Sucker punch on Kaleta

carpandean

Sure he did..He took a run at him..Any player who plays with an edge wouldve done the same..Ive seen players fight for less...Guarantee you if Kaleta was playing against the Sabres and he took a run at one of ours and we did nothing we would be crying about no one making him accountable...Kaleta is a run of the mill punk...He plays hard but if he is gonna take runs at players It would be nice to see him back it up instead of the old chuck and duck...

A lot of people say he is a really important part of the team. How important?

What bothers me as much as the punch, and yes, I think it was a sucker punch, was the team's reaction, or lack thereof. Those are the power plays were you have to make teams pay for their actions and stick up for your teammate and that was as bad a 4 minute power play as you are going to see. We know this is a team that seldom if ever is going to stand up physically so the least they could do is show Kaleta they appreciate his efforts by at least getting more quality chances then the opposition during the power play

I have nothing to base my hunch on, but I think it is coached. They're looking for the power play. Too bad the PP was embarrassingly ineffective.

Sorry I disagree, nothing in that replay showed Kaleta was looking to drop his gloves, and Kaleta looked shocked that he got hit. It was a sucker punch, because Kaleta gave no indication he was interested in fighting. Another cheap shot the league will do nothing about, and then wonder why they can't control the unecessary violence that exists in the game today.

Kaleta had just, and I mean just, turned around to face the guy who came in with some skating momentum and popped him before he had a chance to even blink. Punching someone at a moment when they have NO opportunity to defend it or react (by seeing it coming with a split second to think) is pretty much a sucker punch by definition. And I agree, the league will do nothing.

Gauthier simply proved that once a Phlyer, always a Phyler.

He should get suspended, and I actually expect him to get 1-3 games (most likely 1).

:thumbsup:

He should definitely be suspended and maybe fined. If Campbell really wants a cleaner NHL then this has to garner a significant penalty. He should get 10 games + $2,000 fine. He wont, but he should.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What bothers me as much as the punch, and yes, I think it was a sucker punch, was the team's reaction, or lack thereof. Those are the power plays were you have to make teams pay for their actions and stick up for your teammate and that was as bad a 4 minute power play as you are going to see. We know this is a team that seldom if ever is going to stand up physically so the least they could do is show Kaleta they appreciate his efforts by at least getting more quality chances then the opposition during the power play

I'll bet Rivet before his injuries would have crushed this guy. Their is such a thing as a good penalty and IMO sending Peters after this guy and calling him out (not sucker punching, but a cross check and drop the gloves ) at some point in the game is what should have been done. It doesn't matter if you give up a goal when your leading 3-0 you have to send a message to rest of the leagues goons that they will be held accountable instead of the neon sign that says "Cheap shot season is open on the Sabres team" come and get em...

I'll bet Rivet before his injuries would have crushed this guy. Their is such a thing as a good penalty and IMO sending Peters after this guy and calling him out (not sucker punching, but a cross check and drop the gloves ) at some point in the game is what should have been done. It doesn't matter if you give up a goal when your leading 3-0 you have to send a message to rest of the leagues goons that they will be held accountable instead of the neon sign that says "Cheap shot season is open on the Sabres team" come and get em...

There are four guys that I could see going after him. Unfortunately, only one - Adam Mair - was playing and was somebody who Gauthier might actually fight. He wouldn't fight Peters and both Gaustad and Rivet were out with injuries. Gauthier is probably out of Mair's weight class, much like Peter's is out of Gauthier's. Rivet or Gaustad would have been a "fair" fight.

Yes, our society does, and I'm not so sure it should. But at least our society doles out some punishment for the criminal who assaults but doesn't injure his victim; the NHL usually does nothing unless there is a lost-time injury.

Its all relative and determined by the history of the perpetrator. A first time offender is going to be dealt with differently and a lot has to do with the history of the alleged victim. I really don't think the NHL is much different then our court system.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What makes you think this guy is going to be intemidated by having to fight?

What makes you think this guy is going to be intemidated by having to fight?

