Sucker punch on Kaleta

carpandean

Maybe someday the NHL will actually step up and do more about it. Unfortunately, someone will be killed before they finally step in and clean up this garbage.

Sad but true. This is a direct result of having old guard cronies like Colon Campbell making decisions on discipline. He is too afraid of criticism from the Don Cherry types that he is afraid of making the decisions needed to move the League forward.

Sad but true. This is a direct result of having old guard cronies like Colon Campbell making decisions on discipline. He is too afraid of criticism from the Don Cherry types that he is afraid of making the decisions needed to move the League forward.

You're right on Cambpell, but I have to call you out on mentioning Cherry. He wouldn't go as far on the head shots as I would, but Grapes has spoken up about it a lot. His big thing is the armor these players are wearing. He'll randomly show the size of shoulder and elbow pads, which plays a huge role in the damage from a hit like Gauthier made. These guys might as well be wearing steel plated pads. They definitely need to make stiffer penalties for hits to the head, but they also need to try to trim back the pads a bit too.

Maybe someday the NHL will actually step up and do more about it. Unfortunately, someone will be killed before they finally step in and clean up this garbage.

i agree.

i was reading some stuff in the times and wall street journal about how the current state of the economy may allow the new president to do some radical overhauls that have been needed for years, even decades, but that the situation had never gotten severe enough that there was the political will to make it happen.

i fear it will be a similar analysis with the nhl. i have visions of someone dying on the ice from a headshot, a hockey safety summit in the following offseason, and serious changes issuing both with respect to head contact, pads, etc.

as to pads, shrader's spot-on about this being an issue for cherry (see below). there's a parallel problem in the nfl, and the research being done on brain damage to football players may start to bring the issue to light. imo, it's bad for that league's "brand" ( :sick: ) for linebackers and safeties to be flying through the air like heat-seeking missiles and delivering "clean" (well, legal) hits on guys coming over the middle or what have you.

both leagues need to scale back on the amount of protection that players wear in order to better protect their players. if that makes any sense.

You're right on Cambpell, but I have to call you out on mentioning Cherry. He wouldn't go as far on the head shots as I would, but Grapes has spoken up about it a lot. His big thing is the armor these players are wearing. He'll randomly show the size of shoulder and elbow pads, which plays a huge role in the damage from a hit like Gauthier made. These guys might as well be wearing steel plated pads. They definitely need to make stiffer penalties for hits to the head, but they also need to try to trim back the pads a bit too.

as to pads, shrader's spot-on about this being an issue for cherry (see below). there's a parallel problem in the nfl, and the research being done on brain damage to football players may start to bring the issue to light. imo, it's bad for that league's "brand" ( :sick: ) for linebackers and safeties to be flying through the air like heat-seeking missiles and delivering "clean" (well, legal) hits on guys coming over the middle or what have you.

It's funny. While the league hasn't done anywhere near enough to address all these head injuries, they still do far more than any other professional sport when it comes to caring for those injuries. You don't see any other sport with that 7 day symptom free rule. That's a big part of why this whole thing confuses me so much. They're obviously well aware of the dangers of head injuries, yet they do so little to prevent them. The easiest way to treat a concussion is to never actually get it in the first place. Wake up NHL.

Archived