Sucker punch on Kaleta

carpandean

For those that missed it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kaleta had been laying on his typical hits and misses (tries to hit, but just gets boards). LA was hitting him back pretty hard, too. On this play Kaleta takes a run at one of their players, but misses. As he goes by, Gauthier tries to hit him in the head with a blatant elbow (see 1:08). After missing that, he and Kaleta chirp at each other, then Gauthier drops his gloves and punches Kaleta right in the face. I have no idea what Kaleta said, but he clearly hadn't moved to drop his gloves at all. Gauthier received 4 minutes for roughing.

So what should happen to Gauthier? Lindy called for a suspension in his presser and RJ, HN, MR, etc. clearly agreed. Some will say that Kaleta's play style, along with his reputation as a turtler meant that he had this coming. Maybe so, but the league can only take reputation into account just so much.

For those that missed it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kaleta had been laying on his typical hits and misses (tries to hit, but just gets boards). LA was hitting him back pretty hard, too. On this play Kaleta takes a run at one of their players, but misses. As he goes by, Gauthier tries to hit him in the head with a blatant elbow (see 1:08). After missing that, he and Kaleta chirp at each other, then Gauthier drops his gloves and punches Kaleta right in the face. I have no idea what Kaleta said, but he clearly hadn't moved to drop his gloves at all. Gauthier received 4 minutes for roughing.

So what should happen to Gauthier? Lindy called for a suspension in his presser and RJ, HN, MR, etc. clearly agreed. Some will say that Kaleta's play style, along with his reputation as a turtler meant that he had this coming. Maybe so, but the league can only take reputation into account just so much.

Gauthier simply proved that once a Phlyer, always a Phyler.

He should get suspended, and I actually expect him to get 1-3 games (most likely 1).

The punch didn't bother me too much, as it seems they're pretty face to face and it looked like Kaleta was ready to go. The elbow, though, is what this league NEEDS to clean up. That was absolutely uncalled for, and should warrant a suspension/fine. Sucker punched is not what happened here, moreso Kaleta was slower to the draw/Kaleta had no intentions of dropping the gloves. He needs to learn real quick that guys are gonna make him answer the bell for his style of play. He either needs to start dropping them, or stop his style of play, which for the record I think is great.......

The punch didn't bother me too much, as it seems they're pretty face to face and it looked like Kaleta was ready to go. The elbow, though, is what this league NEEDS to clean up. That was absolutely uncalled for, and should warrant a suspension/fine. Sucker punched is not what happened here, moreso Kaleta was slower to the draw/Kaleta had no intentions of dropping the gloves. He needs to learn real quick that guys are gonna make him answer the bell for his style of play. He either needs to start dropping them, or stop his style of play, which for the record I think is great.......

You don't slug a guy until he drops the gloves. That's just how it works.

You don't slug a guy until he drops the gloves. That's just how it works.

I know that. When I think of a sucker punch, I think of what happened to Spacek. This, not so much. Watching the replay, it looks like Kaleta's arms go limp, like he's about to shake his gloves off and go. To me, it just looks like Gauthier got a little ansy and through one early, one that landed fairly clean. Someone definitely should have ran him for it, but to call it a "sucker punch" and demand a suspension is a little out of context. He didn't obey the "code", and I fully understand that, I just don't think that was as bad as the elbow he tried landing on Kaleta's head.

I know that. When I think of a sucker punch, I think of what happened to Spacek. This, not so much. Watching the replay, it looks like Kaleta's arms go limp, like he's about to shake his gloves off and go. To me, it just looks like Gauthier got a little ansy and through one early, one that landed fairly clean. Someone definitely should have ran him for it, but to call it a "sucker punch" and demand a suspension is a little out of context. He didn't obey the "code", and I fully understand that, I just don't think that was as bad as the elbow he tried landing on Kaleta's head.

If that wasn't a sucker punch, then my name is Elvis Presley.

If that wasn't a sucker punch, then my name is Elvis Presley.

What bothers me as much as the punch, and yes, I think it was a sucker punch, was the team's reaction, or lack thereof. Those are the power plays were you have to make teams pay for their actions and stick up for your teammate and that was as bad a 4 minute power play as you are going to see. We know this is a team that seldom if ever is going to stand up physically so the least they could do is show Kaleta they appreciate his efforts by at least getting more quality chances then the opposition during the power play

Sorry I disagree, nothing in that replay showed Kaleta was looking to drop his gloves, and Kaleta looked shocked that he got hit. It was a sucker punch, because Kaleta gave no indication he was interested in fighting. Another cheap shot the league will do nothing about, and then wonder why they can't control the unecessary violence that exists in the game today.

Sorry I disagree, nothing in that replay showed Kaleta was looking to drop his gloves, and Kaleta looked shocked that he got hit. It was a sucker punch, because Kaleta gave no indication he was interested in fighting. Another cheap shot the league will do nothing about, and then wonder why they can't control the unecessary violence that exists in the game today.

I think Kaleta was ready to go, but Gauthier's punch took him by surprise. He didn't get hurt by it, either....he went into the fetal position right after the hit because that's his thing this year - get hit & knocked down, then don't fight to draw the penalty. You could even see Gauthier throw up his hands in frustration...he was definitely ready to fight.

