Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I need to buy a shirt for work.    With the quote " I see dumb people ".

last 5 years I've seen a lot of good people leave the workplace leaving me behind with the idiots and retarded ones.

Only few of us keeping it going but if one or two the good guys leave, there is no more righting the ship.   

Hope our division gets sold soon, Owners pretty much stated they are looking for a buyer, so not investing in us any more. 

Mainly I just hope the new owners will clean up the work the place.

You should mini-golf and not movie. Def find someplace relaxed for dinner. Someplace that has drinks. This allows you to eat and then extend the date if things are going well.  Always want options on a first date.

My first date with my wife was at Pizza Plant (sadly, the location on Main that's now gone) and it worked out that way. I think we sat and ate/drank for 3 hours (the place wasn't busy so we weren't keeping a table occupied). Then took a walk and finally went our separate directions 6 hours after the date started.

My first date with my wife was at Pizza Plant (sadly, the location on Main that's now gone) and it worked out that way. I think we sat and ate/drank for 3 hours (the place wasn't busy so we weren't keeping a table occupied). Then took a walk and finally went our separate directions 6 hours after the date started.

I love it!

Someday, if I'm lucky, I'll tell the story of my last first date.

A co-worker of mine rides his bike to work every day. While that's all great and green and everything, it becomes a problem when one of us has to go to a remote location to fix a problem...like today, when I had to give up a couple of hours and drop my project work. In the end, it wasn't a huge deal, but we get into this discussion about when he's supposed to be in the office everyday:

Him: I wouldn't been in earlier, but the wind made my ride difficult.

Me: People who drive cars don't have that problem.

Him: Tell the company to pay me more and I'll buy a new car.

I paraphrased a bit, but yes...this actually happened.   :wallbash:

I will never tell any of my date stories on here, for fear of being banned.

On to my complaint. How they teach math today is just freaking awful. Awful, I say! They have to show their work, but they can't use a direct route to solve the problem. 38 + 52 =/= 90. It equals 40 + 50 - 2 + 2. What the F? That's stupid. If you have to show your work why not just stack the numbers and add them directly? And don't get me started on how they are teaching percentages. Thank God my wife has the patience to deal with this. I do math in my head for a living, and this blows my mind.

For the record, I have a good friend who is a math teacher who insists that this way is much better than how we were taught. I'm still not buying it. Who knows? I had a math tutor from 3rd grade til graduation.

On to my complaint. How they teach math today is just freaking awful. Awful, I say! They have to show their work, but they can't use a direct route to solve the problem. 38 + 52 =/= 90. It equals 40 + 50 - 2 + 2. What the F? That's ###### stupid. If you have to show your work why not just stack the numbers and ###### add them directly? And don't get me started on how they are teaching percentages. Thank God my wife has the patience to deal with this. I do math in my head for a living, and this ###### blows my mind.

For the record, I have a good friend who is a math teacher who insists that this way is much better than how we were taught. I'm still not buying it. Who knows? I had a math tutor from 3rd grade til graduation.

...what? Sure, complicate basic math, scare more kids away. Hurray 

Edited by WildCard

A co-worker of mine rides his bike to work every day. While that's all great and green and everything, it becomes a problem when one of us has to go to a remote location to fix a problem...like today, when I had to give up a couple of hours and drop my project work. In the end, it wasn't a huge deal, but we get into this discussion about when he's supposed to be in the office everyday:

Him: I wouldn't been in earlier, but the wind made my ride difficult.

Me: People who drive cars don't have that problem.

Him: Tell the company to pay me more and I'll buy a new car.

I paraphrased a bit, but yes...this actually happened.   :wallbash:

You should park someplace else nearby tomorrow and bring a pogo stick into the job with you and pretend like it's your new transportation to work. Then when there's a call offsite to fix a problem at a remote location tell him he has to go because his bike is faster than your pogo stick.

Edited by Drunkard

On to my complaint. How they teach math today is just freaking awful. Awful, I say! They have to show their work, but they can't use a direct route to solve the problem. 38 + 52 =/= 90. It equals 40 + 50 - 2 + 2. What the F? That's ###### stupid. If you have to show your work why not just stack the numbers and ###### add them directly? And don't get me started on how they are teaching percentages. Thank God my wife has the patience to deal with this. I do math in my head for a living, and this ###### blows my mind.

I don't think it's that stupid. They're not really teaching math at all. They're teaching thinking methods. 

I actually use math like that at my own job. It's easier sometimes. It's not always the best way to work with numbers, but it has its purpose. 

As usual, my concern with things like this is that it's probably being presented wrong, and taught wrong, and the expectations of the students are probably wrong. 

I don't think it's that stupid. They're not really teaching math at all. They're teaching thinking methods. 

I actually use math like that at my own job. It's easier sometimes. It's not always the best way to work with numbers, but it has its purpose. 

As usual, my concern with things like this is that it's probably being presented wrong, and taught wrong, and the expectations of the students are probably wrong. 

My thing is, not all kids learn the same way. If the kid gets the same problems right, consistently on differing variables, then don't tell he/she they're wrong because they didn't use that method

My thing is, not all kids learn the same way. If the kid gets the same problems right, consistently on differing variables, then don't tell he/she they're wrong because they didn't use that method

agreed, for instance on that problem my head added 4+5 put the 0 back. That extra 2 was immediately transferred to 38.

