HELP! The PITT Pens Have Fallen

ExiledInIllinois

AND CAN'T GET UP!

Should I be laughing? Will this thread jinx the Sabres? I can't help myself!

:blush:

In all seriousness, what do most think the problem is? Goaltending??

So lets ruin out luck some more. The Habs our without Tanquay for 6 weeks. We are 7 points away from them. And were getting healthy.

I'm sorry. :death:

We dont need luck if we play like we did against the Bruins.

the Pens have no edge and no grit. AND their D isn't that great and the goaltending hasn't been there either. The 'role' players they have are NOT the same as last year... they miss Gary Roberts and Ryan Malone. When Crosby ends up having to be your 'tough guy'... things are in a sad state. Talbot can only do so much... Satan is a waste and they have had some injuries... but they don't have a TEAM, they have players.

It's crazy to see how they don't stick up for eachother and how when there is a small 'scrap' after the whistle their teammates don't even skate over to stick their nose in and keep the peace... I've seen players skate by teammates that were getting pushed and punched after the whistle just so they could go to the bench quicker. It's a strange state.

Anyone see the game last night? Cindy was in the box more than on the ice!

I didn't watch it all the way through, but each time I flipped over, the Penguins looked lifeless. Not that the Rangers looked like world-beaters, either. Aside from the VS announcers, it was really a painful game to watch on both sides.

I agree with TM8....their key role players are gone. No Malone, no Roberts, no Recchi, and no Gonchar. It's a different team than a year ago. Replacing those guys with Miro Satan and a couple of young defenseman won't exactly cut it.

the Pens have no edge and no grit. AND their D isn't that great and the goaltending hasn't been there either. The 'role' players they have are NOT the same as last year... they miss Gary Roberts and Ryan Malone. When Crosby ends up having to be your 'tough guy'... things are in a sad state. Talbot can only do so much... Satan is a waste and they have had some injuries... but they don't have a TEAM, they have players.

It's crazy to see how they don't stick up for eachother and how when there is a small 'scrap' after the whistle their teammates don't even skate over to stick their nose in and keep the peace... I've seen players skate by teammates that were getting pushed and punched after the whistle just so they could go to the bench quicker. It's a strange state.

That sounds familiar.

Must admit, this has been one of the more surprising developments this year. Still think they will be there at the end. You know Shero won't stand pat..

I just wonder how much they have left to make a move that comes anywhere near what they did last year.

Must admit, this has been one of the more surprising developments this year. Still think they will be there at the end. You know Shero won't stand pat..

Change is not always good. Hopefully the Pens will make some panic moves that will weaken them.

Everyone says that we have too many role players and not enough stars. Why don't we trade a couple of those for Staal? :thumbsup:

I would trade quite a few of our guys for Staal, but I'd be shocked if Pittsburgh traded him.

Separately: I clicked into this thread hoping to see an anti-Pittsburgh rant from that poster (can't remember who) who goes crazy every time Pittsburgh is mentioned because his inlaws live there, etc. -- where is he?

I would trade quite a few of our guys for Staal, but I'd be shocked if Pittsburgh traded him.

If the cap does indeed go down a bit in two years like they're suggesting, Pittsburgh's going to have to do something. They already have over $30 million a year invested in Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, and Orpik. If they want anything resembling depth, they'd probably be best served moving one of the big two. In terms of marketability though, those two fill seats and bring in a ton of money.

If the cap does indeed go down a bit in two years like they're suggesting, Pittsburgh's going to have to do something. They already have over $30 million a year invested in Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, and Orpik. If they want anything resembling depth, they'd probably be best served moving one of the big two. In terms of marketability though, those two fill seats and bring in a ton of money.

I would dump Fleury before I unloaded Staal. Of course, it will most likely be harder to trade Fleury, so you may be right.

I would dump Fleury before I unloaded Staal. Of course, it will most likely be harder to trade Fleury, so you may be right.

And then they're left with nothing in net unless the answer is in house (which I don't believe it is). They'd then have to turn around and either trade for a goalie or sign one. Either way, that still adds more money. I'm not sure how that team could do that, retain all 3 and then have anything resembling depth.

I can't wait until the aftermath of the salary boom in the NHL. Please let it happen.

I love the Pens current situation. I hope they keep up with it - it's SOooo satisfying to see the NHL's proclaimed golden boy get frustrated and throw his hissy fits. Hopefully sooner than later he'll bug the wrong guy on the wrong night and wind up getting his cocky little ass handed to him on a composite platter.