I also think it's a little too much to call it a sucker punch....Kaleta knew it was coming. I agree with billsrsursed - Gauthier's elbow that missed Kaleta's head is what the league should be worried about.

I'd be surprised if a suspension comes out of the punch.

I think Kaleta was ready to go, but Gauthier's punch took him by surprise. He didn't get hurt by it, either....he went into the fetal position right after the hit because that's his thing this year - get hit & knocked down, then don't fight to draw the penalty. You could even see Gauthier throw up his hands in frustration...he was definitely ready to fight.

I also think it's a little too much to call it a sucker punch....Kaleta knew it was coming. I agree with billsrsursed - Gauthier's elbow that missed Kaleta's head is what the league should be worried about.

When it happend at first it I thought he just skated behind him and threw a punch without Kaleta realising it was coming..When they showed the replay my reaction tempered a bit..My interpetation of it is that KAleta suckered Gauither into hitting him..If he was interested in the play he wouldve skated back towards the action instead of turning back to Gauthier..Gauthier made the mistake of throwing the gloves down with Kaleta..Kaleta seems like youre typical punk all words no action as far as throwing the knuckles...

I don't think he knew the punch was coming, i think he expected Gauthier to grab him and try to start a fight, i don't think he expected the punch, it is a sucker punch if the guy didn't know it was coming.

When it happend at first it I thought he just skated behind him and threw a punch without Kaleta realising it was coming..When they showed the replay my reaction tempered a bit..My interpetation of it is that KAleta suckered Gauither into hitting him..If he was interested in the play he wouldve skated back towards the action instead of turning back to Gauthier..Gauthier made the mistake of throwing the gloves down with Kaleta..Kaleta seems like youre typical punk all words no action as far as throwing the knuckles...

Kaleta did nothing on the play to deserve a fight, on that play he went to throw a check, he missed it, and gauthier tried to elbow him, and then decided to sucker punch him. Kaleta had no reason on that play to start a fight.

From todays Buffalo News...

"He did not return for the third period, and coach Lindy Ruff said afterward that Kaleta is suffering from the same problems with his eyesight he experienced during a recent seven-game absence."

In that case, I revise my opinion: there may be a suspension. (The NHL punishes results, not actions, and if this aggravated an injury, the league might do something.)

In that case, I revise my opinion: there may be a suspension. (The NHL punishes results, not actions, and if this aggravated an injury, the league might do something.)

I'm not sure you meant it as a shot at the NHL, but I hate when others, including a lot of my friends, make this point. Our society punishes based on results rather then actions. Otherwise, murder and attempted murder would bear the same sentence.

I think "Goat-ee-ay" threw a punch because he assumed they were going to fight and knowing he probably wouldnt be able to get another one in.........didnt he hit someone from behind in a playoff game when he was a Cryer? anyone remember that?

Pretty sure he hit Vanek from behind on a very dirty hit in the playoffs in 2006.

He's a punk.

FWIW, I think it was a sucker punch, because I think the rule is that you don't start punching until the other guy drops the gloves.

Rob Ray was saying last night that all this wouldn't happen if they just did away with the instigator rule. His argument was that this guy would have thought about doing something like that if only he thought Peter's would come and beat on him later. Now, I know he would be in a better position to judge that than me, him being an ex-NHLer and all, and a fighter as well, but this chit happened before that. To me, it sounds like the argument that the death penalty will cut down on murder rates. I just don't see it.

I'm not sure you meant it as a shot at the NHL, but I hate when others, including a lot of my friends, make this point. Our society punishes based on results rather then actions. Otherwise, murder and attempted murder would bear the same sentence.

Yes, our society does, and I'm not so sure it should. But at least our society doles out some punishment for the criminal who assaults but doesn't injure his victim; the NHL usually does nothing unless there is a lost-time injury.

Kaleta did nothing on the play to deserve a fight, on that play he went to throw a check, he missed it, and gauthier tried to elbow him, and then decided to sucker punch him. Kaleta had no reason on that play to start a fight.

Sure he did..He took a run at him..Any player who plays with an edge wouldve done the same..Ive seen players fight for less...Guarantee you if Kaleta was playing against the Sabres and he took a run at one of ours and we did nothing we would be crying about no one making him accountable...Kaleta is a run of the mill punk...He plays hard but if he is gonna take runs at players It would be nice to see him back it up instead of the old chuck and duck...

I am not saying the elbow was at all kosher but the act of trying to fight him is not at all repulsive in any manner to me..

Sure he did..He took a run at him..Any player who plays with an edge wouldve done the same..Ive seen players fight for less...Guarantee you if Kaleta was playing against the Sabres and he took a run at one of ours and we did nothing we would be crying about no one making him accountable...Kaleta is a run of the mill punk...He plays hard but if he is gonna take runs at players It would be nice to see him back it up instead of the old chuck and duck...

He missed his check and then Gauthier tried to throw an elbow at him. ---- so now that's a reason for him to sucker punch? Come on, that's ridiculous

Archived