Right, and I think that's probably the problem here. This stuff is being presented as something a kid must do. Not something they could do

What is supposedly being taught is a method. The final answer isn't important. They want the kid to show how they got there. It's a basis for concepts like 'critical thinking'. We live in a world where it should matter how you got an answer, not just that you got it.  

Ideally you present a problem and say "Show two different ways to solve it." 

Unfortunately, I'm sure that's not what is happening. 

I think this is my main beef with it. It's 1 thinking method. Just 1. At work to come up with solutions we have several people all of whom will probably use a differing method on the same problem in a race to see who can come up with the answer the fastest.

My question/complaint is why eliminate a previous method in favor of a new one and punish students for correct answers that they arrived at via a different method. Is it as simple as teaching to the test? I don't know...

I think this is my main beef with it. It's 1 thinking method. Just 1. At work to come up with solutions we have several people all of whom will probably use a differing method on the same problem in a race to see who can come up with the answer the fastest.

My question/complaint is why eliminate a previous method in favor of a new one and punish students for correct answers that they arrived at via a different method. Is it as simple as teaching to the test? I don't know...

It probably is teaching to the test. We have a huge problem with that in this country. 

Right, and I think that's probably the problem here. This stuff is being presented as something a kid must do. Not something they could do

What is supposedly being taught is a method. The final answer isn't important. They want the kid to show how they got there. It's a basis for concepts like 'critical thinking'. We live in a world where it should matter how you got an answer, not just that you got it.  

Agreed on this.  I remember in high school math class my teacher didn't like that I would calculate the price of something with tax by multiplying the price x 1.06 vs. multiplying by 0.06 and then adding that amount to the price.  Both ways work, but the latter was an extra unnecessary step and shouldn't be required.

What they should be doing is teaching a method. Then on the test ask for how kids got answers. Any logical way should be excepted not just the way it was taught in class.

Right, and I think that's probably the problem here. This stuff is being presented as something a kid must do. Not something they could do.

What is supposedly being taught is a method. The final answer isn't important. They want the kid to show how they got there. It's a basis for concepts like 'critical thinking'. We live in a world where it should matter how you got an answer, not just that you got it.

So we're not in disagreement. I'm pretty sure we agree almost completely. It's being presented as the only way, and that's crap.

Agreed on this.  I remember in high school math class my teacher didn't like that I would calculate the price of something with tax by multiplying the price x 1.06 vs. multiplying by 0.06 and then adding that amount to the price.  Both ways work, but the latter was an extra unnecessary step and shouldn't be required.

I agree. Part of critical thinking is learning which steps you can eliminate from a process and get the same results.

Also I notice your signature every once in awhile. If you ever decide to get rid of that PM me because I really like that quote.

I agree. Part of critical thinking is learning which steps you can eliminate from a process and get the same results.

Also I notice your signature every once in awhile. If you ever decide to get rid of that PM me because I really like that quote.

You're welcome to take it back!  A couple others noticed it recently and wanted to borrow, too, lol... it's yours for the taking!

I'll just update mine to "see Liger's sig", lol.

You're welcome to take it back!  A couple others noticed it recently and wanted to borrow, too, lol... it's yours for the taking!

I'll just update mine to "see Liger's sig", lol.

lol no no keep it. I just had forgotten about it. I still stand by it.

I have a date this weekend. Now, you might be wondering why this is in the complaint threat...because it's on a Sunday night. WTF am I supposed to do at 8pm Sunday night in the middle of winter? No, cooking and staying in is not an option because my cooking...yea, it's not an option. Dinner and a movie it is! How delightfully unoriginal.

I would definitely advise against a movie on the first date. Kills the potential for conversation for a few hours. But if you do see one, do that before dinner. Gives you an easy thing to talk about at dinner if you're struggling and need an easy out. My first date with my current girlfriend was a Sabres game last year, the February game against the Stars. Worked out really well, gave us a few hours to talk, even though she's not a big hockey fan it went really well for that reason.

Right. All methods should be accepted. But kids should be encouraged to explore a variety of methods. 

So we're not in disagreement. I'm pretty sure we agree almost completely. It's being presented as the only way, and that's crap.

Yes. We agree. It's not crap outright. But crap because of implementation. 

Right. All methods should be accepted. But kids should be encouraged to explore a variety of methods. 

Yes. We agree. It's not crap outright. But crap because of implementation. 

For sure.  Some people learn better different ways, so teaching different ways of looking at and answering a question is a good thing, but definitely not at the exclusion of other methods.

What they should be doing is teaching a method. Then on the test ask for how kids got answers. Any logical way should be excepted not just the way it was taught in class.

Yes!  My 12yo son is in the advanced math group at his school.    He's good at numbers and does it quickly in his head in his own way and comes up with the correct answers, however he loses a lot of credit because his explanations aren't always what the teacher is looking for.    His explanations actually makes sense and he gets the right answer, but loses credit because it's not the way they were taught to do it.

What this does is helps kids who are not naturally good at math by giving them a single path to the answer.    However, this punishes kids who are naturally good with numbers because it forces them to think like everyone else.    It drives me nuts to see my kid get so discouraged because he's losing points even though he has the correct answers.   My younger boy isn't as proficient at math but is better at memorization so his math grade is likely better than it would be without common core.