I Hope The Boos For Drury

CallawaySabres

Drury played hard, scored a lot of goals and bled as a Sabre. Became a free agent. Got a contract offer that he'd be crazy not to take--icing on the cake, from his favorite team as a kid--and he took it. What's to boo?

The Sabres, to their credit, admitted not signing him was a mistake on their part as I recall.

I can move on.

That said, if someone who paid money for a ticket wants to boo him--so be it. I don't get it, but knock yourself out.

I still like Drury, I like everything about him. Fans that can't get over that he left for all of the good and logical reasons others stated above are childish. Maybe his first game back he should have been cheered than maybe boo'ed for the rest of the game. Then it should be over. He wasn't a life long Sabre ditching the team, he played his heart out for the team and its not like he screwed us over. He took more money from a team he's always wanted to play for. Also, hate to break it to some people but in "Cooler city to live": NYC>Buffalo. He wasn't just going to stay because the fans REALLY REALLY wanted him to. Save your boo's for whiney babies like Crosby, and the entire Senators roster. I think we have more reason to be angry at Briere than Drury, and I really am not that mad at him.

A little dramatic, don't you think?

But But Chris Drury is EVIL! He should have held Darcy's hand into giving him a contract sooner! He should have taken less money and stayed in Buffalo! He should have denied his dream of playing for the Rangers! DON'T YOU SEE HOW EVIL HE IS!

Because he wanted to go play for his childhood favorite team and this is why he should be boo'd?

What's wrong with you?

It's fine that he wanted to go to his childhood fave team. No problem with that. I just wish he'd told the Sabres that before they said they were choosing him over Briere.

The Sabres were pretty good to Drury. They got him out of Calgary where he hated it. He got to play in a system that made him look better than he really is and that in turn got him bigger bucks.

So boo him all you want. He could havee, should have told Buffalo he was leaving and then maybe Briere could have been retained.

Although in the end, it doesn't matter. Drury is proving he's overpaid and on the downside of his career and Briere is injured too often. I'm not unhappy they're both gone.

quite possibly one of the biggest goals in Sabres history............still gives chills!!!

Anybody who claims to hate Chris Drury clearly doesn't remember this well enough...

One of the best moments of my sports watching life...Drury will always be enshrined in my own personal hall of fame

Anybody who claims to hate Chris Drury clearly doesn't remember this well enough...

One of the best moments of my sports watching life...Drury will always be enshrined in my own personal hall of fame

:thumbsup:

He's one of my all time favorite Sabres!

What an embarassment it will be if there are several thousand monkies booing every time he touches the puck. I hate it when they do it to any player, even Chara [why boo Chara? :unsure:] and it will just seem so stupid if they did it for Drury.

I remember they were booing Ovechkin because of the hit on Briere even when they were booing Breire a few nights later because he was now a Flyer! :wallbash:

Although in the end, it doesn't matter. Drury is proving he's overpaid and on the downside of his career and Briere is injured too often. I'm not unhappy they're both gone.

Are you unhappy that we've gone from a President's trophy team to a non-playoff team as a direct result of losing them? Sorry for the wisenheimer question, and I'm not interested in revisiting the whole when-we-could've-signed-them-and-for-how-much controversy, but in retrospect letting them go in favor of keeping a bunch of mid-priced guys (i.e. kotalik, connolly, max, tallinder) was clearly an enormous blunder.

Are you unhappy that we've gone from a President's trophy team to a non-playoff team as a direct result of losing them? Sorry for the wisenheimer question, and I'm not interested in revisiting the whole when-we-could've-signed-them-and-for-how-much controversy, but in retrospect letting them go in favor of keeping a bunch of mid-priced guys (i.e. kotalik, connolly, max, tallinder) was clearly an enormous blunder.

EXACTLY..Well put.......MAny here believed the team needed to be torn down and rebuilt..Well they got theyre wish..Hope theyre happy

I don't believe we'd be any different if they were still here. Briere doesn't play as he's injured. He'd be off the ice if he hadn't moved on. Drury is in decline. Period. They didn't help get the team in the Finals, so to me it doesn't matter if we make the playoffs or finish first overall. I want the Cup. That is it.

