GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

The NHL rulebook states that the determination of whether it's over the crossbar is where the puck hits the stick. I agree with PA...the angles I saw are too close to call. What I don't know is what St. Pierre initially called on the ice. Best I can determine, he didn't cal lanything and decided to send it right upstairs and subsequently to Toronto.

The call was a goal, if that's what you mean.

I agree with ink, it was too close to call based on the views and I have no problem losing like that.

My problem, as someone else stated earlier, is that Tallinder didn't do anything to prevent this. He's become quite the vag. the last year and a half and frankly I'm sick of it. It's starting to spread to other guys. I think we're really in trouble with our D when Rivet is out. Lydman is playing the right side and barely getting by, Teppo has confirmed that he really DOES smoke, Tallinder flat out sucks, and Spacek can't score and can't check all of a sudden. Good thing Butler is playing as well as he is. Peters looked great tonight....

....on the bench drinking Gatorade. He's F'n worthless, in every sense of the word. Him and Max should start their own business together. They would make a killing outside the arena pushing fake purses..........B*TCHES

Peters looked great tonight....

....on the bench drinking Gatorade. He's F'n worthless, in every sense of the word. Him and Max should start their own business together. They would make a killing outside the arena pushing fake purses..........B*TCHES

At least everyone knows Peters can't play hockey.

There are still people who think Max can, which quite frankly scares the living bejesus out of me.

Goal, no goal...who cares? If that one didn't count the next one would have. Overtime is about man to man hockey. Our best four against your best four. Why were the Sabres still playing the same system in OT that they do in regulation(I can't stand watching it in reg. either). They all collapse on the puck, like a broomball game, that leaves the points wide open to keep the puck in our zone time after time and sending haymaker after haymaker on net. Who cares about leaving the defensive zone with speed if you can't leave the defensive zone.

I am so sick of hearing about getting in lanes. After games players say, "we didn't get in passing lanes", "we didn't get in shooting lanes"...how about putting a body on a body so that the guy can't make the pass or shot.

After seeing it again, I am starting to doubt your skills of perception. Crosby hits the puck about sternum high. It's way way too close to call.

What's bugging me is -- what was the call on the ice?

OK, one last time on this. My vague recollection of biology says the sternum is the bone that runs across the top of your chest which as far as I can tell is at about the same level of your arm pit and a random check of the six people I was with put that at about 15" below the top of the head.

If Crosby is 6'3" on skates that puts the stick at 5' high. Even if you give a margin of error of 6", it is still too high and in fact not even all that close.

Crosby, himself, basically admitted it himself unwittingly after the game. He said he knew his top hand was over the bar but because he had the stick pointed down and hit the puck with the blade and not the shaft he felt it was good. Problem was the stick wasn't pointed down and he didn't hit it with the blade. There is no doubt that there is no angle that gives conclusive evidence but simple deductive logic would put it at 2 to 6 inches above the cross bar. Again this has been a simple exercise and the amazing phenomenon of my tag line.

Finally, I am not blaming this for the loss. They lost for the reason they usually lose. Same guys making the same mistakes.

OK, one last time on this. My vague recollection of biology says the sternum is the bone that runs across the top of your chest which as far as I can tell is at about the same level of your arm pit and a random check of the six people I was with put that at about 15" below the top of the head.

If Crosby is 6'3" on skates that puts the stick at 5' high. Even if you give a margin of error of 6", it is still too high and in fact not even all that close.

Crosby, himself, basically admitted it himself unwittingly after the game. He said he knew his top hand was over the bar but because he had the stick pointed down and hit the puck with the blade and not the shaft he felt it was good. Problem was the stick wasn't pointed down and he didn't hit it with the blade. There is no doubt that there is no angle that gives conclusive evidence but simple deductive logic would put it at 2 to 6 inches above the cross bar. Again this has been a simple exercise and the amazing phenomenon of my tag line.

Finally, I am not blaming this for the loss. They lost for the reason they usually lose. Same guys making the same mistakes.

I caught that too. Also caught VS not catching it. Robi would have been all over that.

Still sayin' Hecht (Kotalik?), Max and a pick or two for Spezza.

I caught that too. Also caught VS not catching it. Robi would have been all over that.

Still sayin' Hecht (Kotalik?), Max and a pick or two for Spezza.

I'd be beyond ecstatic if that happend, but Darcy, nickname for Larry Quinn, would not allow that to happen. That trade would help both organizations...the Sabres would get the FAR better end of the deal. It'd mainly help Ottawa by freeing up cap space.

You actually measured the people you were with? That's a funny image.

No, the sternum is the breast bone. You might be thinking of the clavicle. Whatever, my choice of sternum was a bad one. I was thinking of the area at the bottom of the sternum, like where you would put your hand to start CPR.

My head hurts today.

Actually, I think you're onto something. The league office should have a chart of players' heights handy. And in training camp, all players should be measured from top of head to armpit. Tom is the logical candidate for the job. Then, when calls like this come up, it's just a matter of having a little card with a sliding scale on it with a shaded area for good goals. Brilliant!

