GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I thought they were better than decent. Quinn didn't try to "wow" us with his knowledge of hockey terms and DeBrusk just called it like he saw it. They were actually complimenting the visiting team on the things they were doing right and taking shots at their "own team" when they did stuff (well...everything) wrong.

Impressive. I'd love to hear these guys some more to make sure they weren't trying to impress the MSG audience, but if they were doing so, they would've turned me off.

On top of that, they had the correct pronunciation of players name..

Looking at the replays and I've got to give a shout out to Timmay on Stafford's last goal.

The General behind the net, tosses it out front and Connolly's got the shot but gives it back to Drew so he can get his hat trick. Nice.

Little did he know that he would get a shorty later, so could have had a hat trick of his own. Seriously, though, that was a pretty play.

Are two people on here seriously ready to throw Paille under the bus because of that game last night?

No but I thought you have to admit that getting 0 points and a minus in a 10-2 blowout is statistically weird. I think Danny needs a stint in the AHL (maybe a bogus conditioning assignment). His game is not where it needs to be for this team to reach it's potential.

Wow! I did not expect to see a score like that when I woke up this morning. I decided sleep was important last night, but now I wish I watched a good portion of the blow out. Stafford is laying his claim as to why he should be locked as a Sabre. Paille's done in Buffalo. He showed so much potential or a change in his game at the beginning of the season. Boy, did that not last. I can't believe somebody could pull that hard of a 180.

Ya... How does one lay a -1 in a 10-2 romp?

:wallbash: :wallbash:

No but I thought you have to admit that getting 0 points and a minus in a 10-2 blowout is statistically weird. I think Danny needs a stint in the AHL (maybe a bogus conditioning assignment). His game is not where it needs to be for this team to reach it's potential.

I'm pretty sure he'd need to clear waivers to go down to Portland, so it ain't happening.

Having said that, I see healthy-scratch status for him when Kaleta and/or Max return.

Are two people on here seriously ready to throw Paille under the bus because of that game last night? A -1, big deal. Edmonton gets a goal during garbage time, which falls completely on Gragnini's shoulders, so let's blame Paille. The 4th line got essentially no ice time last night (which I don't understand), especially once Mair left the game. Those 3 players on that line were the only forwards to not record a point.

Well I can't speak for everybody, but I'm throwing Paille under the bus because he's played like absolute crap for the entire season. His only talent has been occupying space on the ice. I was only using his -1 as a point of humor. Wouldn't we be better served to give one of our prospects a try? They couldn't play any worse.

I'm pretty sure he'd need to clear waivers to go down to Portland, so it ain't happening.

Having said that, I see healthy-scratch status for him when Kaleta and/or Max return.

How about moving Gragnani to forward for a game when Sekera returns and sticking Paille in the box?

Kaleta's been gone so long I forgot he was on the team..

Kaleta's been gone so long I forgot he was on the team..

Funny, I was thinking something similar about Max...he has been such a non-factor over the last couple years that I didn't even realize he was IR'ed at the beginning of the month.

I probably should have noticed the sudden decrease in turnovers by the forwards, though...

9 of the goals came from either the top 2 lines or the powerplay. Only the 2nd goal, Paetsch's shot from the point, came from while a different line (the 3rd) was on the ice. The 4th line got around 8-9 minutes of ice time, which had a bit to do with Mair taking that puck off the foot. So really, it's not all that hard for some guys who aren't on the ice all that much to put up 0 points and a minus 1. You'll pretty much always find guys like this in every blowout game. Sure, you said he's not where he needs to be for this team to reach it's potential, but I'd say it worked out pretty well for them last night.

People have completely unrealistic expecations of Paille. He played out of his mind and put up the best numbers he ever will last year. That's not going to happen again. He was never a big time scorer in juniors and he won't be at this level. What you should be hoping for is a guy who will be an asset defensively and throw in maybe 10-15 goals a year. I noticed that someone mentioned that they're better served bringing up one of the kids. Do you really think having a Gerbe or Kennedy (when healthy) skating 8 minutes on the 4th line will add anything extra to this team?

Since we're going to criticize people after a 10-2 win, why is Ellis exempt from that?

People have completely unrealistic expecations of Paille. He played out of his mind and put up the best numbers he ever will last year. That's not going to happen again. He was never a big time scorer in juniors and he won't be at this level. What you should be hoping for is a guy who will be an asset defensively and throw in maybe 10-15 goals a year. I noticed that someone mentioned that they're better served bringing up one of the kids. Do you really think having a Gerbe or Kennedy (when healthy) skating 8 minutes on the 4th line will add anything extra to this team?

Since we're going to criticize people after a 10-2 win, why is Ellis exempt from that?

Bravo! :worthy:

I still think that Ruff is in Paille's head and it has him messed up a little, but if Paille can be a 3rd line checking winger who can chip in with the occasional goal, bang every now and then and be an effective penalty killer, I have no problem with him remaining a Sabre.

Bravo! :worthy:

I still think that Ruff is in Paille's head and it has him messed up a little, but if Paille can be a 3rd line checking winger who can chip in with the occasional goal, bang every now and then and be an effective penalty killer, I have no problem with him remaining a Sabre.

First, Paille is pretty much what he has been for his career here. Last year was an aberration.

Second, at some point, they are going to have to decide who they can fit based on what they want the make up of this team to be. With Vanek as your number 1 left wing, you can't keep Hecht, Clarke, Paille and still have room for Gerbe and Kennedy if you think they are NHL capable. Thus it is up to the GM to decide on who he is going to keep and hopefully trade the others when their value is at its highest.

Finally,

I agree that Paille would be a perfect third line checking winger. I'm just not sure that isn't a position that is becoming extinct if you can field 2 lines of above average two way players.

9 of the goals came from either the top 2 lines or the powerplay. Only the 2nd goal, Paetsch's shot from the point, came from while a different line (the 3rd) was on the ice. The 4th line got around 8-9 minutes of ice time, which had a bit to do with Mair taking that puck off the foot. So really, it's not all that hard for some guys who aren't on the ice all that much to put up 0 points and a minus 1. You'll pretty much always find guys like this in every blowout game. Sure, you said he's not where he needs to be for this team to reach it's potential, but I'd say it worked out pretty well for them last night.

Good post, except I'm not so sure that last year was the pinnacle of his career. Paille is still just 24 with all of ~120 NHL games on his resume. Most young players are inconsistent. But if he does turn into a 3rd-line winger who is good defensively, can hit and will chip in 15 goals a year, then fans should be fine with that. Every team needs role players.

Because Ellis wasn't our first round draft pick. Ok, let's say Paille wasn't meant to be a scorer. Shouldn't he be doing SOMETHING out there? You mention him being a defensive player, but I haven't seen anything encouraging from him on the defensive end. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not, but he's practically invisible out there.

He was our first rounder in 2002, and he's mired on the 4th line. Meanwhile, our next two first rounders are Vanek and Stafford, both huge play makers. To me, that's very disappointing and he needs to step up his game or be labelled a big time bust.

Archived