Shocking News!!!! Connolly out with a sore back

tom webster

I really just laughed out loud after seeing your avatar. Man, I hate doc.

Oh yea, I guess Gerbe makes the team by default since "Tin" Connolly and the Goose are both out.

Got it from here.

Seriously, one of the funniest threads I've ever seen anywhere.

Before that, I used this:

I hope Connolly doesn't turn out to be the Carl Pavano of hockey (not that any player in any sport in history could have been a bigger rip-off). I'd say him playing over 60 games would be a raging success as long as he's playing up to form (I'd take 40 games of good form if they came at the end of the year). Problem with him is that as soon as one thing clears up, he's down with another. At least we'll be done with the drama after this season - I don't see any way that the Sabres take a chance on resigning him again (unless he plays almost every game - then I hope they give him a small 1 year deal).

Seriously, do people even bother to read? The linked story says he is expected to play in the next preseason game. Now all of a sudden he's out? You see those blue underlined things? They're called links. Click on them and then read them.

Just the beginning of the inevitable placement on IR my friend.

Seriously, do people even bother to read?

i think most of us do. although i didn't in this particular instance. :bag:

The linked story says he is expected to play in the next preseason game. Now all of a sudden he's out

the operative aspect of the story, from my perspective, was that connolly was being held out of the lineup before the season even started with some vague "wear and tear" soreness/injury. the discussion that followed sprang from the fact that this is a guy whose durability is a huge, huge issue for the team.

the fact that he's going to dress for the next preseason game is really just cold comfort. if a similar pattern were to emerge in the regular season, i suspect we'd be getting ~50 games out of tim, at most. which would be bad.

the operative aspect of the story, from my perspective, was that connolly was being held out of the lineup before the season even started with some vague "wear and tear" soreness/injury. the discussion that followed sprang from the fact that this is a guy whose durability is a huge, huge issue for the team.

the fact that he's going to dress for the next preseason game is really just cold comfort. if a similar pattern were to emerge in the regular season, i suspect we'd be getting ~50 games out of tim, at most. which would be bad.

How about the fact that he practiced fully in practice over that same time period? What that tells me is that he's sore and would play if it was the regular season. Since it's the preseason, there is no point.

How about the fact that he practiced fully in practice over that same time period? What that tells me is that he's sore and would play if it was the regular season. Since it's the preseason, there is no point.

sure there is. the concern that is easily triggered (and for good reason) is that you've got a guy who (i) had season-ending surgery last year and (ii) has a history of not just missing 6 weeks with, say, a sprained knee, but also missing 6 games here and then 5 games there for more vaguely disclosed injuries (the strained muscle (as in november 2007), pulled groin (as in february 2008) or just "illness" (as in christmas 2007)).

Here's a bit more gasoline for the fire: Timmy didn't play last night either.

BTW, Shrader -- are you seriously saying that reports of Connolly missing time in preseason with yet another injury are meaningless and no cause for concern? How potent is that Massachusetts cannabis?

BTW, Shrader -- are you seriously saying that reports of Connolly missing time in preseason with yet another injury are meaningless and no cause for concern? How potent is that Massachusetts cannabis?

This stinks in more ways than one, cause if Timmy misses time right from day 1, you just know Larry the Moron and Darcy will use that as an excuse, should we miss the playoffs yet again.

This stinks in more ways than one, cause if Timmy misses time right from day 1, you just know Larry the Moron and Darcy will use that as an excuse, should we miss the playoffs yet again.

Probably not, they will have to use injuries in general, not just to Timmy, like the injury to Gaustad, and Paille having a leg injury I believe

If anything, they will use it as an excuse to re-sign him to a new deal because he will come cheap because he missed time, and that he will be well rested from all the time off he has had due to injury

Talk to me when the injury is to his head/neck or legs. Those are his problem areas.

Talk to me when the injury is to his head/neck or legs body. Those are That is his problem areas.

as fixed, i'm talking at ya.

(seriously, the fact that he had to have his hip shaved down in the spring and now his "back" is too sore for him to go in a game isn't worth our concern? puhleez.)

Talk to me when the injury is to his head/neck or legs. Those are his problem areas.

Shrader, I like you, so I will navigate this topic with much more discretion than normal. Why are you so adamant about Tim and his injury status? Dude has had a history, regardless of what body parts, of getting injured. I think it's only normal for Sabres fans to raise the red flag when any issues with health come up with Connolly.