The rest of the NHL has caught up in terms of how to play Buffalo. The NHL doesn't call games as tightly anymore either. We had a head start on the rest of the league, but now we're are too small. Surely having those two in the lineup, wouldn't make us "bigger." And I don't think their numbers would be as good as those 2 years we were a great team. No surprises anymore.

I'm not saying they couldn't be helpful, but I'm not so sure Derrick Roy is 8th in the league in scoring in the 2008 calendar year if either guy is here. I'm not sure Tallinder's game drops so drastically if they are still here.

Maybe we wouldn't have Miller or Pommers or Roy for that matter if they are still here. We'd be older, but I don't think we'd be any better for it. The team has learned to lock guys up for longer periods of time, and that is good, but not when they are on the wrong side of 30. I don't agree with that at all.

EXACTLY..Well put.......MAny here believed the team needed to be torn down and rebuilt..Well they got theyre wish..Hope theyre happy

Yep, you bet! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And the Sabres are better for it in the long run! It is all about the young stars in the system... We already have a clone of Briere in a young Gerbe (though left wing)... The center? Maybe Tyler Ennis? The organization will always be about the FUTURE and IMO, it looks very BRIGHT!

Sorry if this offends anyone, but people who believed that team needed to be torn down and rebuilt really have no clue. The core of that team was fine, it was the supporting cast that needed to be restructured.

And if anyone actually believes that "tearing this team down and rebuilding" was done BY DESIGN then they're completely delusional.

Yep, you bet! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And the Sabres are better for it in the long run! It is all about the young stars in the system... We already have a clone of Briere in a young Gerbe (though left wing)... The center? Maybe Tyler Ennis? The organization will always be about the FUTURE and IMO, it looks very BRIGHT!

LOL..you traded away one for sure and maybe two years of playoff and stanley cup contention to try and get back where you just were...In the words of the Guiness beer commercial idiots "BRILLIANT"

Sorry if this offends anyone, but people who believed that team needed to be torn down and rebuilt really have no clue. The core of that team was fine, it was the supporting cast that needed to be restructured.

And if anyone actually believes that "tearing this team down and rebuilding" was done BY DESIGN then they're completely delusional.

Exactly

I watch that video at least twice a month. It still gives me the chills (I'm actually getting them now writing about it) and I'll never forget where I was and how drunk I got after Max put in the game winner. I'm 27, not sure what the average age on this board is, but in my opinion, that is the GREATEST SPORTS MOMENT in my life time. I now have a 1 year old daughter and if you're a Hanes (family), you're born a die hard Buffalo sports fan. I CANNOT WAIT for her to understand what's going on in the video and have an idea of how excited we were when Drury put the puck home.

*I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I'm considering buying the new Sabres jersey w/ Drury's name on the back. He is one of my all time favorites Sabres. LaFontaine leads the list, though.

Always about the future? Sorry, but man that's depressing.

I watch that video at least twice a month. It still gives me the chills (I'm actually getting them now writing about it) and I'll never forget where I was and how drunk I got after Max put in the game winner. I'm 27, not sure what the average age on this board is, but in my opinion, that is the GREATEST SPORTS MOMENT in my life time. I now have a 1 year old daughter and if you're a Hanes (family), you're born a die hard Buffalo sports fan. I CANNOT WAIT for her to understand what's going on in the video and have an idea of how excited we were when Drury put the puck home.

This would make a great new topic, but looking from the late 80s to current times, for me Drury's goal would be in the middle of the pack in a second tier of Sabres moments. You're calling it the greatest sport moment, in any sport, in your lifetime. Those are strong words! Almost fightin' words.

Bigger than 51-3, 41-38, May, Plante, Grosek, Pominville

I'd put it in a sort of novelty category of moments. Hannan's OT winner, huge at the time, didn't end up meaning much after the Sabres lost Game 7. Just as Drury's goal in the big picture of 06-07 didn't mean a lot in that the Sabres fell short of their one and only goal. Barnaby's hat trick against Montreal. Woolley's goal. Ray getting the winner against the Leafs. Beating Philly 8-0. And so on.

