GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

If it helps, here are the links to Avery's Hockey Fights page and Kaleta's page.

Good point on the TOI, hadn't thought to look that up.

They're also throwing around the coward comments. Now I understand it, but how exactly is a guy a coward when he stands there the entire time and lets another guy land 5 or 6 punches? So many players fall to the ice and cover up in that situation. I know the code and all that crap, but how exactly does a guy have to answer for his actions when he misses his hit completely? If he's supposed to be answering for last season's hit, it was clean. It's not the "oh, you hurt me, so it must be dirty" that Mara would like it to be.

Yeah, I could see wanting Weber in the lineup, but Teppo would be low on my list of players to swap him in for. Hank? Sure. Toni? Maybe. Not Teppo.

The good thing to see was how good the Sabres were in the Neutral Zone during lockdown time in the 3rd.

Madison Square garden was as quiet as it gets.

I don't think the Ranger's made a single clean entry.

Well, here's your prediction:

You also said:

and

I read these statements as saying essentially that the Rangers are much better than the Sabres, especially at forward, and for the Sabres to have had a chance last night, it would've been because Miller stood on his head. Well, that's not what happened. The Sabres as a team earned that win. Miller played well but hardly carried the team. Kotalik (from our 3rd line) had a goal, while the Rangers' allegedly superior 2nd and 3rd lines did absolutely nothing. The Sabres were the better team at both ends in the first 2 periods and then played tight, well-executed defensive hockey in the 3rd to close it out.

As for Teppo, he played 21 minutes last night. I think most observers (including Lindy!) would say that he was highly effective. Teppo may not be a physical player, but not everyone needs to be. Pominville, Roy, Vanek, etc. are not physical players either.

If Teppo could score 30 goals and 80 points I wouldn't care if he were physical either. I know Lindy has a love affair with Teppo, maybe it's the hair. I have a lot of respect for Lindy but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he says or does. After all he is the same man that thinks Peters has a place in the league. Go figure. I would rather see Weber get that 21 minutes a game and bang some bodies.

As for last nights game, as I said, the Sabres needed to clog up the ice and play an ugly road game. It's how the Bruins made the playoffs last season. They didn't have more talent than the Sabres they simply played an ugly defensive style that neutralized opponents talent advantage. It's what the Sabres did to the Rangers last night. The clogged up the ice and limited the Rangers 5 on 5. Actually the Rangers out scored Buffalo 5 on 5 1-0. The Sabres were able to win the special teams battle. It's a tried and true system to over come talent. Lindy and the Sabres played a near perfect road game. Again, over a 82 game season the Rangers roster has more depth and it will show. The Sabres have a top heavy lineup which may cause some issues down the road.

Some interesting Sabres stats:

- #1 in points earned per game played, 2.00 (tied w/ Oilers, Wild, Sharks; Oilers & Wild have 2 GP, while Sharks have 4; Rag did through 5 GP)

- #2 in goals for per game played, 4.00 (Caps have 4.33; tied w/ Wild, Canadiens, Blues, Canucks)

- #1 in goals against per game played, 1.00 (tied w/ San Jose)

Yeah, but look how inconsistent they are! 2, 7, 3. :rolleyes:

If Teppo could score 30 goals and 80 points I wouldn't care if he were physical either. I know Lindy has a love affair with Teppo, maybe it's the hair. I have a lot of respect for Lindy but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he says or does. After all he is the same man that thinks Peters has a place in the league. Go figure. I would rather see Weber get that 21 minutes a game and bang some bodies.

As for last nights game, as I said, the Sabres needed to clog up the ice and play an ugly road game. It's how the Bruins made the playoffs last season. They didn't have more talent than the Sabres they simply played an ugly defensive style that neutralized opponents talent advantage. It's what the Sabres did to the Rangers last night. The clogged up the ice and limited the Rangers 5 on 5. Actually the Rangers out scored Buffalo 5 on 5 1-0. The Sabres were able to win the special teams battle. It's a tried and true system to over come talent. Lindy and the Sabres played a near perfect road game. Again, over a 82 game season the Rangers roster has more depth and it will show. The Sabres have a top heavy lineup which may cause some issues down the road.

If you don't see and appreciate the value of Numminen, not sure what anyone can say. No coincidence that the Sabres have allowed three goals in the four games since Teppo's return and appear to be so much calmer and in control? You want to plug a kid in who hasn't proven himself on the NHL level yet? OK.

As for the style of play, I think it's less Lindy looking at his lineup, figuring it's deficient of talent and thinking he has to play the trap to survive, and more his realization that defensively the Sabres had to improve to be a true contender. (Or did you mean overcoming the Rangers' talent?)

The Sabres are like the country right now. They were irresponsible, had a party, got drunk and now have to end their profligate ways and sober up. Responsibility is the buzzword.

The thing is, you don't need to bang bodies in your own zone if the other team can't enter it, and when they dump it you have a guy like Teppo that can clear the puck in two touches.

The thing is, you don't need to bang bodies in your own zone if the other team can't enter it, and when they dump it you have a guy like Teppo that can clear the puck in two touches.

