Shocking News!!!! Connolly out with a sore back

tom webster

While it is just the preseason, it is just a reminder that the Sabres are in big trouble at "scoring line center" if Connolly or Roy go down for any period of time and don't tell me Hecht, Gaustad or Kotalik(because he skated 2 shifts at center at some point in his career) can fill in....at least not for more than a game or so.

PS To all...If you were at the game last night, you would know that Zagrapan is not the answer, so don't even think about bringing his name into the conversation.

...it is just a reminder that the Sabres are in big trouble at "scoring line center" if Connolly...go down for any period of time

:lol:

PS To all...If you were at the game last night, you would know that Zagrapan is not the answer, so don't even think about bringing his name into the conversation.

Zagrapan is the answer. The answer to which Sabre's prospect is most likey to make fans go :rolleyes: .

"If" Connolly goes down is hilarious. If this team or the fans are counting on Tim Connolly to contribute anything they are heading for disappointment.

So he's going to play 0 games and put up 0 points? Last time I checked even getting in 40 games and putting up some numbers would count as a contribution. Yeah, we want more than that obviously, but to say he won't contribute anything is crazy.

So he's going to play 0 games and put up 0 points? Last time I checked even getting in 40 games and putting up some numbers would count as a contribution. Yeah, we want more than that obviously, but to say he won't contribute anything is crazy.

You missed the point. The point is that whatever he does contribute is bonus. Like a rookie coming out of nowhere and putting up some points like Pominville did a few seasons back. The Sabres need to have a plan in place for when Connolly goes down. If they can squeeze 40 games and 25 points out of him? That would be great. The Sabres need to rely on their core players which Connolly is not part of. The Sabres need to rely on Vanek, Roy and Pominville to carry this team offensively. Consider Connolly an expensive fourth liner.

You missed the point. The point is that whatever he does contribute is bonus. Like a rookie coming out of nowhere and putting up some points like Pominville did a few seasons back. The Sabres need to have a plan in place for when Connolly goes down. If they can squeeze 40 games and 25 points out of him? That would be great. The Sabres need to rely on their core players which Connolly is not part of. The Sabres need to rely on Vanek, Roy and Pominville to carry this team offensively. Consider Connolly an expensive fourth liner.

As a disappointed Connolly fan, I hate to admit it, but DeLuca is mostly right here. I would point out though that for the games in which he's healthy, Connolly will be a top-2-line player.

Until I read the article Tom W quotes above, I was semi-expecting Connolly to play most of the year, but this is certainly a bad (if not surprising) omen.

To go into the season with him penciled in as your number 2 center is like playing russian rulette with all chambers loaded..CERTAIN DEATH...They really neeeded to bring in an above average center to fill that spot..I dont think Hecht can even be considered an average center...He is an average winger but to put him at center weakens another spot way more than it helps anywhere else..They will sell out all their games make a nice buck and we will wait till Tyler Ennis grows into anything...This team has a long way to go to be the team they were 3 seasons ago..

Until I read the article Tom W quotes above, I was semi-expecting Connolly to play most of the year, but this is certainly a bad (if not surprising) omen.

And I think it's nothing more than people overanalyzing the situation. It's not an injury that he has a history with, nothing with the head or legs. The article even said that he practiced at full speed all weekend. It's just the preseason, you don't put any rostered player at risk if he's not 100%. Will he get hurt at some point, yeah, most likely. Pretty much everyone on this team will, but this is hardly a doom and gloom moment right now.

:thumbsup: Agreed, you defintely cannot count on him full time, some special teams and fourth line minutes are all I would optimistically plan for then everything else beyond is bonus.

As a disappointed Connolly fan, I hate to admit it, but DeLuca is mostly right here. I would point out though that for the games in which he's healthy, Connolly will be a top-2-line player.

Yes sir worst part about that is anyone with back trouble knows that it never, ever goes completely away, it just flares up when you least like it or expect it. That pretty much ensures you cannot count on him.

Yes sir worst part about that is anyone with back trouble knows that it never, ever goes completely away, it just flares up when you least like it or expect it. That pretty much ensures you cannot count on him.

