[OT] Doggy Style

inkman

So I was walking Fenway, my 5 month old black lab pup, early on Sunday morning. I had headphones on so I couldn't hear everything that was going on around me, which I found out became rather important. Out of nowhere, a massive German Sheppard mix comes barrelling onto the street and starts going after my dog. I had no time to react and did everything I could to keep my pup away from Cujo and after a brief exchange between the dogs, my yelling chased the dog back into it's yard.

So here's my quandry: Do I walk a different route, carry a weapon, buy some pepper spray, or is their another alternative that I haven't thought of?

I really don't want to change my route as the bad dog house is on the way to the canal path that I regularly walk on with Fenway. I also don't want to take up the hobby of beating my neighbors pets. Anyone have an experience with situations like these?

So I was walking Fenway, my 5 month old black lab pup, early on Sunday morning. I had headphones on so I couldn't hear everything that was going on around me, which I found out became rather important. Out of nowhere, a massive German Sheppard mix comes barrelling onto the street and starts going after my dog. I had no time to react and did everything I could to keep my pup away from Cujo and after a brief exchange between the dogs, my yelling chased the dog back into it's yard.

So here's my quandry: Do I walk a different route, carry a weapon, buy some pepper spray, or is their another alternative that I haven't thought of?

I really don't want to change my route as the bad dog house is on the way to the canal path that I regularly walk on with Fenway. I also don't want to take up the hobby of beating my neighbors pets. Anyone have an experience with situations like these?

Try giving the German Sheppard doggie treats. <_<

Go to the Fairport Police office (http://www.village.fairport.ny.us/POLICE_DEPARTMENT.cfm) and file an incident report. They might be able to pay the house a visit and let the owners know they should keep their dog tied up. The police can be more coercive than some random guy. You know how people are, "oh my dog/child would never do such a thing! you're crazy!"

Good luck

Go to the Fairport Police office (http://www.village.fairport.ny.us/POLICE_DEPARTMENT.cfm) and file an incident report. They might be able to pay the house a visit and let the owners know they should keep their dog tied up. The police can be more coercive than some random guy. You know how people are, "oh my dog/child would never do such a thing! you're crazy!"

Good luck

I agree. I've been chased 3 different times by an owner's dogs, one being a pitbull, as I was running my favorite route. It scared the shiit out of me. Same dogs chased down a friend of mine. Instead of running away he did the smart thing and jumped into someone's fenced yard. He waited 20 minutes for the dogs to leave! He got in contact w/ the police department and filed a complaint. Apparently this has happened to other people as well. After the police stopped by, the dogs have been kept where they're supposed to be.

Assuming there is a leash law, you should report it to the police every time the GSD comes after Fenway. Eventually it will get escalated to fines if the situation isn't remedied. If that doesn't work the dog goes to the pound.

In the meantime, a minature bat or just a stick might be a good idea.

I had a neighbor that had a problem with another neighbor's GSD. The way he fixed it was that he replaced his old pup (which died partially due to injuries caused by the GSD) with an Akita. :chris:

BTW, once your pup is full grown, he ought to be able to deal with the GSD.

BTW, once your pup is full grown, he ought to be able to deal with the GSD.

Well, since I've walked past their several times and this was the only incident, I'll see what happens. I'm not too worried about Fenway. He's well on his way to being a BIG boy. I am a little worried about my own safetey. This dog was at least 6 feet long and well over 100lbs. Perhaps carrying a little sometin-sometin, for our freindly neighborhood dog would be wise.

I was once told that if a dog attacks you while running offer it your forearm to bite on so that you can then pummel it in the top of the head with your other arm.

I was chased by a dog one time and tried to do that... the funny thing was, is that a few of my other friends kept running and after I stopped the dog decided he'd rather go after the running targets. Did the dog try to bite your dog or you? Sometimes when they come barrelling out they don't mean any harm, just really crazy excited... in any case, it still may be just just to tell the cops to tell the guy to watch his damn dog and keep it from going crazy. We don't usually let our lab out in the front yard without someone out there to tell her to get the hell back when she tries to run after people (shes just running to say hi, not a mean bone in her body).

It really isn't safe for you, your dog, or even the dog thats running about to be just flyin around all willie-nillie.

i agree with the police report suggestions. owners listen to the cops more than they listen to the other angry owners.

however, when it comes to pitbulls, i got no issue with carrying a baton to beat the sh!te out of 'em. i love all animals, but pitbulls are not meant for domestication. anyone who owns one is FAIL in my book.

i agree with the police report suggestions. owners listen to the cops more than they listen to the other angry owners.

however, when it comes to pitbulls, i got no issue with carrying a baton to beat the sh!te out of 'em. i love all animals, but pitbulls are not meant for domestication. anyone who owns one is FAIL in my book.

call Ceasar Millan.

Go buy some steel toed boots, and next time that dog comes running up, rear back with all your might and kick the dog square in the jaw----bet you never see that dog again, and if you do, you would only see his tail because he would be running away as fast as he could...

I actually had to do it once(minus the steel toed boots) because the dog was trying to take a piece out of me while I was delivering newspapers growing up....it also has the disadvantage to attempt to attack someone that was a soccer player, and I kicked the dog so hard it was knocked out for quite a while...it was a perfectly timed kick too....I wound up and caught the dog square under the jaw right as it came up to me...next time I walked by the house the dog whimpered and ran back in its yard...guess it learned its lesson...

I actually know quite a few people with very nice pitbulls. Its just the idiots who own them that make them into the hell hounds they are known as

Archived