It's not just the intimidation as much as it's the reaction, It's the code, the karma that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

I guarantee nothing happening is the worse thing that can happen, for some of following reasons but not expressly limited too; (a)it emboldens and encourages this kind of crap, (b)making a brew ha ha out of it also makes the league office and other teams have to pay more attention to it, © maybe you cheap shot one of their stars, it's a chain reaction, doing nothing is the worse so there's my rational you got something better, you calling me out Suave <_< ....

Want to go to Millers fashion show together :blush:

Bet that got a reaction outta ya ;) , get it now... not just fists it's the reaction that counts

I think Kaleta was ready to go, but Gauthier's punch took him by surprise. He didn't get hurt by it, either....he went into the fetal position right after the hit because that's his thing this year - get hit & knocked down, then don't fight to draw the penalty. You could even see Gauthier throw up his hands in frustration...he was definitely ready to fight.

I also think it's a little too much to call it a sucker punch....Kaleta knew it was coming. I agree with billsrsursed - Gauthier's elbow that missed Kaleta's head is what the league should be worried about.

I'd be surprised if a suspension comes out of the punch.

Sure, that's why he wasn't on the bench for the rest of the game.

What should happen? Gauthier should sit for as long as Kaleta is out, plus that many games after Kaleta comes back. The player, the coach, the GM and the owner should all be fined, heartily. It would solve the problem.

Problem is, the league doesn't see it as a problem. It believes the fans want to see this garbage. They're right. At some point, though, you stand up and do the right thing. Guess what? You end up with a better game that appeals to more people. I think most football fans would love to see more mayhem on the field. Absolutely. The NFL won't stand for it. You think the NBA wouldn't still be popular, or even more popular, if there was sanctioned fighting in it?

What will happen? Virtually nothing.

Kaleta shoulda have been ready for some reprisal from the attempted hit, Although it doesn't make a sucker punch right.

I tell you who I am mad at is that garbage MSG camera man. Last night there were three ocasions where he wouldn't go to where the action was on the ice. That clip is a great example. Why can't the follow what is going on?Its like the don't even want to show the shanagans.

What should happen? Gauthier should sit for as long as Kaleta is out, plus that many games after Kaleta comes back. The player, the coach, the GM and the owner should all be fined, heartily. It would solve the problem.

Problem is, the league doesn't see it as a problem. It believes the fans want to see this garbage. They're right. At some point, though, you stand up and do the right thing. Guess what? You end up with a better game that appeals to more people. I think most football fans would love to see more mayhem on the field. Absolutely. The NFL won't stand for it. You think the NBA wouldn't still be popular, or even more popular, if there was sanctioned fighting in it?

What will happen? Virtually nothing.

Only if the Sabres had a enforcer in the roster that they could have dressed. <_<

+1 to the poster who called Kaleta a run-of-the-mill punk. If he wasn't a local kid, a lot more fans would be getting sick of his stupid, cowardly act. If he played for another team, fans would REALLY hate him.

He's not that good of a hockey player, isn't even on the roster for many (most?) NHL clubs, and he is quickly becoming a Claude Lemieux clone.

+1 to the poster who called Kaleta a run-of-the-mill punk. If he wasn't a local kid, a lot more fans would be getting sick of his stupid, cowardly act. If he played for another team, fans would REALLY hate him.

He's not that good of a hockey player, isn't even on the roster for many (most?) NHL clubs, and he is quickly becoming a Claude Lemieux clone.

He gets the Sabres power plays that help win games -- moreso earlier in the year but he's still doing it. Pretty smart if you ask me. He does exactly what the coach wants him to do. How many of the brainiacs on the team can say the same about their game? As for being cowardly, exactly why should he have to stand up and fight Gauthier for trying to deliver a clean hit?

Kaleta's game is not to the liking of the mouth-breathers in their Hartman sweaters? Tough.

He gets the Sabres power plays that help win games -- moreso earlier in the year but he's still doing it. Pretty smart if you ask me. He does exactly what the coach wants him to do. How many of the brainiacs on the team can say the same about their game? As for being cowardly, exactly why should he have to stand up and fight Gauthier for trying to deliver a clean hit?