What part of "Connolly is nursing a sore back and was held out as a precaution." equates to suddenly having back trouble? It could be a muscle strain. It could be a bruise. To read that one sentence and suddenly say that he has a back problem is just a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

But let's completely ignore the next two lines where it says he practiced all weekend at full speed and is expected to play in the next game.

And I think it's nothing more than people overanalyzing the situation. It's not an injury that he has a history with, nothing with the head or legs. The article even said that he practiced at full speed all weekend. It's just the preseason, you don't put any rostered player at risk if he's not 100%. Will he get hurt at some point, yeah, most likely. Pretty much everyone on this team will, but this is hardly a doom and gloom moment right now.

Agreed. With his history of injuries, and the talent that he does have, Sabres really need a strong game plan for him. Connolly is a point per game player and a great #2 center when healthy. I understand that's almost impossible but to sit him for meaningless game, i think it's a smart move. Connolly's health means alot to Sabres success.

What part of "Connolly is nursing a sore back and was held out as a precaution." equates to suddenly having back trouble? It could be a muscle strain. It could be a bruise. To read that one sentence and suddenly say that he has a back problem is just a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

But let's completely ignore the next two lines where it says he practiced all weekend at full speed and is expected to play in the next game.

I think whenever the word "injury" and "Connolly" are associated it's much like "inkman" and "Southern Comfort". Bad things, man, bad things...

I think whenever the word "injury" and "Connolly" are associated it's much like "inkman" and "Southern Comfort". Bad things, man, bad things...

Thanks for reminding me of my recent run ins with liquor. Bad things is right.

I could think of somebody:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/index.php?showtopic=13480

(Yes, I know it won't happen, but sure would be nice.)

He really has them by the balls there. The Kings aren't even close to the floor and they need to add to their payroll. I don't know how many options they have at this point.

I always find these discussions funny on how great a player Timmy is, and how he is a top line type player when about 2-3 seasons ago (so in Timmy time, thats 1 full season played) almost everyone wanted to see him traded for used jocks and some stale pretzels, and putting him at the same level as Peters. He has the equivelant of 1 full season roughly, and can't stay healthy, yet now he is a mahjor key to the Sabres success?

Thanks for reminding me of my recent run ins with liquor. Bad things is right.

He really has them by the balls there. The Kings aren't even close to the floor and they need to add to their payroll. I don't know how many options they have at this point.

They are within $1.2 million of the floor with 22 players counted. They can easily attain the floor. The hang up with him is that he wants a short term deal and the team wants nothing less then a 3 year deal.

He has the equivelant of 1 full season roughly, and can't stay healthy, yet now he is a mahjor key to the Sabres success?

That is why I always have a :huh: look on my face whenever I read a fan stating how important Connolly is to the team. That is the problem. He shouldn't be important at all. He should be a spare part, a luxury, not a player this team can count on. He has proven he can't be counted on, yet all I seem to read is how great Tim is when he is healthy. That and 3 bucks :cry: will get you a cup of coffee.

This organization has made a horrible decision to count on Connolly for anything. Someone should be in his place, that can be counted on. Trade Max, trade Tallinder, do whatever it takes to get a #2 center (although some would argue that Roy isn't even a number 1).

They are within $1.2 million of the floor with 22 players counted. They can easily attain the floor. The hang up with him is that he wants a short term deal and the team wants nothing less then a 3 year deal.

A short term deal? That's right up Darcy's alley! We all know how much it pains him to shell out more than 4 years.

I always find these discussions funny on how great a player Timmy is, and how he is a top line type player when about 2-3 seasons ago (so in Timmy time, thats 1 full season played) almost everyone wanted to see him traded for used jocks and some stale pretzels, and putting him at the same level as Peters. He has the equivelant of 1 full season roughly, and can't stay healthy, yet now he is a mahjor key to the Sabres success?

3 years ago you had Briere, Drury and an up and coming Roy on the team. Now you have just Roy. Now ask yourself again why people have changed their opinion on Connolly's value to the Sabres if he can stay healthy. ;)

Archived