Roster Moves

inkman

What is going to happen before tonight's game?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who sits, gets sent down or...?

• Stafford to Portland
    • Ellis to waivers
    • Kaleta to Portland
    • Connolly to IR
    • Sekera to Portland

Ellis being sent to Portland is a no brainer. If no one claims him on waivers, he goes to Portland and is another veteran presence on what appears to be an already good team.

If another team claims him, see you later, it's been nice knowing you. No great loss.

I think Kaleta goes down till someone gets hurt again, or Connolly goes IR. There's no way Ellis goes down, as I believe he would get exposed to waivers twice - one going down and one getting called up when someone got hurt.

I think Kaleta goes down till someone gets hurt again, or Connolly goes IR. There's no way Ellis goes down, as I believe he would get exposed to waivers twice - one going down and one getting called up when someone got hurt.

Why do you place so much value in Ellis? There has to be 1000 guys like him out there. I also think him not being a Sabre draft pick, right or not, devalues him immensely. Not nearly as much money, time and coaching spent developing Matt's game.

Why do you place so much value in Ellis? There has to be 1000 guys like him out there. I also think him not being a Sabre draft pick, right or not, devalues him immensely. Not nearly as much money, time and coaching spent developing Matt's game.

Agreed. He's a good all around player but there's nothing about his game that makes him spectacular or a necessity.

I really don't, other than I haven't noticed him, which is probably a good thing in his role. I just don't see Darcy allowing an asset to go for free. Who knows, he could be part of a package they plan to send to Florida so that Florida can put some more vetrans in Rochester... I guess I'm also thinking, Portland already is tearing up the league, and that it would only be a game or two before he'd be needed again.

If it were up to me, I'd send down Stafford, but Dineen said there hasn't been any talk of that. That leaves only Kaleta and Sekera as the only other players who can freely go to Portland, and there simply is no rational reason why Sekera would be a Pirate any time soon.

I would think Ruff would send a message to Stafford. If he can bench Vanek during the playoffs, he can have Stafford play in Portland for a couple games. It's a good wakeup call. Ellis was a solid 4th line center, I'd hate to lose him at this point in the season.

Good call. I voted for waiving Ellis, because I thought that was what would happen (although my preference would be to send Stafford down), but now you (along with KR's point about Darcy not letting assets go for nothing) may have convinced me that Stafford is going down.

No way Ruff sends Kaleta down and lets Stafford keep playing in the NHL. He can't send that message, he has had nothing but praise for Kaleta, he can't turn around and play favorites for the more skilled guy who is not only not producing but not playing with the passion Kaleta does.

From what I have seen, Ruff gives preference over the older/veteran players. However, Stafford, Sekera , and Kaleta are only 1 year a part, but Stafford has been up w/ the big club longer.

I don't know what any of this means.

I also think sending Stafford down to Portland until the next injury might be a good thing. Lindy has stated that he hasn't really like Staff's "hockey habits" and perhaps that he got promoted a little early. I think that it would send a good message in that if you're underachieving you don't get a free pass. He's been moving down the lines and probably not getting as much ice time. Going down could get him more a bunch more minutes, bolster his confidence (after the initial bumming about being sent down), and ratchet up his motivation and maturity. However, I'm not confident that it will happen even though I voted for it. But, I think in the longer run, it would do him some good.

I know it won't happen, but I'd want to see Peters to waivers.

Believe it or not, but fighting is on the rise in the NHL. No way Peters goes anywhere except the press box and is here just for insurance.

I voted for Ellis, but I find it hard to believe that DR would let a body go that easily if he got picked up. Kaleta draws too many PP opportunity's to get sent anywhere. The Skill will go to IR once he gets more seriously injured, which will probably be by the end of next week. Stafford being "sent a message" would be the best move, but I don't foresee that happening yet.

This is a good problem to have.

From what I have seen, Ruff gives preference over the older/veteran players. However, Stafford, Sekera , and Kaleta are only 1 year a part, but Stafford has been up w/ the big club longer.

I don't know what any of this means.

They're all in their 3rd year and from the same draft class. Stafford is 8 months older than Sekera and Kaleta (who ironically enough, were born on the same exact day). SO I don't know where you're going with that "older/veteran players" comment.... unless you're bringing Ellis into the equations when you say that.

They're all in their 3rd year and from the same draft class. Stafford is 8 months older than Sekera and Kaleta (who ironically enough, were born on the same exact day). SO I don't know where you're going with that "older/veteran players" comment.... unless you're bringing Ellis into the equations when you say that.

Sorry for the ballbusting, but that's coincidence, not irony.

Why? Only one move is needed. Or is this some sort of Gerbe ploy?

You know that I wouldnt be opposed to seeing some youth this fall. Just a sprinkle for three games here and there. Perhaps alittle Gragnani, then Mancari, then Gerbe, whoever. So far, we saw Paetsch & Weber. It would be fair in my book to send Stafford & Kaleta down at some point. God knows The General got his share of mileage last season.

Archived