I Hope The Boos For Drury

CallawaySabres

I don't know what it is but there is nobody in the entire NHL that I despise more than Chris Drury. Obviously I loved him when he was here but I just can't shake the feeling that he deserted this team. I don't give a crap about all that contract stuff that did or did not happen through the '06 season, HE was the one that chose to leave when it was all said and done.

He knew that the Sabres were targeting him to stay and they would have matched what the Rangers offered. He was the leader of this team and left them in the dust. The Briere thing did not bother me one bit because he did what he had to do. Nothing will change my animosity towards Drury and I just wish I could be there tonight!

Just for clarification, I never boo so this is an exception....

I don't know what it is but there is nobody in the entire NHL that I despise more than Chris Drury. Obviously I loved him when he was here but I just can't shake the feeling that he deserted this team. I don't give a crap about all that contract stuff that did or did not happen through the '06 season, HE was the one that chose to leave when it was all said and done.

He knew that the Sabres were targeting him to stay and they would have matched what the Rangers offered. He was the leader of this team and left them in the dust. The Briere thing did not bother me one bit because he did what he had to do. Nothing will change my animosity towards Drury and I just wish I could be there tonight!

Just for clarification, I never boo so this is an exception....

LOL......Get real....The team screwed him..If the owner woulda signed the deal they agreed upon the october before the season started you wouldnt be booing.. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :

LOL......Get real....The team screwed him..If the owner woulda signed the deal they agreed upon the october before the season started you wouldnt be booing.. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :

+1

I never bought that "we would have matched any Rangers offer" spin that LQ was selling, and even though I was as big a Drury fan as anyone, I don't want him at $7M.

I agree on the sentiment toward Drury, although I can't say I DESPISED the man. I didn't say I wouldn't go fishing with him. I just couldn't stand his personality. Decent player in his time in Buffalo though.

As for booing, I'd say he qualified for a one-time booing, and I'm pretty sure he already got that.

Only Sidney Crosby is boo-worthy IMHO.

Because he wanted to go play for his childhood favorite team and this is why he should be boo'd?

What's wrong with you?

I don't give a crap who his favorite team was when he was little. He was talking out of bothe sides of his mouth when he left. Maybe if he was consistent with his comments, it would be different. My reasons for disliking a player have a lot more to do with the affects on the Sabres than anything else. Like I said, my mind isn't changing on this one. I hope he gets layed out tonight.

I don't give a crap who his favorite team was when he was little. He was talking out of bothe sides of his mouth when he left. Maybe if he was consistent with his comments, it would be different. My reasons for disliking a player have a lot more to do with the affects on the Sabres than anything else. Like I said, my mind isn't changing on this one. I hope he gets layed out tonight.

Can you show one link where this is true or substantiate one thing Larry said with regard to this matter?

I agree on the sentiment toward Drury, although I can't say I DESPISED the man. I didn't say I wouldn't go fishing with him. I just couldn't stand his personality. Decent player in his time in Buffalo though.

As for booing, I'd say he qualified for a one-time booing, and I'm pretty sure he already got that.

PA, I actually agree w/ you on some thing and that is the one-time booing. Sabre fans who are still booing Drury need to drop it and show some sportsmanship. Out of curiosity, what do you not like about his personality?

Why do you have to consider Crosby boo-worthy? That makes it two things we agree upon!

It's okay to dislike a player, but it's not ok to hope he gets hurt. As much as I love hockey and as much I love the Sabres, I'll never hope a player gets hurt. Hockey is still just a game.

It's okay to dislike a player, but it's not ok to hope he gets hurt. As much as I love hockey and as much I love the Sabres, I'll never hope a player gets hurt. Hockey is still just a game.

I would never wish hurt on any player...I am just hoping he gets layed out on a nice clean hit.

Nice Lauren Wallace/Geico commercial reference.

"All I'm saying is if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall."

So if you were playing for the Flyers and had a really good season and knew you had a chance to earn a lucrative contract with your favorite childhood team, the Buffalo Sabres, you wouldn't jump at the chance? Puh-lease.

It's no different than job hunting. What if there was a company you had always wanted to work for? As a child maybe you dreamed of working for Boeing? You've worked for Curtiss-Wright for long enough that everyone there likes you and your boss has just offered you a raise. But then you get the fantasy job offer from Boeing, that company you always wanted to work for. And guess what, they want to pay you more too! Of course you take that job offer. You'd be dumb not to. Sure your current company may be hurting to find someone to replace you, but why should that be your problem. That's business!

I'm sure Drury would have been happy playing for either team. The fact is the Rangers offered him more, so that's where he went.

I'm still trying to figure out how that makes him a bad person.

I'm sure Drury would have been happy playing for either team. The fact is the Rangers offered him more, so that's where he went.

Which is fine, but someone involved in the process, should have made it clear what was going on. Darcy said they had every intention of keeping Drury, wasn't it a little late at that point? Drury said he left Buffalo because he wanted to play for his favorite childhood team, didn't he really leave because Buffalo didn't complete the deal earlier in the year?