This would make a great new topic, but looking from the late 80s to current times, for me Drury's goal would be in the middle of the pack in a second tier of Sabres moments. You're calling it the greatest sport moment, in any sport, in your lifetime. Those are strong words! Almost fightin' words.

I'd put it in a sort of novelty category of moments. Hannan's OT winner, huge at the time, didn't end up meaning much after the Sabres lost Game 7. Just as Drury's goal in the big picture of 06-07 didn't mean a lot in that the Sabres fell short of their one and only goal. Barnaby's hat trick against Montreal. Woolley's goal. Ray getting the winner against the Leafs. Beating Philly 8-0. And so on.

I am 40 and I have been through pretty much all the highs and lows of being a Buffalo Sports fan...I have been to the SuperBowls the Afc Championship games the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the CUp finals and that Drury goal is one of my favorites..The emotion leading up to the goal..The sense that the series was over feeling and then the joy of the game tying goal, snatching victory at the last possible time..I guess the hockey playoffs build more of a sense of fan ownership emotionally becasue to get where they did takes a lot of time and effort and I think you appreciate it as a fan more..At least I do....That goal ranks up there for me also..However the best feeling ever was the walk out of the arena after we beat the Leafs to got to the cup in 99...That was amazing!!!!

I'm about the same age as Thanes, so my point of reference is very similar. For me, the Drury goal is up there in Buffalo sports. 51-3 was great, but it did not have the drama built into it that Drury's goal had. 41-38 definitely did and that's definitely up there for me. I think with 41-38 and with Drury's goal it was sheer excitement of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. That's what makes those two the most exciting moments for me. May Day is also up there because while the Sabres were never in danger of losing that series the fact that they were such a huge underdog to come into that series and not only beat Boston, but sweep Boston was just absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, given the fact that Buffalo as a city has won nothing we can't look at any one moment in the grand scheme of things because if we did, none of these moments would really matter at all. I'd say these are my top 5 in order:

1. Drury goal

2. 41-38

3. Pominville goal

4. May Day

5. Connolly's tying goal in Game 1 (one of the best hockey games I've ever seen in my life)

Hannan's goal does not make it because I was unable to stay up late enough to watch it. I guess for me, I appreciate the comeback more than anything else and that's why Drury's goal is up there for me and why Connolly's goal makes my top 5. I agree, this deserves a separate topic.

*I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I'm considering buying the new Sabres jersey w/ Drury's name on the back. He is one of my all time favorites Sabres. LaFontaine leads the list, though.

No problem on the greatest sports moment, but the Drury jersey is not acceptable. Wearing a Drury jersey (and I own one) at this point is, to me anyway, the equivalent of hanging around your ex-girlfriend's house after she dumped you for the richest kid in school.

I am 40 and I have been through pretty much all the highs and lows of being a Buffalo Sports fan...I have been to the SuperBowls the Afc Championship games the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the CUp finals and that Drury goal is one of my favorites..The emotion leading up to the goal..The sense that the series was over feeling and then the joy of the game tying goal, snatching victory at the last possible time..I guess the hockey playoffs build more of a sense of fan ownership emotionally becasue to get where they did takes a lot of time and effort and I think you appreciate it as a fan more..At least I do....That goal ranks up there for me also..However the best feeling ever was the walk out of the arena after we beat the Leafs to got to the cup in 99...That was amazing!!!!

Good post. The Drury goal was incredible and, for me at the time, highly emotional. However, I now find it bittersweet in light of him bailing on us (and I completely accept that the Sabres butchered the entire situation, but still). When I watch it now it just makes me sad.

When I think of Drury, it is usually because we are getting ready to face the Rangers. I start to maybe get a little sad and think of what might have been...then the game starts and after a while I'm thinking, "Is Drury even still playing with this team"?

In other words, he has become a ghost. A non-issue. He was part of the magic of a particular Sabre team of a particular moment in time. He just seems deflated now, not very exciting, not even very good.

I can't Boo. Too much negative energy. I just cheer for my Sabres and enjoy the game.

Archived