And that's a great ability to have out there, especially when mixed with the right kind of players. At this point, we've got a decent number of players out there who will throw the body around, whether its defensemen like Rivet and Spacek or forwards like Kaleta, Paille, MacArthur and even guys like Kotalik so far. Then when you get a guy like Gaustad back, there's another physical player out there.

Guys like Teppo bring a great balance to that lineup. There's going to be a good mix of guys out there and the biggest thing in my mind is to consistently get these efforts out of them. That's the big thing I'm waiting to see from this team, how they bounce back from a loss. It was a huge problem last year. If the leaders like Rivet and Numinen can keep a good head on the players' shoulders, they are going to be in a very solid position.

If you don't see and appreciate the value of Numminen, not sure what anyone can say. No coincidence that the Sabres have allowed three goals in the four games since Teppo's return and appear to be so much calmer and in control? You want to plug a kid in who hasn't proven himself on the NHL level yet? OK.

As for the style of play, I think it's less Lindy looking at his lineup, figuring it's deficient of talent and thinking he has to play the trap to survive, and more his realization that defensively the Sabres had to improve to be a true contender. (Or did you mean overcoming the Rangers' talent?)

The Sabres are like the country right now. They were irresponsible, had a party, got drunk and now have to end their profligate ways and sober up. Responsibility is the buzzword.

My issue with bringing him back was health and age..If he makes it for 60 games and the playoffs and plays like he has for the first three games I dont have a problem..How can anyone have a problem withanyone on the defense, They have let in a goal a game so far...

Regarding the relative talent levels of the Rangers' and Sabres' forwards: do you think the Rangers' 2nd & 3rd lines will outscore the Sabres' 2nd & 3rd lines this year? If so, would you like to bet (which could be for a charitable donation or simply for bragging rights)?

Regarding Teppo: I'll echo the nicely worded sentiments of XB and Shrader.

And that's a great ability to have out there, especially when mixed with the right kind of players. At this point, we've got a decent number of players out there who will throw the body around, whether its defensemen like Rivet and Spacek or forwards like Kaleta, Paille, MacArthur and even guys like Kotalik so far. Then when you get a guy like Gaustad back, there's another physical player out there.

Guys like Teppo bring a great balance to that lineup. There's going to be a good mix of guys out there and the biggest thing in my mind is to consistently get these efforts out of them. That's the big thing I'm waiting to see from this team, how they bounce back from a loss. It was a huge problem last year. If the leaders like Rivet and Numinen can keep a good head on the players' shoulders, they are going to be in a very solid position.

I did mean the Rangers talent.

Regarding the relative talent levels of the Rangers' and Sabres' forwards: do you think the Rangers' 2nd & 3rd lines will outscore the Sabres' 2nd & 3rd lines this year? If so, would you like to bet (which could be for a charitable donation or simply for bragging rights)?

Regarding Teppo: I'll echo the nicely worded sentiments of XB and Shrader.

Sure!

Let's take the total goals scored by the Sabres minus Vanek-Roy-Pominville vs the Rangers minus Drury-Gomez-Naslund. A $25 donation to which ever charity the other chooses. I prefer animal based charities like the SPCA or Dog Rescues. Just in case TW forgot. We have the Vanek vs B-Rod bet going this season. That bet will be close as B-Rod picks up his garbage assists in Philly loses.

Sure!

Let's take the total goals scored by the Sabres minus Vanek-Roy-Pominville vs the Rangers minus Drury-Gomez-Naslund. A $25 donation to which ever charity the other chooses. I prefer animal based charities like the SPCA or Dog Rescues. Just in case TW forgot. We have the Vanek vs B-Rod bet going this season. That bet will be close as B-Rod picks up his garbage assists in Philly loses.

Well, your proposal is different from mine, since you are taking Pominville away and he doesn't play with Vanek and Roy, but I'll still take the bet since it's for charity. Regular season only, or playoffs included?

Well, your proposal is different from mine, since you are taking Pominville away and he doesn't play with Vanek and Roy, but I'll still take the bet since it's for charity. Regular season only, or playoffs included?

Regular season works.

Pominiville may not play with Roy and Vanek but throughout the conversation I included him in the point of the Sabres being top heavy in talent. He is clearly a first line winger that the Sabres play on the second to try to create balance. It really does go to my point. A player like Stafford is a third line winger at best at this point in his career. Because the Sabres have depth issues they have to play Stafford in a role that doesn't suit him. The same with Pominville. Pominville's numbers are going to suffer the longer he has to play with out a real center.

Regular season works.

Pominiville may not play with Roy and Vanek but throughout the conversation I included him in the point of the Sabres being top heavy in talent. He is clearly a first line winger that the Sabres play on the second to try to create balance. It really does go to my point. A player like Stafford is a third line winger at best at this point in his career. Because the Sabres have depth issues they have to play Stafford in a role that doesn't suit him. The same with Pominville. Pominville's numbers are going to suffer the longer he has to play with out a real center.

No problem. Game on!

Archived