If there's only one guy who is boo-worthy, I'd kinda lean towards Chris Neil.

As for Drury, I was sick of the hype around him when he was at BU, but I became a huge fan of his during his time in Buffalo. I don't blame him for going to the Rangers....just wish he would've stuck around.

So if you were playing for the Flyers and had a really good season and knew you had a chance to earn a lucrative contract with your favorite childhood team, the Buffalo Sabres, you wouldn't jump at the chance? Puh-lease.

It's no different than job hunting. What if there was a company you had always wanted to work for? As a child maybe you dreamed of working for Boeing? You've worked for Curtiss-Wright for long enough that everyone there likes you and your boss has just offered you a raise. But then you get the fantasy job offer from Boeing, that company you always wanted to work for. And guess what, they want to pay you more too! Of course you take that job offer. You'd be dumb not to. Sure your current company may be hurting to find someone to replace you, but why should that be your problem. That's business!

I'm still trying to figure out how that makes him a bad person.

I don't think it makes him a bad person at all but my insane/torturous love for Buffalo sports will always force me to go "anti" on anyone who disses the team here.

Which is fine, but someone involved in the process, should have made it clear what was going on. Darcy said they had every intention of keeping Drury, wasn't it a little late at that point? Drury said he left Buffalo because he wanted to play for his favorite childhood team, didn't he really leave because Buffalo didn't complete the deal earlier in the year?

We may never know for sure. The point is that Drury shouldn't be getting booed. Boo the Rangers. Boo Darcy. What Drury said about wanting to play in New York might have even been damage control for Buffalo, to put the blame on himself rather than badmouth the Sabres for not getting the deal done sooner. He could have ripped Buffalo and the Sabres organization the entire way out the door, but he didn't. So why boo him.

Um what? Why is Crosby boo-worthy and others not? I don't get it. Guys like Ovechkin. Chara. Satan.

I think the real reason Drury left the Sabres is because they did not give him a contract to sign when they had an agreement in principle in October of 2006. He only said that he signed with the Rangers because they were his favorite team growing up so as not to throw the Sabres management under the bus and publicly humiliate them. I'm sure part of it is true that he was a Rangers fan growing up, but he doesn't make those statements if the Sabres hand him a contract to sign in October of 2006. But, based on the rumors that I've read, it seemed to be Golisano who blinked with the Drury deal, but it seems like he's learned his lesson given the Miller and Pominville extensions. In fact, Golisano even said as much in the preseason press conference when he said that Quinn and Darcy really had to convince him to come around and do these type of extensions before hand. So, given that fact, it doesn't surprise me that it was Golisano that put the kibosh on the Drury extension in-season.

Either way, I wouldn't consider Drury boo-worthy. I'd consider Chris Neil, Jarkko Ruutu, and of course Chara boo-worthy. I'd throw Satan in the mix as well. And once Max leaves, he's boo-worthy. Hell, he's boo-worthy already and he plays for the Sabres right now.

But, based on the rumors that I've read, it seemed to be Golisano who blinked with the Drury deal, but it seems like he's learned his lesson given the Miller and Pominville extensions. In fact, Golisano even said as much in the preseason press conference when he said that Quinn and Darcy really had to convince him to come around and do these type of extensions before hand. So, given that fact, it doesn't surprise me that it was Golisano that put the kibosh on the Drury extension in-season.

This is my belief, too. TG is a very good businessman and his beliefs about players being on short-term extension was probably based on experience that he felt relevant. It seems that, while he still doesn't like it, he has come around to the fact that it is what you have to do in this particular business. The timing was unfortunate, but it was part of his learning curve.

I think the real reason Drury left the Sabres is because they did not give him a contract to sign when they had an agreement in principle in October of 2006. He only said that he signed with the Rangers because they were his favorite team growing up so as not to throw the Sabres management under the bus and publicly humiliate them. I'm sure part of it is true that he was a Rangers fan growing up, but he doesn't make those statements if the Sabres hand him a contract to sign in October of 2006. But, based on the rumors that I've read, it seemed to be Golisano who blinked with the Drury deal, but it seems like he's learned his lesson given the Miller and Pominville extensions. In fact, Golisano even said as much in the preseason press conference when he said that Quinn and Darcy really had to convince him to come around and do these type of extensions before hand. So, given that fact, it doesn't surprise me that it was Golisano that put the kibosh on the Drury extension in-season.

Either way, I wouldn't consider Drury boo-worthy. I'd consider Chris Neil, Jarkko Ruutu, and of course Chara boo-worthy. I'd throw Satan in the mix as well. And once Max leaves, he's boo-worthy. Hell, he's boo-worthy already and he plays for the Sabres right now.

OK, so maybe I have swayed a little bit here. Boo worthy to me

1) Neil

2) Charra

3) Ruutu

4 ) Drury ( and I probably admit that this would be in the one time boo for me). I still hope he gets boos from the crowd tonight. Hey, it's just the way it is

Archived