ceremony where they had ~8 kids skate around the ice with a flag representing each nationality on the Sabres roster. IIRC, this happened late in the '05-'06 season, but I might have the year wrong. I'd expect Tom W. could confirm the season. It was a nice gesture by the team and it didn't take away from either anthem that was sung that night. I'd like to see that done again, I'd be of the opinion that performing an extra anthem once every 5 or so games is excessive and replacing the Canadian anthem that often is disrespectful to our loyal Canadian bretheren.

I went to a Habs - Otters game in the '90's and I'd swear that they only played the Canadian anthem that night. And I don't recall hearing O Canada in '01 when I saw the Stars play the Kings. Not saying you're wrong, just saying I'd like to see the rule that the article referenced because I have a lot of (poor) anecdotal evidence that it is only a requirement to play both anthems when a team from each country is participating in that particular game.

Teams located in the US play the US anthem. Teams that play in Canada, play the Canadian anthem. If a US team travels to Canada, they play both. Same with the US.... it's in the rules. However, Buffalo does play both to honour the Sabres fans who travel from Canada. I don't have a link or anything but it was once a hot topic on WNSA on a slow day.

That's the way I've always understood the rule.

1. As far as I know, only Buffalo and Detroit play both anthems for every game. (When teams from both the US and Canada are playing the same game, all arenas play both anthems; otherwise, it's just the two border cities.) I've been to games in various sports in NY, DC, Montreal, Chicago, and Toronto, and they only play both anthems if the teams are from different countries. Specific to the NHL, I've been to US-only games in Chicago, DC, and NYC, and there is no "O Canada" going on. And if you watch HNiC, there is no US anthem during, say, an Oilers-Flames game.

More anecdotal evidence suggesting the reporter Carp referenced didn't have it quite exactly correct.

A few years back, the Sabres did honor their players' nationalities with a pregame ceremony where they had ~8 kids skate around the ice with a flag representing each nationality on the Sabres roster. IIRC, this happened late in the '05-'06 season, but I might have the year wrong.

It was to honor the Olympians on the team for Torino in 2006.

Wow....LOVE IT! Only I wouldn't swap out Oh Canada. We have tons of Canadian fans and I don't think the extra 2 minutes for that song is going to kill anyone. And making it a theme for the night would be awesome too. Maybe instead of blasting CottonEye Joe or the rest of the usual scoreboard crap, they could give us something that has to do with that country a few times during the night. Anything to change things up and make each game a little more different and special during the long season would be nice.

I would propose that next season, the Sabres play the national anthems of all of their players once during the season.

I would propose that every NHL team play every national anthem of every player on their roster, that way they can play 40 minutes of music and just eliminate the first period all together.

The Sabres play both the American and Canadian Anthems to show respect for the fact that both nations are represented in their fanbase. It has nothing to do with the athletes themselves. I'm sure that someone can say it better then I just did but while it would be neat to hear some of the other anthems, I for one wouldn't want to do it at the expense of the Canadian anthem.

On a side note, if they (the foreign players) need to hear their anthem to fire them up, they really are as heartless as they have been portrayed in certain posts.

The NHL has teams located in the States as well as Canada, hence the playing of both anthems. Typically, but not all the time, only both are played when a Canadian team is involved in the game.

I would propose that every NHL team play every national anthem of every player on their roster, that way they can play 40 minutes of music and just eliminate the first period all together.

I would propose that Ingrid Smolinska sing each anthem.

The Sabres are the only team in the NHL which plays both National Anthems regardless of who is playing. The only time a Canadian team plays the US anthem is if they are playing a US team. The only time a US team plays the Cdn anthem is if a Cdn team is playing them.

The Sabres do it for all 41 home games and I think that is cool, being a Canadian.

The Sabres are the only team in the NHL which plays both National Anthems regardless of who is playing. The only time a Canadian team plays the US anthem is if they are playing a US team. The only time a US team plays the Cdn anthem is if a Cdn team is playing them.

The Sabres do it for all 41 home games and I think that is cool, being a Canadian.

We sing your anthem, you send us your beer. May we always be friends.

Rick-are you sure the Red Wings don't also do this?

The Red Wings do it as well. Being American, I, too, think it's cool.

Archived