Roster Moves

inkman

What is going to happen before tonight's game?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who sits, gets sent down or...?

• Stafford to Portland
    • Ellis to waivers
    • Kaleta to Portland
    • Connolly to IR
    • Sekera to Portland

Stafford to Portland - might be the wakeup call that he needs. Doesn't expose anyone to waivers, so there is no risk.

Ellis to waivers - some risk of losing a decent depth player, but he has filled the need that he was brought in for (unlikely event of having three centers out.) As the season progresses, the kids in Portland will gain experience and be more capable of filling in if that happens again.

Kaleta to Portland - not going to happen. He has been playing hard every game. In addition to his usual hitting and drawing penalties, he has started to show that he could contribute offensively and, certainly, defensively. He's willing to eat a fist to draw a penalty or a puck to block a shot.

Connolly to IR - I'm willing to give Connolly one last shot before this. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a stick to the spine that kept him out and was, thus, no less of a normal hockey injury that Hecht's finger of Gaustad's thumb. If he starts missing games again, I'm done, but if he's playing, then there's no need to jump the gone by putting him on IR. If he's really made of glass, he'll put himself there soon enough.

Sekera to Portland - do we really need to discuss this option? He leads the team in ice time and is used in all situations. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

To me, either Stafford goes down or Ellis gets waived; nothing else makes sense.

Per Buffalo News:

In a wild roster move today, it seems Darcy Reiger has finally given up on Maxim Afinogenov. He has been sent to Portland as of 11 am this morning and was immediately picked up by Phoenix to aid their ailing squad. "We had to make a move to get the roster down" said Regier, "and we can't waive Ellis or risk Drew Stafford's development".

Just Kidding.

:nana:

Per Buffalo News:

In a wild roster move today, it seems Darcy Reiger has finally given up on Maxim Afinogenov. He has been sent to Portland as of 11 am this morning and was immediately picked up by Phoenix to aid their ailing squad. "We had to make a move to get the roster down" said Regier, "and we can't waive Ellis or risk Drew Stafford's development".

Just Kidding.

That was fantastic. I didn't know how I would actually feel about him being gone til just now. Still shocking but it didn't hurt all that much.

Per Buffalo News:

Just Kidding.

Phoenix has already made great strides in becoming my second-favorite NHL team... geez, if Max went there, I might just have to buy a jersey!

Kidding of course, but stop picking on Max. :thumbdown:

They're all in their 3rd year and from the same draft class. Stafford is 8 months older than Sekera and Kaleta (who ironically enough, were born on the same exact day). SO I don't know where you're going with that "older/veteran players" comment.... unless you're bringing Ellis into the equations when you say that.

Stafford has more games (117 regular-season games and 10 playoff games) under his belt over parts of three years than Kaleta and Sekera combined. Kaleta has 59 games and Sekera has 51 over parts of three years with Buffalo, so Stafford is the "most veteran" of the group in terms of NHL experience.

Stafford has more games (117 regular-season games and 10 playoff games) under his belt over parts of three years than Kaleta and Sekera combined. Kaleta has 59 games and Sekera has 51 over parts of three years with Buffalo, so Stafford is the "most veteran" of the group in terms of NHL experience.

SDS mentioned that separately at the end of his post, so I wasn't sure if he was suggesting that or not.

From what I have seen, Ruff gives preference over the older/veteran players. However, Stafford, Sekera , and Kaleta are only 1 year a part, but Stafford has been up w/ the big club longer.

I don't know what any of this means.

No offense, but...what? :unsure:

The 1 year apart line is what threw me off on his post. But anyway, this is what I originally responded to.

The 1 year apart line is what threw me off on his post. But anyway, this is what I originally responded to.

Gotcha. It's Friday afternoon, so I think I've already mentally checked out for the week.

I think sending Stafford down to the farm team would be the best move for the team. He has been steadily playing himself out of the lineup. Send him to Portland and hopefuly he builds up his confidence. Other players like Campbell and Pomminstein have been shuffled back to the minors and have come back better for the experience.

Other players like Campbell and Pomminstein have been shuffled back to the minors and have come back better for the experience.

Not saying that it wouldn't be good for Stafford, but neither Campbell or Pominville had over 120+ games of NHL experience(which Stafford has) and after that were sent back to the AHL.

Archived