Separately: I clicked into this thread hoping to see an anti-Pittsburgh rant from that poster (can't remember who) who goes crazy every time Pittsburgh is mentioned because his inlaws live there, etc. -- where is he?

Ah yes, this thread needs a classic rant about Pittsburgh from Sabretooth73.

I love the Pens current situation. I hope they keep up with it - it's SOooo satisfying to see the NHL's proclaimed golden boy get frustrated and throw his hissy fits. Hopefully sooner than later he'll bug the wrong guy on the wrong night and wind up getting his cocky little ass handed to him on a composite platter.

Haha, this thread is very necessary, and timely. The following is an excerpt of an (slightly buzzed) email I wrote in reply to my roommate (a Caps fan) wondering if I'd like to go to the Caps@Pens game with him next week:

"

In.

Also, watch this pu$$y cheapshot Mclean Saturday. Can't wait til someone just goes f#cking ape-#%^$#! and beats the living snot out of his punk-a$$:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3RfDTNM4q8...feature=related

(Don't forget to turn on the sound so you can hear the brainless homers Steigerwalt and Mike Lange sound stupid as f#ck.)

He also lives with the owner and his daddy gives him a ride to (or attends) his practices everyday. No wonder your sh!t-a$$ team is in 9th with an immature sissy b!tch as your captain. Also, great game tonight! Loved the boos from the MSG fans!

"

And yes, it's good to the Pens struggling. However, you know that they won't keep falling; they'll be right in the thick of things come April.

Anyone see the game last night? Cindy was in the box more than on the ice!

Defintely melting down under the pressure and as someone said in another post or thread he has allot of growing up to do. That should start with him getting his own place and stop living with the owner.

That is true and I agree you will see this team make some moves..

I just wonder how much they have left to make a move that comes anywhere near what they did last year.

The one move being talked about round here is Staal, kind aka Brian campbell scenario.

Everyone says that we have too many role players and not enough stars. Why don't we trade a couple of those for Staal? :thumbsup:

Word is he actually is one commodity they have that is tradeable, he's a FA after this season that could command big bucks or more than what Pgh is willing to pay so why not trade him for something to acquire obviously what is now some missing pieces...

It things do not turn around quick and even very possibly if they do I would be shocked if they do not trade him before they lose him in free agency and get nothing for him. Remember were talking about Shero here not DR..

Otherwise known as the "Satan Affect."

GO SABRES!!!

Thats funny because I remember trying to tell some die hard Pens fans I work with about him when they got him this off season but they were not buying it, now they are trying to buy him a ticket outta town..... Priceless

The one move being talked about round here is Staal, kind aka Brian campbell scenario.

Word is he actually is one commodity they have that is tradeable, he's a FA after this season that could command big bucks or more than what Pgh is willing to pay so why not trade him for something to acquire obviously what is now some missing pieces...

It things do not turn around quick and even very possibly if they do I would be shocked if they do not trade him before they lose him in free agency and get nothing for him. Remember were talking about Shero here not DR..

Staal is restricted after this season, not unrestricted. So even if someone else signs him and Pittsburgh chooses not to match, Pittsburgh gets 4 1st-rounders (assuming it's a big contract). If they do match, say, a $6MM contract, they have 14 skaters plus Fleury under contract for a $43MM total cap hit. Since they're at a $56MM cap hit this year, that gives them $13MM to sign another 6 skaters plus a backup goalie. That is plenty of cash.

Staal is restricted after this season, not unrestricted. So even if someone else signs him and Pittsburgh chooses not to match, Pittsburgh gets 4 1st-rounders (assuming it's a big contract). If they do match, say, a $6MM contract, they have 14 skaters plus Fleury under contract for a $43MM total cap hit. Since they're at a $56MM cap hit this year, that gives them $13MM to sign another 6 skaters plus a backup goalie. That is plenty of cash.

The bigger debate with Staal is just how good he is or can become. He had a great rookie year and a largely forgettable second year. This year so far has been about average and if you take away 2 games that ocurred within 3 days of each other, he has 6 goals 4 assists and is a minus 11.

Unless he has a huge second half, i'd be surprised to see him receive a huge deal especially if the cap remains flat in 09 and is still projected to fall significantly in 2010.

Archived