Kaleta's game is not to the liking of the mouth-breathers in their Hartman sweaters? Tough.

I will give you he draws penalties..But he doesnt stand anybody up..He takes viscous runs at players comes in from angles they cant defend themselves against...I wouldnt mind it so much if he picked his spots and went after other players of his style like Neill but he takes his punk runs at anyone not looking at him...For that reason alone I dont care for him..Hit me head on dont come around and suckerhit me....You can have him..

He gets the Sabres power plays that help win games

"His" power plays have helped the Sabres win how many games, exactly?

The guy's value to this team is ridiculously overrated because he's from the area. The fact remains he's no different than any of the punks Sabres fans have HATED over the years, he's drawing fewer and fewer penalties as refs become more familiar with his act, and he can expect the same treatment to continue the longer he goes without dropping the gloves. And you're right, he shouldn't have to stand up and fight for trying to deliver a clean hit... but don't kid yourself, this is the NHL. When someone plays the way he does, you're bound to have to stand up for yourself once in a while. Which he rarely (if ever) does.

In no way am I condoning sucker-punching (which Gauthier was dangerously close to doing), but when you play the way Kaleta does, you can expect to have to answer the bell once in a while... and to watch him continually shy away from those confrontations is bordering on comical.

They can better fill that roster spot.

To be fair, it's hardly his fault that the team fails to capitalize on "his" power plays. Those PP's are supposed to be worth something. If we had better PP units, they would be worth a lot.

If he becomes a Claude Lemieux clone and remains a Sabre most of us will be dancing in the street.

4 Stanley Cups

over 300 regular season goals

80 playoff goals

Yep, sign me up

To be fair, it's hardly his fault that the team fails to capitalize on "his" power plays. Those PP's are supposed to be worth something. If we had better PP units, they would be worth a lot.

I don't disagree.

But the fact remains, we don't. And, thus, this supposed plethora of power plays he's drawing go for naught more often than they yield any worthwhile results, all the while his reputation as a punk continues to grow.

If he becomes a Claude Lemieux clone and remains a Sabre most of us will be dancing in the street.

4 Stanley Cups

over 300 regular season goals

80 playoff goals

Yep, sign me up

I figured it was pretty obvious I was referring to the rather unsavory aspect of his game. You know, the one that fans and players came to despise?

But your post raises a good point... Kaleta may act like Lemieux, but he isn't nearly the player Lemieux was. Which makes his continued presence on the roster even more expendable.

I figured it was pretty obvious I was referring to the rather unsavory aspect of his game. You know, the one that fans and players came to despise?

But your post raises a good point... Kaleta may act like Lemieux, but he isn't nearly the player Lemieux was. Which makes his continued presence on the roster even more expendable.

I have railed on Kaleta pussing out on physical confrontations as much as anyone on this board. It is the only thing I hate about his game. He is a perfect 12th forward. He is cheap and he runs around and hits people. He is a far more functional NHL player than a Andrew Peters is. Peters is a true waste of a uniform. If Kaleta spent less time in the fetal position and learned to kill penalties he could very well have a Adam Mair type career.

I don't disagree.

But the fact remains, we don't. And, thus, this supposed plethora of power plays he's drawing go for naught more often than they yield any worthwhile results, all the while his reputation as a punk continues to grow.

Isn't two minutes where the opposition has virtually no chance to score worth something?

At least one. When he drew Mara into a roughing penalty at MSG in October, Vanek scored on the ensuing power play. It was the game-winning goal.

Not sure there's an easy way to tally up how many power plays he's drawn or how many the Sabres have scored on. You'd have to go back through all the play by play logs, I think.

• 1 month later...

Took me a while to find this thread.

Remember Gauthier?

He's got a hearing with Campbell today because of this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUM4jwiilY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUM4jwiilY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hit the "HQ" for the high-def. HNiC calling the game, Habs score on the next face-off.

Archived