Shrader, I like you, so I will navigate this topic with much more discretion than normal. Why are you so adamant about Tim and his injury status? Dude has had a history, regardless of what body parts, of getting injured. I think it's only normal for Sabres fans to raise the red flag when any issues with health come up with Connolly.

He's held out of a preseason game for a sore back. Big f'n deal. This will not cost him any game time. I'm far more concerned about a guy like Gaustad who is already guaranteed of missing time.

The Connolly thing is so vague, yet people already assume the worst. The injuries he's missed all this time for over the last few years have all been head or leg. Yes, the back could be tied into either of those, but call me crazy, but I'll wait to hear more before I jump over the ledge.

He's held out of a preseason game for a sore back. Big f'n deal. This will not cost him any game time. I'm far more concerned about a guy like Gaustad who is already guaranteed of missing time.

The Connolly thing is so vague, yet people already assume the worst. The injuries he's missed all this time for over the last few years have all been head or leg. Yes, the back could be tied into either of those, but call me crazy, but I'll wait to hear more before I jump over the ledge.

Well, if nothing else, I'll give you credit for sticking to your position, and I'll certainly hope you're right. But I'll also point out that a hip injury -- esp. one that requires surgery -- is at least as much back-related as it is leg-related, and that a hip injury ended Bo Jackson's career.

What's that song you're whistling as you saunter past the graveyard? Sabredance? It's catchy!

Well, if nothing else, I'll give you credit for sticking to your position, and I'll certainly hope you're right. But I'll also point out that a hip injury -- esp. one that requires surgery -- is at least as much back-related as it is leg-related, and that a hip injury ended Bo Jackson's career.

What's that song you're whistling as you saunter past the graveyard? Sabredance? It's catchy!

Yeah, there could very easily be a connection, but since it's just the preseason and he has been practicing, I'm not all that concerned at this point. If he's not on the ice at all, there's your red flag, a giant one the size of inkman's calves.

Shrader, I understand what you are saying, that he has not had a long history of back injuries, and that they say he is practicing at full speed, but that doesn't mean its not a concern.

Any injury is a concern when it comes to Timmy, and its not good to hear that another part of his body is starting to give him a problem. This is just another thing to add to the list of possible future concerns for him. Its not a good sign that he couldn't even make it through the Pre-season, after he didn't even play a full season last year, without something giving him issues

Shrader, I understand what you are saying, that he has not had a long history of back injuries, and that they say he is practicing at full speed, but that doesn't mean its not a concern.

Any injury is a concern when it comes to Timmy, and its not good to hear that another part of his body is starting to give him a problem. This is just another thing to add to the list of possible future concerns for him. Its not a good sign that he couldn't even make it through the Pre-season, after he didn't even play a full season last year, without something giving him issues

The thing is, if you go through that entire locker room, you'll find plenty of other nagging issues just like this one. Since it's Connolly it gets mentioned. These other veterans are sitting out games too. Should we say that they couldn't make it through the preseason either?

Like I said, when the player shuts down completely, then you worry.

The thing is, if you go through that entire locker room, you'll find plenty of other nagging issues just like this one. Since it's Connolly it gets mentioned. These other veterans are sitting out games too. Should we say that they couldn't make it through the preseason either?

Like I said, when the player shuts down completely, then you worry.

I don't know if that is true or not.

I'm sure there might be some sore muscles, or bumps and bruises, but nothing big enough that it is more then what a player usually might play with. Also, the other players in the locker room don't have injury histories like Timmy does. The only reasons this is a concern is because Timmy has a history of injury, and that they haven't even gotten through the pre-season and he is already being held out of games because of soreness/injury. Its not a good sign for him making it through the year injury free

Let's call it the anti-cry-wolf syndrome. When you have a history (now a few year) of missing time due to injuries, from minor to major, then even when it's very minor, people will assume that it's major. Sure, Goose will miss a few weeks due to a thumb injury, but other than getting his ankle severely cut by a skate blade (still made it back from what was thought to be a season-ending injury), he has missed just 6 games in 3 full season. He has been anything but injury prone. If Vanek or Pommer were nursing a sore back would you assume that they will miss a lot of time? No, because they've missed a combined 1 game in five NHL seasons (as starters).

Archived