It was a good goal. You are too tangled up to admit it. If Vanek scores it at the other end and they take it away, you're at Gates today recovering from a stroke.

I think the vast majority of hockey fans would call Crosby a great player and Vanek a very good one. What's the difference between them? Skill? I doubt it. It's an intangible. It's scoring that goal on national TV in overtime in a fairly significant game on the road for your struggling team. If you can find a Vanek moment like that, let's hear it.

And this is what they call a "moment of clarity".

I know it's wishful thinking, but the Sabres could really use Connolly back in the lineup. :)

5-minute major and a game misconduct.

Hecht (Kotalik?), Max and a pick or two for Spezza.

Just sayin'.

I'd do that in a heartbeat, but old Marbles wouldn't go near it.

The call was a goal, if that's what you mean.

I agree with ink, it was too close to call based on the views and I have no problem losing like that.

My problem, as someone else stated earlier, is that Tallinder didn't do anything to prevent this. He's become quite the vag. the last year and a half and frankly I'm sick of it. It's starting to spread to other guys. I think we're really in trouble with our D when Rivet is out. Lydman is playing the right side and barely getting by, Teppo has confirmed that he really DOES smoke, Tallinder flat out sucks, and Spacek can't score and can't check all of a sudden. Good thing Butler is playing as well as he is.

The Sabres held the sixth-best offensive team to nine shots over the final 40 minutes. They did a good job, especially Lydman, on Malkin and Crosby. Crosby didn't have a shot on goal until overtime. Scoring chances were almost nil. I can remember a point blank chance for Satan early, an open look that Crosby missed and Crosby's chance seconds before he scored in overtime. There wasn't much else, except of course Dupuis in all alone for a goal. Miller allowed four goals on the last 11 shots of the game after the end of the first. He has to be better. Blaming the D this season is valid. Blaming them this morning is a bit comical.

Edit: nhl.com has a Miller save five minutes into the second on Godard that was pretty good. It's the only Miller highlight.

The Sabres held the sixth-best offensive team to nine shots over the final 40 minutes. They did a good job, especially Lydman, on Malkin and Crosby. Crosby didn't have a shot on goal until overtime. Scoring chances were almost nil. I can remember a point blank chance for Satan early, an open look that Crosby missed and Crosby's chance seconds before he scored in overtime. There wasn't much else, except of course Dupuis in all alone for a goal. Miller allowed four goals on the last 11 shots of the game after the end of the first. He has to be better. Blaming the D this season is valid. Blaming them this morning is a bit comical.

Edit: nhl.com has a Miller save five minutes into the second on Godard that was pretty good. It's the only Miller highlight.

1st goal - breakaway set up by an awful line change

2nd goal - deflected by someone

3rd goal - screened by both Sabre forward and Pittsburgh forward

4th goal - knocked in by player behind him after one defensemen ducked and another stood next to Crosby as he swatted the puck out of the air

You would like him to stop the breakaway but other goals amount to puck luck where as opposed to other times this year, he was not out of position.

As for the goal, whatever part of the body you choose had to be more then 27 inches from the top of his head to be close to a goal. You can keep lowering it, and I might accept it was too close to call but you can't call it a good goal anymore then you're willing to accept that it wasn't.

BUFFALO, N.Y. - With one deflection, Sidney Crosby ended a personal goal-scoring drought and helped the Pittsburgh Penguins make up for a poor performance.

Crosby scored 43 seconds into overtime, snapping a career-high nine-game scoreless streak, and lifting the Penguins to a 4-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres on Monday night.

Pittsburgh, which improved to 4-5-1 in December, also rebounded from one of its poorest efforts of the year on Saturday in 7-3 loss to Toronto.

"We bounced back from last game and played a good hockey game," Crosby said. "We were working hard, and I thought we deserved to win. Hopefully we can build off of this."

Crosby stopped his drought when he tipped in Evgeni Malkin's shot past goalie Ryan Miller. The play survived a two-minute video review that confirmed Crosby's stick was under the crossbar when he touched it.

"It was pretty close," said Crosby, who scored for the first time since netting a hat trick against New Jersey last month. "But I don't think it was (a high-stick). My stick was angled down. If I would have hit it a little higher up, I think we would have been flirting with danger a little bit more."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20081223/ca...o/nhl_pgh_buf_4

I'd say it was inconclusive, maybe, but no way did it confirm anything

It's not like the NHL would ever let pictures of the shot surface in order to tarnish Crosby's image.

Or it's own "image" for that matter.

Strangely enough, Dave Jackson's remarks from the Montreal game appeared in the first recap on nhl.com, and magically disappeared during the day.

Guess even Bettman found it a little over the top, that a Montreal-native got to call a Habs game in Montreal, and blurt it to the press afterwards.

The blurting to the press part, I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived