GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Rangers are an improved team......when they played the Devils Marty Brodeur credited Kalinin as being

the best player on the ice. :death:

We'll have to see what happens to Voros when he starts camping in Millers kitchen.

Aside....you have to appreciate the play of Brandon Dubinsky. I think the kid is the real deal.

I am hoping the Sabres get a point out of this.

Is Peters playing tonight or is Ellis finally going to see regular season action?

I know things are going well, but I have to once again bring up the fact that the Sabres screwed up big time going into this season so thin at center. They absolutely should have brought someone in here even with Hecht healthy, and now even he is out. I think they are going to struggle tonight against a balanced Rangers team. Not a good feeling about this one.

Is Peters playing tonight or is Ellis finally going to see regular season action?

I know things are going well, but I have to once again bring up the fact that the Sabres screwed up big time going into this season so thin at center. They absolutely should have brought someone in here even with Hecht healthy, and now even he is out. I think they are going to struggle tonight against a balanced Rangers team. Not a good feeling about this one.

Buffalo News and WGR are both reporting that Ellis is in, but that doesn't mean Peters is out. Ellis playing his first game as a Sabre is good news...there will be extra effort as he tries to convince Ruff that he should regularly dress for games.

Rangers are an improved team......when they played the Devils Marty Brodeur credited Kalinin as being

the best player on the ice. :death:

We'll have to see what happens to Voros when he starts camping in Millers kitchen.

Aside....you have to appreciate the play of Brandon Dubinsky. I think the kid is the real deal.

I am hoping the Sabres get a point out of this.

Exactly. It's a good test for the Sabres. I know we're without the Goose, but still, it'll be interesting to see how we match against their size. They hit and play a very physical game. Players like Rivet and Kaleta will have their hands full and i know what they will do. But, what guys like Sekera, Ellis, Stafford and MacArthur do is another question. We'll see what type of player Ellis is tonight, that's for sure. NYR is the perfect team for Ellis to show off what he has. Even if he's pointless, he can have a pretty big impact on this game.

Exactly. It's a good test for the Sabres. I know we're without the Goose, but still, it'll be interesting to see how we match against their size. They hit and play a very physical game. Players like Rivet and Kaleta will have their hands full and i know what they will do. But, what guys like Sekera, Ellis, Stafford and MacArthur do is another question. We'll see what type of player Ellis is tonight, that's for sure. NYR is the perfect team for Ellis to show off what he has. Even if he's pointless, he can have a pretty big impact on this game.

I'm guessing Ellis, Mair and even Spacek and Stafford will catch a bit of the nasty bug that Rivet is spreading around the room. Lindy said as much in an interview with WGR and I fully expect this team to come to Miller's aide whenever needed.

Tough one...4-2 Rangers. The Sabres have an excuse with the injuries. I don't think they overcome that mental hurdle tonight. I hope I'm wrong.

Injuries are not an excuse and what mental hurdles are you talking about? It's the 3rd game of the year. I think fans over think things too much. It's a hockey game.

I don't see the Sabres pulling this one out.

Rangers 3-1.

It just seems, whenever we blow someone out, the next game we can't find the net.

Good point, this game will tell us a lot about whether this team has turned a corner or just played two good games against a very good, and a piss-poor opponent.

I never like the game after a blowout win. It seems like the letdown and bad habits of the third period in a blowout carry over. I wasn't thrilled with the turnovers and bad penalties in the final period against the Isles.

Last season, the Sabres scored five goals or more 17 times. In the next game, eight times they scored two or fewer. All of those weren't technically routs -- when they won by at least four goals, the next game they were only .500 (5-5).

Numbers numbers. This smells like a 3-0 Ranger lead before a meaningless late Sabre goal.

G.O.B.

I never like the game after a blowout win. It seems like the letdown and bad habits of the third period in a blowout carry over. I wasn't thrilled with the turnovers and bad penalties in the final period against the Isles.

Last season, the Sabres scored five goals or more 17 times. In the next game, eight times they scored two or fewer. All of those weren't technically routs -- when they won by at least four goals, the next game they were only .500 (5-5).

Numbers numbers. This smells like a 3-0 Ranger lead before a meaningless late Sabre goal.

G.O.B.

This goes with my thought i've had all day.

Say we go into MSG, and give zero effort. The offense is nowhere. PP goes 0-4. Miller allows 4-5 goals. We lose 4-1 or something and have like 16 shots on net. No energy. Nothing.

What will Lindy Ruff do Friday? Play with same lines and hope it was just a letdown game against a good team on the road, or call somebody up?

G.O.B.

You hit the nail on the head. Tonight we are going to see if this is a different team than last year. Maybe even the last 3 years. Let downs in a blowout game and then lameness the next game has been annoying me for a few years now. We'll see....

...but I will say this: I don't think the let down in this past game's 3rd is anywhere near as bad as they have been. The big difference was the d continued to play relatively solid, and we only gave up the one goal. In the past, it would have been more like 2-4.

This goes with my thought i've had all day.

Say we go into MSG, and give zero effort. The offense is nowhere. PP goes 0-4. Miller allows 4-5 goals. We lose 4-1 or something and have like 16 shots on net. No energy. Nothing.

What will Lindy Ruff do Friday? Play with same lines and hope it was just a letdown game against a good team on the road, or call somebody up?

Is there ANYTHING to indicate they are going to give ZERO effort? They might play bad and make some ugly mistakes and lose 4-1 because the Rangers are good, but there is nothing to indicate they are going to all of a sudden not give effort. Even if they do lose by 3+ goals, do you really think they need to panic after one bad game and start calling people up?

On a related note .... Sorry but I do not see the fascination with the guys in Portland. if Pominville and Stafford and Miller and Roy and Vanek can pay their dues and learn how to be a pro in the AHL, why are so many people (not necessarily you, Vanek-man, you just got me thinking) in such a hurry to get Gerbe or Kennedy up in Buffalo? They have been pros for all of 2 weeks. Let them be. The system is proven to develop players if you let it.

I'm really looking to see this is the point where MacArthur blossoms into a solid player and takes this chance to solidify his position on the roster. I hope he does especially since he only has the one year deal I think. He could end up the way of Mike Ryan if he doesn't.

Archived